A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Remote start questions

Hi all. New to this forum, as I spend most of my time on other Audi forums but this one seems to be the most active for d3's, so here I am.

Any of you have remote start in your vehicles? While I am building my c5 s6, the garage is tied up and my wife is forced to park the a8 outside. I'd love to put a remote start in the car but am having difficulty finding appropriate parts to install a remote start. For what it's worth, I am a professional installer, but the interface companies I use list "interface module required for remote start" but none of the modules they sell do anything bedsides integrate with convenience features.

If any of you have remote start, would you mind listing what product you used to make it work? Thanks

Also attached a picture of the car for reference. It's a 2005 with 38k on it, peanut butter(amaretto?) interior, and factory wood wheel.

Name:  51CDB1D0-553F-42E3-8851-94CA51392A75_zpspmbceauo.jpg
Views: 4982
Size:  297.0 KB
Old 01-13-2016, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why you like to install this? To warm up the car? Maybe should think about aux. heating?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A lot of times you are putting in your valet key into the module to override what audi did at the factory. Also you sometimes lose your keyless entry as it is now rerouted to the remote starter. To me it isn't worth the $$$ or hassle to put one in.

Can it be done....Sure it can. But if you are a professional installer and can't figure it out then maybe you should leave it alone. I'd hate for you to start cutting wires and the f-something up all for a little convenience.

What kind of products/brands do you install?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

It will be hard to do this. Key recognition and immo... I think it's not worth...
Old 01-13-2016, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drago_o
Why you like to install this? To warm up the car? Maybe should think about aux. heating?
Yes, to warm up the car in the morning.

Originally Posted by cstarky15
A lot of times you are putting in your valet key into the module to override what audi did at the factory. Also you sometimes lose your keyless entry as it is now rerouted to the remote starter. To me it isn't worth the $$$ or hassle to put one in.

Can it be done....Sure it can. But if you are a professional installer and can't figure it out then maybe you should leave it alone. I'd hate for you to start cutting wires and the f-something up all for a little convenience.

What kind of products/brands do you install?
Keyless entry on audis is typically disabled on audis when the car is running, but with an aftermarket remote, this is easily over come. Newer remote starts have very small one button remotes than can be used to both start and unlock the car. Money isn't really a huge issue for this as parts are cheap, it is typically the labor that is expensive. Being that I'm doing the work myself, the cost is insignificant.

This is the system I would be installing.

Clifford - 4115X

It will be hard to do this. Key recognition and immo... I think it's not worth...
The immobilizer bypass is actually the easy part.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will tell you best option will be aux. heating with engine heater. You heat the car, windows and engine. You can set a time to automatic run, how long should it work or just use remote controll to set it on when you sit in kichen eating your breakfast.

And big plus the engine get his temperature faster even you dont use aux. heating. Heat engine automaticly when you start. But its my opinion When you put remote start you make easyer to still your car.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Keyless entry works fine when car is running. I use it all the time. Press the lock button on the door handle, go in the store, come back out an put my hand near the door handle and it unlocks. The only difference is that the alarm doesn't beep when you lock it while running.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will tell you best option will be aux. heating with engine heater. You heat the car, windows and engine. You can set a time to automatic run, how long should it work or just use remote controll to set it on when you sit in kichen eating your breakfast.

And big plus the engine get his temperature faster even you dont use aux. heating. Heat engine automaticly when you start. But its my opinion When you put remote start you make easyer to still your car.
I'll have to look in to that and see how feasible it is to retrofit. Sounds cool, albeit expensive.

Also, remote starts do no make cars easier to steal. They shut down if the brake pedal is pushed before the key is turned, and the doors remain locked during remote start process.

Originally Posted by the_duke
Keyless entry works fine when car is running. I use it all the time. Press the lock button on the door handle, go in the store, come back out an put my hand near the door handle and it unlocks. The only difference is that the alarm doesn't beep when you lock it while running.
You have keyless start though right?

Being that I have a 2005, I still have a standard switchblade key.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes you need to have keyless start Cant close car with key inside

About aux heating? Dont knwo US prices but here you can buy a used Webasto for 250-300$. Yeah new parts in dealership are expensive
Old 01-13-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Found something when researching the keyless go retrofit. Looks simple

http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDow...irmwareid=9844

Quick Reply: Remote start questions