A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought the Grey one

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I bought the Grey one

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...up-a8-2885005/

The black car was sold unfortunately.

However in relation to the Grey car:

Wheel base measures out to factory specs and matches side to side. Front Track and Rear track measure out to specs. Car is balanced and measuring from center axle to wheel well is equal side to side and is close front to back.

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
Only weird thing I saw was that none of the other suspension modes except dynamic were selectable in the MMI. Make sure that is working correctly when you check the car out. Nice color combo!
Suspension component of some kind was replaced due to my call about the MMI screen that was pointed out above. All modes are selectable and function properly. Only problems I have found is the passenger side window button doesn't do anything. The window goes up and down fine from the driver side button, and the power trunk is way weird.

The main problem I'm having at the moment is I can't get the radio to accept my phone as a audio source. It is connected via bluetooth to the car and the phone functions work flawlessly but I can't get it to acknowledge it as a source for music.

I know you guys had concerns about the car and I feel like the main ones have been alleviated.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default As long as you're happy with the car... It's the most important thing

I'm sure you can fix all those things over some weekends. I haven't heard <a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/picked-up-a8l-yesterday-omg-2844754/">"WOW"</a> on how you love the car. You don't have to justify with anyone for buying the car, the car is beautiful on pictures, I'm sure it looks great outside too. If anyone who never had an A8 before, he/she will love the car regardless of how many problems it has until the money runs out or tired of fixing it. Anyhow, congrats and enjoy the car, this forum will help you fixing whatever is not working. I don't much about the car because I haven't had to fix many things, but many gurus here will definitely help.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-03-2015, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Congratulations.

On a few points you mention,

1. If window works via drivers door switches but not the local door switch, all in all a minor/easy one. It nets to it must be either locked out at the drivers door ("kiddie") switch or the local door switch is shot.

2. ...You'll never get the music to connect from your phone... Bluetooth connections for cellular phone are different than bluetooth connections for music (which are A2DP if you want to search it). On newer Audis its pretty seamless, but basically the D3 era was just bluetooth for phone calls once it arrived in mid 2005. To do bluetooth music, either you need some aftermarket solution or a combo of AMI (the iPod/Phone/MP3 factory set up) and a hard to find bluetooth dongle for it.

3. Trunk: tons of posts on it. There are a variety of symptoms so you would have to get more specific about what is doing. Just drive it a while and learn its oddities, and then search for topics like on the trunk that fit your situation.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-04-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 08 A8L iPhone 4 to AMI

Picked up a '08 A8L Sport pkg in Salt Lake City on Tuesday and arrived home in upstate NY on Thursday morning. 2000 miles of peace and quiet except when I put my foot into it. One problem though: when I connected a fully prepared iPhone 4 to the AMI for music the MMI screen showed "no device connected." CD player worked fine as did all other functions through the screen. Am I missing something procedurally or in hardware?
Thanks for any help. This forum was very beneficial as I contemplated vehicle purchase and I hope to be a constructive contributor as an owner.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Few quick pointers:
1. A2DP streaming Bluetooth is not supported. You will need AMI and a Bluetooth dongle for that.
2. Trunk lid motor clutch wears out leading to intermittent trunk lid operation, firstly when trying to open, but eventually closing as well. You can mess about and try and fix it (search for various methods) or stump up for the later higher torque version. It's a poorly designed failure prone system either way though.
3. For the window check the passenger lockout button isn't pressed on the driver's door window control panel.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 07-04-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am very excited to have the car. It was a long drive back yesterday. The wow factor for me with this car is more subtle because it impresses me by not being noticed. I drove 4.5hrs on the highway in the rain and it was just smooth and quiet. Except the radio which was loud.... a lot. No excitement no danger just peace and quiet like sitting in my living room on my sofa on a rainy day. I've never driven a car like this before and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Dusty280z; 07-04-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try not to have unlock code on the iPhone 4...

Originally Posted by Stevenxs1
Picked up a '08 A8L Sport pkg in Salt Lake City on Tuesday and arrived home in upstate NY on Thursday morning. 2000 miles of peace and quiet except when I put my foot into it. One problem though: when I connected a fully prepared iPhone 4 to the AMI for music the MMI screen showed "no device connected." CD player worked fine as did all other functions through the screen. Am I missing something procedurally or in hardware?
Thanks for any help. This forum was very beneficial as I contemplated vehicle purchase and I hope to be a constructive contributor as an owner.
Turn locked code off. If the AMI couldn't access/read the iPhone it will say so.

Cheers and congrats,

Louis
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Monitor your tires wear often...

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
I am very excited to have the car. It was a long drive back yesterday. The wow factor for me with this car is more subtle because it impresses me by not being noticed. I drove 4.5hrs on the highway in the rain and it was just smooth and quiet. Except the radio which was loud.... a lot. No excitement no danger just peace and quiet like sitting in my living room on my sofa on a rainy day. I've never driven a car like this before and I couldn't be happier.
Since you drove for 4.5hrs, I'm sure you could feel the stability and the straight steering of the car. I would monitor the tires wear to make sure nothing is OFF with the suspension when they fixed the car (if any).
It's a fully loaded car if all the options work.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 07-04-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stevenxs1
We sometimes need to unplug, and then re-plug an iPhone into the AMI in order to get it to register, particularly the small (white Apple) converter that bridges the AMI device to the newer iPhones. Key is to detach the converter from the AMI moreso than detaching the converter from the phone. Otherwise, the "no device connected" message can appear.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
Great to hear you got an A8. You will be amazed years later how much you enjoy driving her.

Quick Reply: So I bought the Grey one