A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letting the engine roar...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Letting the engine roar...

Has anyone here removed their mufflers? This v8 is too quiet, even under WOT.

I know some motors sound better than others, just wondering about the A8's.

Back when I commuted in a 540i, I replaced both mufflers with straight through resonators, and the sound was intoxicating. Sounded stock at idle, but like an angry tiger under heavy throttle.

Thinking of doing the same thing to the A8, muffler replacement with 14" resonators, keeping the stock tips and placement. But, am having trouble finding exhaust clips to judge the sound.

I do NOT want to, nor will I, replace with a so-called fart can or straight pipe. What I want is subtle when I want it, but aggressive under heavy throttle.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default I recall very little here; try other V8 Audi's

I recall very little here, and 4.2 is not known for any real HP gains with stuff like this that slows tuners down further. But I also get that's not what you are after. A first suggestion is to look at posts from either the D2 board or the C5 (A6/S6) board. On the latter you have to find the V8's rather than the 2.8 and 3.0 N.A.'s and the 2.7T's. Thus cars are all old enough where you would find more of a history of mods, and the C5 had more volume than the D cars generally. I remember some doing mods on the C5's using off the shelf type parts without buying a specific exhaust set up for it. Also, just look for sound clips for those vehicles too, not just the D3. A few did the C5 with the RS6 sport exhaust, but those are long gone now availability wise. The prior V8 S4 or S5 for that matter might be good exemplars, which probably had a lot more exhaust modding;anything quad tipped though would mean modding the rear lower bumper area; you can also find take off exhausts from RS5's. Near me in SF Bay Area, even a D3 S8 (V10) stock exhaust on the cheap. I'm skipping R8 4.2 as just too different for an exhaust set up to be a comparable.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-17-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Second the other body style searches.

There are lots of B6/B7 s4 videos on YouTube. They should get you close to the sound you want. They have a little different 4.2 and are overall shorter in length, but I don't know how much that will effect he sound.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, there are few vids on YouTube, but with no list of mods, the sound clips have almost no value.

I need no increase in hp, but love a nice rumble from a v8
Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I went round and round with my son when the subject of exhaust systems on Audi and VW is concerned. The engineers at VAG have done their homework. There are no practical HP gains to be had by putting a different exhaust system on or modding the existing one.

If you want a louder exhaust, then that is a slightly different yet related matter. Change the back pressure and the engine performance will likely suffer. Too little backpressure can lead to exhaust valve overheating. Too much robs power. Changing the length changes the tuning of the exhaust and will affect the scavenging action of a well tuned exhaust system.

Food for thought.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I do like the quietness of the A8L that's why I bought it... but

I do love the roar when I want to hear... it's totally cool. I used to put ansa muffler on my Lancia to make it sounds louder but when I was young, still, I took them off after a month or 2, the constant roars was unbearable.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-17-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Louis, what muffler (if any) are you using in the posted vid?
Old 05-17-2015, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

My car is stock - original exhaust system. Both Q7 and A8 roar when you floored them.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It's a got a hearty note, but it's not loud. I think it was Car and Driver that once said of the 4.2 in the A8 that it sounded like something very exciting was happening someplace else.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

You might check the air INTAKE - there's a flap/valve that opens under certain conditions at low vacuum, and it makes a surprising difference to the sound. Mine was disconnected (incompetence) when I got it.
Look on the rear of the air filter housing; there's a U-shaped vacuum hose.
I agree I'd like to hear the "roar" more! The S8 has cutouts that open, IIRC they are near the end of the exhaust system and bypass part of the rear "silencers". One of my "Dream Mods" I'll probably never accomplish 'cuz there's always something more important to do with the money*... :'(

You could always try one of these; they sense the RPMs and react accordingly. Hey, it works for BMW (they pipe in artificial engine sound via stereo's speakers)
The app I tried was pretty funny, especially for the kiddies.

*On a brighter note, I'm getting a PUPPY! I feel like a kid at Christmas! One Black Lab, please!

-Tom

Quick Reply: Letting the engine roar...