A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 UCA Bushings on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S8 UCA Bushings on Ebay

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Audi-S4-2006-2007-2008-2009-Lemfoerder-Control-Arm-Link-Bushing-4E0407515D-/111123242360

Are these the same bushings as found at the dealer?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default FWIW I would say no

I researched this stuff to the nth degree per my control arm post in last month. Yes, Lemforder is the original equipment supplier (OES) for the D3 upper control arms and also has A8 (not S8 specific) bushings available as well.

The master Lemforder catalog shows no separate listing for the S8 bushing or am, but does have a note saying the arms are different (meaning the bushing). Thus, I think anyone selling the "S8" bushing from Lemforder is selling the A8 bushing in the end, since the OES itself does not have a good listing for it. One of my sub posts to the control arm post has a link to the Lemforder catalog, as well as scanned excerpts from it. Here: A8 and S8 Upper Control Arm Bushings--Part #'s/Differences - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

Adding to the confusion, per my control arm post apparently even the ones from Audi are indistinguishable. When I got my S8 dealer sourced arms, the bushings had the "A8" part number. They called Audi national parts, who reported they have posted in their internal system the part is actually different but that they cheaped out on the rubber mold and so use the same one (dumb, dumb, dumb!). The rubber compound itself is supposedly different and presumably somewhat harder. Since then, the parts guy has actually ordered the S8 number and reports those come back with the A8 number embedded in the rubber. Especially given this--NO way to tell them apart whatsoever--I would only trust dealer sourcing, all the more since Lemforder has no part number listing for the S8 application. Prior sub post specific to the bushing numbering issue is here: A8 and S8 Upper Control Arm Bushings--Part #'s/Differences - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-26-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your detailed reply. I read through your thread a couple of times, but the part number listed on the eBay ad matched the S8 part number, so I figured I'd ask. At the end of the day, it seems that there is no way to really tell, even if you get the dealer part, outside of testing the rubber durometer.

I'm guessing I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference anyway. Especially since any new part would be such a vast improvement.

That being said, do you think the eBay part is the same quality of the dealers? I'm looking for longevity.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default No way to know

What I have concluded is there is no reliable source for the S8 bushings or arms except the dealer. I also know the Lemforder parts are the OES from having them in my hands for personal inspection. I also know by part number the bushings and arms interchange with much higher volume C6 A6 which is also sold in China. While I assume Audi controls its Chinese quality, I can also guess there are a lot of dubious quality non true OE/OES, and perhaps even some counterfeit ones. More generally, there are lots of posts on lots of Audi boards about disappointment with even more premature wear, typically when the part is known as not dealer/OES.

On Lemforder specifically, I guess if I were buying bushings other than from a dealer to take the last $ out, I would get the A8 ones using the Lemforder part number as a guide, but from a known vendor who regularly sells Lemforder. But, for the minor $ differences when dealing with bushings only, the labor cost (even DIY) for any sub par bushing is too high for me. I thought about it, since I will later change the bushings out on the arms I pulled as a future replacement swap in set. And bigger picture, the OES bushings are sub par to start with in terms of their service life, so this is at best about lesser evils. Finally, even on the S8 bushings I realize from Wasserwork's post I am also responding into last night and today, there is no magic pill in here the S8 route either. He is dealing with his worn signs and tire wear at about 70K on a 2009, and that 70K S8 life is basically my last change interval on my A8 using the dealer installed (warranty) current A8 bushing part number. I do really like the way my car now feels again and like a tighter drive feel, so would do S8 bushings again. Whether I am just confusing it with the new part feel and realignment I can't be sure, but my net is I like the result of the work without question, and I wasn't sold before I started I was not still jumping the gun a bit. Realistically, I figure a little more life is a maybe/minor plus w/ the S8 bushing/arm but not something I am banking on. The contrary; I am holding my old arms in case I am in there again at circa 160-170K, for what will then be the third time cumulatively.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-26-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
What I have concluded is there is no reliable source for the S8 bushings or arms except the dealer. I also know the Lemforder parts are the OES from having them in my hands for personal inspection. I also know by part number the bushings and arms interchange with much higher volume C6 A6 which is also sold in China. While I assume Audi controls its Chinese quality, I can also guess there are a lot of dubious quality non true OE/OES, and perhaps even some counterfeit ones. More generally, there are lots of posts on lots of Audi boards about disappointment with even more premature wear, typically when the part is known as not dealer/OES.

On Lemforder specifically, I guess if I were buying bushings other than from a dealer to take the last $ out, I would get the A8 ones using the Lemforder part number as a guide, but from a known vendor who regularly sells Lemforder. But, for the minor $ differences when dealing with bushings only, the labor cost (even DIY) for any sub par bushing is too high for me. I thought about it, since I will later change the bushings out on the arms I pulled as a future replacement swap in set. And bigger picture, the OES bushings are sub par to start with in terms of their service life, so this is at best about lesser evils. Finally, even on the S8 bushings I realize from Wasserwork's post I am also responding into last night and today, there is no magic pill in here the S8 route either. He is dealing with his worn signs and tire wear at about 70K on a 2009, and that 70K S8 life is basically my last change interval on my A8 using the dealer installed (warranty) current A8 bushing part number. I do really like the way my car now feels again and like a tighter drive feel, so would do S8 bushings again. Whether I am just confusing it with the new part feel and realignment I can't be sure, but my net is I like the result of the work without question, and I wasn't sold before I started I was not still jumping the gun a bit. Realistically, I figure a little more life is a maybe/minor plus w/ the S8 bushing/arm but not something I am banking on. The contrary; I am holding my old arms in case I am in there again at circa 160-170K, for what will then be the third time cumulatively.

Im with you on this one. I've decided to just buy the aftermarket control arms from rock auto, autoparts warehouse etc for cheap ($25 each at times) and just replace them every two years since they are so easy to replace. I even tried the power flex ones that comes with lifetime warranty but those didn't last either. PowerflexUSA - A8 (02 - 09)
Old 12-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamm, how do you like your rock auto ones? My bushings are done in front and the tires are showing the wear. Any reason for replacing every 2 years (the rock auto ones), and were they the DEEZA or MOOG brand arms that you bought?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nismofreak1208
Jamm, how do you like your rock auto ones? My bushings are done in front and the tires are showing the wear. Any reason for replacing every 2 years (the rock auto ones), and were they the DEEZA or MOOG brand arms that you bought?
in 2012 I replaced mine with a set from auto parts warehouse ($77) for the set of four and they all had Audi part numbers believe it or not. They lasted about a year and half then I notice they started cracking in different places. There could be many reasons for early failure eg driving habits, roads, installation etc.

I then went with powerflex bushings because the end ball joints looked good. I had to have a machine shop press them in but after about a year I notice that they cracking, squeaking as well and being worn unevenly in the arm.

I am now on a set which I gather from two different vendors online I think I was under $100 for all four and they are holding up better so far. I just did the suspension conversion and didn't see a reason to change them.

I am DIY guy, I don't think the brand name ones would make any difference because these are the same bushings on the A4's so that tell you a lot.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is an interesting dilemma for A8 owners. I too had the nerve to try the PowerFlex bushings and went through several sets, even the racing bushings that did not hold up. I am now back on stock bushings that seems to last 20-30K. If it is cheaper to just put on a new set of control arms with bushings every 20K miles it may be a better option rather than having to spend all the time pushing new bushings in. The stock Audi bushings may last up to 40K miles with perfect driving and no potholes (rarely seen anymore), and the aftermarket from what I have read last about 20K miles. It takes about 1.5hr per side for a DIY to replace these.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who were the vendors you had gone through to get the control arms for under $100? Closest to that price is rockauto but they are $25 and some change each.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nismofreak1208
Who were the vendors you had gone through to get the control arms for under $100? Closest to that price is rockauto but they are $25 and some change each.
Just Google a8 control arms and also on eBay you will find complete arms not just bushings for under $30

Quick Reply: S8 UCA Bushings on Ebay