A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I understand what you are saying but my situation didn't involve 'virgin' keys and was a bit of a screw up.
ok if existing keys just blades changed and keys matched via computer

Initially what was meant to happen and what I was quoted for were the 3 new barrels (door, trunk, glovebox) and 2 new keys to fit the new locks, this was done for security reasons as although the stolen key could be wiped from the car and would not start it, if the locks weren't changed for a new 'cut' they could still come back and manually get in the car and do as they please whether that be vandalize it or steel parts to sell.
yes I understand that.

As far as I was aware these 2 new keys would be programmed to my cars ID from the factory and work perfectly. However after them installing the new locks and throwing my old ones I was then hit with "The Steering Column and Kessy need replacing" and "The new keys have been programmed with a new ID at the factory and will not code to your kessey or column because of the new ID not matching the one the car holds". I told them no way was that happening as it more than tripled the quote which no way was I paying for and the key insurance wouldn't cover.

So I was stuck with 2 new keys that would manually open the car and nothing else and one old key that could start the car, the remote function worked but could not manually unlock/lock the car. This is where we swapped one of the new cut flip blades to the old remote for one fully working key. Now the Auto Electrician comes into it, he tries coding the other new key with the remaining new blade normally first and came back with the same thing as Audi, it wouldn't code because the Key and Car ID didn't match. He then said he will see if he can do it another way and he'll get back to me later. He gets back to me later and says he now has that new key starting the car and the column locks/unlocks fine, he said that he removed the Kessy from the car, manually did whatever he did with it and the new key (which has not been opened and nothing replaced) so that the new key is now recognized by and starts the car fine. So whatever he did wrote to the key a second time to replace the new unrecognized ID with the old ID the car still held.
That is BS from your audi dealer.
they get keys to suit your vin number.
They still have to be cut and coded to your car.
I suggest you get in contact with audi us or wherever and complain.
I have seen it and had it done to me time and time again .
They don't know how to do it correctly and you pay for there incompetence.
This should have been straight forward.
I will pm you.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by storka
they get keys to suit your vin number.
They still have to be cut and coded to your car.
I suggest you get in contact with audi us or wherever and complain.
I have seen it and had it done to me time and time again .
They don't know how to do it correctly and you pay for there incompetence.
This should have been straight forward.
I will pm you.
Yea I know they are cut to the vin number, it's the vin number that gives them the information including that vehicles individual key ID that's programmed onto the key otherwise that key ain't working. Trouble is when they ordered the new locks and keys the factory gave them a new ID which was then updated on Audi's records of my car so now when they put my vin in to order a new key it comes programmed with the new ID as they replaced the old ID with the new one on my cars records when the parts were ordered.

I went mental, I made them email Germany in front of me to double check my cars records and see if they kept any backups and could roll it back to the old ID. Waited 20 - 30 minutes and a reply came through saying that there was no way of getting the old ID as it was completely erased when the records were updated with the new one.

So now any new key ordered from Audi will not work.

But like I said the Auto Electrician managed to get the old ID either from the Kessy or the old key and transfer it to the new key so everything works apart from the remote which should just need the correct frequency programming.

Thanks for the PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Your vin I'd does not change
All electronics still the same
The keys Are not individual to the vin I think as to a range of vins
I think they are just incompetent and you are paying for it
Old 02-08-2016, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Some 2004 A8's had defective steering columns. Many were replaced under warranty. Your car may be one of them.