A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to change my upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Ready to change my upper control arms

$38 for 6 bolts and 6 nuts? What? I think I'm going to use the old bolts and nuts if they don't break.
By the way, the rear bolts seem to be pretty long, do I have to remove the shocks like D2 to take these 2 CA bolts out?
Let's see the little vibrations when going over the bumps will be gone or not.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-08-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engineers don't like you to reuse the bolts because by torquing them properly you are stretching them a little.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
$38 for 6 bolts and 6 nuts? What? I think I'm going to use the old bolts and nuts if they don't break.
By the way, the rear bolts seem to be pretty long, do I have to remove the shocks like D2 to take these 2 CA bolts out?
Let's see the little vibrations when going over the bumps will be gone or not.

Cheers,

Louis
Not so smart to me on the pinch bolts for starters from what even I saw on a CA 2006 car like yours, and where the dealer already did it once before. Those are two of them and probably the most expensive. Check audiusaparts to be sure the pricing is straight too. You are also going to want some of the fender liner push pins that will self destruct when you try to pull them, or won't be reusable without your labor being worth about $2.00/hour; part of how you get the inner bolts out with enough clearance.

As posted a lot already, you loosen three bolts from under the hood that hold the strut plate area and drop the assembly an inch or so, plus so you can move it around some. You don't remove them, jut back them out a good amount. But you don't need to take it out at all. That's just extra work and risk of damage to air system. Also as posted before, if you are doing the arms I would do the sway bar links if not done already; at least inspect them. Those are yet a few more bolt sets, though the Lemforder OES's come with some nuts already; approx. $65 for a set of two shipped.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-08-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default MP4 thanks so much for the tips

I really need it... Yes, not to remove it, it will be great.
I didn't buy any of those pins.
Hopefully, the hood cables don't snap on me before I design a powered solenoid to open straight at the latch without cables.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-09-2015, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As offered before, I'm just on on other side of the bridge from you (as in, "M.P."...) if you get stuck, aren't quite sure of steps, things to look at, etc.

Hopefully, the hood cables don't snap on me before I design a powered solenoid to open straight at the latch without cables.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-09-2015, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
As offered before, I'm just on on other side of the bridge from you (as in, "M.P."...) if you get stuck, aren't quite sure of steps, things to look at, etc.
I heard that that short bridge is closed this weekend as well as on Memorial Day weekend......
Old 05-09-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I heard that that short bridge is closed this weekend as well as on Memorial Day weekend......
That (long) one is the next one further north. Pre-radar and with no turn arounds and way less population, way back in the day (night) it was handy for checking certain car operating parameters...

Meantime, ours is open.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-09-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Delay until next weekend... Mother's Day and all

Thanks MP4, I'll let you know next week.
I did the D2 before, looked under the car, the bolts and nuts are looking fine. I'm sure it will be a breeze (wishful thinking). All the work I do to the car, I do read your tech gurus posts before I start, so I'm well prepared.

Thanks all and Happy Mother's day to all,

Louis
PS: today cook for all family mothers... a little busy.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Cheers,

Louis
Powered hood latches to avoid the possibility of snapped cables??? You're a funny guy, or should apply for a job with the German board of engineers for needless complication.

Just lubricate the latches and cables and the risk of a snapped cable pretty much vanishes.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default did anyone has a lubrication procedure on these latches?

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Powered hood latches to avoid the possibility of snapped cables??? You're a funny guy, or should apply for a job with the German board of engineers for needless complication.

Just lubricate the latches and cables and the risk of a snapped cable pretty much vanishes.
If it's proven working, then it should be a STICKY post, please.

It's not the lubrication - it's the dinky little cable and the floppy spring loaded splitter cable box.

Have you tested the force needed to release the latch? there are 2 of them and this box with friction itself + spring + over pulling force of a macho mucho man = this little dinky
cable. Have anyone tested the maximum force this little cable can sustain? Jolt force is much stronger than linear force, so don't test this cable with linear force.

Where do they break? I don't think it's the cable itself, it's where the cable ends that are weak.

Now, retrofit the whole system with thicker cables and stronger ends, then I'll buy.

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: Ready to change my upper control arms