A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Pipe

Well last week was not kind to me. I have a leak at the dreaded coolant pipe from the oil cooler. I already have it in the service position and the alternator removed. It's obviously not going to be fun. I've already ordered some ball head hex sockets and some super short XZN sockets. I'm planning to remove the round part of the frame that the bumper bolts on to. Hoping that will make it easier. If it comes down to it I guess I'll pull the engine.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I did this on my '04 4.2 this past December, there should be no need to drop the engine for access. I used a variety of tools to get the cooler off. Ground down some 8mm allen wrenches so I could get leverage and access etc. Just don't be in a hurry and you will find a way. You've likely done some searches on the parts to get and the procedures some have posted on here. If not do so, and it can be done. If I can do it you can too.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you have not seen this, it may be helpful:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-help-2882400/

I also did the valve cover gaskets, and timing belt (pulleys/tensioner/water pump/thermostat) while I was at it.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have been reading everything I can find on the subject. I plan on pulling it the rest of the way apart this weekend as all the tools I've ordered have arrived. Hopefully the figure 8 o-ring and the Gruven parts pipe show up tomorrow or Saturday(USPS shipping). I did the timing service back in November of last year so i'm good there. Valve cover gaskets are on the to do list and I have them so I'll go ahead an install them this weekend. My headlights were looking a little dim compared to my A6 so I decided to replace all the bulbs while I have the front end off. The only ones i'm not replacing are the turn signal bulbs as they are a weird bulb that is almost impossible to find anywhere other than the dealer.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well I trust things will go well for you this weekend. Update with your results
Old 06-10-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Will do. I have everything I need except the replacement pipe from Gruvenparts. Unfortunately their shipping speed isn't great. Placed the order on 6/02, said it shipped on 6/07, actually received by USPS on 6/08 @ 8pm. Supposedly it will arrive Saturday but we live in a remote area and i'm not holding my breathe. Plus my Daughter leaves for basic training on Monday. I was hoping to have the A8 wrapped up so we could take it on the trip to take her but it looks like my deer damaged A6 will have to do.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just an update on progress. Exhaust stud was a piece of cake. I did remove the front section of the frame using stubby triple square bit and that helped with overall access to the oil cooler. Once removed it was obvious that the original pipe had deteriorated. It was hard and basically turned to powder with almost no effort squeezing it. Installed the new Gruvenparts pipe and put it back together. It wasn't the easiest thing i've done but wasn't the hardest either.

Now on to the valve covers. What a pain in the ***! I have them off so I decided to have them refurbished as there was some paint flaking etc. The drivers side is fine. The passenger side was corroded badly under the paint. Almost all the way through in one spot. I've ordered a used cover from a wrecker in MN and it should be here Monday. After that arrives and is media blasted both covers will be painted with Ceracote. There is a 5 day cure time so I won't have it back together to go on my trip on the first.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

These threads are always better with pictures so here are a bunch of pictures I have taken during the project:

Old 06-23-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for posting those pics. I'll be doing mine soon (part received the other day). Along with the intake manifold linkage arms you already have installed on your car.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You'll need some long torx sockets, some ball end allen sockets, and super short triple squares. For the triple squares I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Pipe