A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI failure-dealer suggests Interface box

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI failure-dealer suggests Interface box

(2004 A8 D3)
For a few weeks now my MMI has been acting strange. It would shut off without warning and I'd have to press the power button multiple times before it would reboot. Sometimes the screen went black and closed, sometimes it went black and stayed up. Sometimes all the lights on the console would be lit up. Usually if I put the ignition key in and out 3 or 4 times it would start working again. If I did a VAG check on the CAN BUS while it was working it showed a fault code with the optical bus. If I attempted to VAG the car while MMI is not working it generated fault codes on just about everything attached to the bus.

I took it to the Dealer yesterday and when it was there the MMI happened to be down. Their suggestion is that I need the MMI Control Interface Box which runs $1250.

That's a lot of money. I think I'm going to try to get to the box (I believe it's behind the glove compartment)and wiggle the wires first.

I'm interested if anyone has a parts car for this item. The part numbers I need are:
4E0-910-732-SX (which replaces old part number 4E0-910-729-JX) I could use either one.

I will appreciate any comments, Thanks in advance for keeping this great site going.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BongoCruiser
(2004 A8 D3)
For a few weeks now my MMI has been acting strange. It would shut off without warning and I'd have to press the power button multiple times before it would reboot. Sometimes the screen went black and closed, sometimes it went black and stayed up. Sometimes all the lights on the console would be lit up. Usually if I put the ignition key in and out 3 or 4 times it would start working again. If I did a VAG check on the CAN BUS while it was working it showed a fault code with the optical bus. If I attempted to VAG the car while MMI is not working it generated fault codes on just about everything attached to the bus.

I took it to the Dealer yesterday and when it was there the MMI happened to be down. Their suggestion is that I need the MMI Control Interface Box which runs $1250.

That's a lot of money. I think I'm going to try to get to the box (I believe it's behind the glove compartment)and wiggle the wires first.

I'm interested if anyone has a parts car for this item. The part numbers I need are:
4E0-910-732-SX (which replaces old part number 4E0-910-729-JX) I could use either one.

I will appreciate any comments, Thanks in advance for keeping this great site going.
If they ran a MOST ring break test while the MMI system was down, it should pin point the bad module. You also mentioned that the console lit up also. If your talking about the MMI control panel LEDS, this would indicate that you possibly have a stuck button on the MMI console or a bad/damaged MMI panel. If any liquid spills into the MMI console panel, it will cause the MMI to shut down just like you've mentioned.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think they did because as I understand it they would have had to remove the glove box. I'm thinking that maybe you can do a ring break test on modules like the amplifier or cd player but if the interface box is the culpret it's like the bus station being shut down. I wish there was a way to swap the part bfore spending $1200. I'm leaning toward finding a used one at this point but still open for suggestions.
Thanks
Joe
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BongoCruiser
I don't think they did because as I understand it they would have had to remove the glove box. I'm thinking that maybe you can do a ring break test on modules like the amplifier or cd player but if the interface box is the culpret it's like the bus station being shut down. I wish there was a way to swap the part bfore spending $1200. I'm leaning toward finding a used one at this point but still open for suggestions.
Thanks
Joe
No, you don't have to take anything apart. The MOST ring break diagnosis test is performed with a VAS scanner and is initiated through the 19 module (Gateway). Only thing is, the MMI system must be malfunctioning or down when this test is performed. If the system is working, test will not show anything is wrong. I would suspect the MMI console, as they are notorious for shutting down the MMI on the early MMI2G systems with early software. Try holding a MMI key down for a while when the MMI system is working and see if it shuts down and the MMI console lights up.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can't claim any expertise, but...

... mine would occasionally give similar symptoms when I first got the car. It appeared that a cup of coffee (or maple syrup?) had been spilled on the MMI console, causing some of the buttons to 'stick'. If you try them gently, you can feel which of the buttons give the desired 'micro switch click' and which ones do not. I followed Mishar's advice and invested in a small can of 'DeOxit' from radio shack. Buy the real stuff, not a copy. It's a kind of contact cleaner and when sprayed on the MMI console (with my eyes shut, and covered, and head turned away in case it exploded...), freed up the stuck switches. It cost about $16 I think for a tiny can. Pricy for that, yes, but cheaper than the stealer and their $1200 MMI box...

On your head be it, but I'd say give it a try.

If all else fails, you could 'engage Jake protocol', and just buy a $100K D4, but maybe try the sixteen buck sprayee thing first...

K9
Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think there is a problem somewhere in Most, not your MMI fried. Check navi fuse in the trunk.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's more likely an issue with a component on the fibre ring than the interfacebox.

Have heard of other modules causing problems.
Stuck keys also highly likely as well as fuse.

Odds IMHO
70% ring
15% other module
10% stuck keys
4% Interfacebox
1% other

Also have you run the optical bus diagnostics when things are working ?

Yes Mav $16 < $100,000

"Jake Protocol". I'm using that from now on...

Last edited by jakematic; 06-06-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Incorrect German spelling in the plural
Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Yep, I'll bet on the usual "Pepsi Syndrome" too...

In the whole history of the board, I'm not sure I remember a single post where the MMI control box got replaced due to straight failure. Maybe two got bricked in the MMI 41.xx update debacle where they skipped 33.60 (and used bootleg software to add to the fun), but I think that may have been it. By contrast, probably 20+ posts over time about "Pepsi Syndrome" w/ the liquids spilled on the buttons--so named for an SNL spoof on China Syndrome where the Pepsi gets applied to the nuke controls. Now it seems like later owners buying one w/ a problem; earlier it was folks sheepishly admitting to the soft drinks and Lattes on the buttons. Dozens of posts over time on the mechanical screen of course too.

Can't be sure, but yes I too vote for the can of good cleaner first, and then even still really looking hard at the button assembly before laying out $ 3x that for the MMI controller.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-06-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So....here I am with my first problem on the W12.

Yesterday morning I got a warning come up which was around the battery going into management mode. I assumed that something had been left on, but the car started perfectly well and I drove it the 40 miles to the airport. When I got back to the car, I noticed that my keyless entry wasn't working and the MMI wasn't coming up.
I got home, and put the car onto an 'intelligent' charge and left it.

Next morning keyless go is working fine and no warning lights.....but also no MMI, nothing, nada!!

Any thoughts from anyone on where to start? I plugged in VAGCOM and all I am getting is "Cannot be reached" messages across the board.

Had hoped it would just start up again!! :-(
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by firestarter_phil
So....here I am with my first problem on the W12.

Yesterday morning I got a warning come up which was around the battery going into management mode. I assumed that something had been left on, but the car started perfectly well and I drove it the 40 miles to the airport. When I got back to the car, I noticed that my keyless entry wasn't working and the MMI wasn't coming up.
I got home, and put the car onto an 'intelligent' charge and left it.

Next morning keyless go is working fine and no warning lights.....but also no MMI, nothing, nada!!

Any thoughts from anyone on where to start? I plugged in VAGCOM and all I am getting is "Cannot be reached" messages across the board.

Had hoped it would just start up again!! :-(
Most likely your battery is to blame now, but the Battery energy manager is causing the problem. you probably have the 10% battery meter issue, if you have any old vagcom log files take a look at the Energy management software version and then read this http://www.audi-resource.com/mmifalsewarn.php if it fits the bill its a quick cheap fix at a dealers - and hope you can revive the battery

there is also another tsb that relates to a very similar problem

Quick Reply: MMI failure-dealer suggests Interface box