A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stop tech rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stop tech rotors and pads

I am about to replace the pads on my 2002 A6 4.2 (I know, this is the D3 forum but you guys are the most responsive)
Anyway, Auto-anything has a sale on the complete package of pads and rotors for $391.49. The 4.2 has the performance rotors and pads.
What do you know about the quality of this product?

StopTech Slotted Brake Rotors - SHIPS FREE
Old 05-02-2016, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Mostly OT, but a few overlapping D3 points bolded: Pass. (and yes, when I look occasionally C5 board seems past its prime and a lot of the old knowledge from "back in the day" now lost.) Several reasons:

Dealer rotors are only like $90 (each) I think if you look at audiusaparts.com--discounted some, but you pay shipping. Or, maybe autohauosaz or some others w/ free shipping for yet less expensive known quality/quasi OE ones like Ate or Brembo. RMEuropean another possible w/ similar brands. In general (and of use to D3 board), Audi cut prices of common wear and tune up parts some years ago and basically forced dealers to take lower margins. Thus often a dealer is quite competitive these days on rotors, OE filters, OE spec plugs, etc., at least if you use one of the discounted on line ones.

Having owned one, front brakes on an C5 A6 4.2 are not easy to get right fitment. The 2.7T was same rotor size in front but different offset. Meantime A6 4.2 and I think D2 A8 4.2 were the same. Then they changed caliper (and pads) on 2.7T later on to make it more confusing--I think part of why early 2.7T had pretty goofy looking wheels due to odd offsets to fit the big calipers. Thus, chances of getting it right aftermarket if you don't buy it at a store live and compare it are so so. If you go w/ dealer, do it by VIN and you know it's right. Be careful for any order and I would call it in and be very specific. In particular to be totally clear it is correct, you need rotor offset. The 2.7T's typically had the lower offset numerically--teens (16.7??), while at least my C5 2000 4.2 had the larger one (mid 20's? circa 24?). In particular, if it shows cross fitment to 2.7T on any but very early ones, be very suspicious of a listing unless you know yours is the lower offset one.

Pad side, go w dealer OE w/ dust, or EBC reds for less, or Mintex (red box) that you can also get. I assume you have the HP2's--the ones that use 4 pads per side. BTDT. Nice caliper in its day, but heavy cast iron stuff. If you want a little more performance probably the EBC reds, if not stock. Mintex is the lowest dust, OE the highest, from my C5 4.2 experience. Mintex and EBC reds are both sensored pads, like dealer OE.

Any of these options should cost less than what you found. Not arguing against StopTech, aka PowerSlot BTW, and I think maybe some other names.

If you want to spend a little more $, treat car to some new brake lines. If never done, at close to 15 years they are well past prime and you may get some better feel. Again, Ate probably gets you OES and you can find on at least the two other sites I mentioned. Obviously a fluid flush too. If you have ESP and live in a winter cold area, consider switching to the newer spec fluids in Audi or Ate type brands. Again, this last point about fluid spec fits the D3 era too. On W12 I just switched it over when I did all new brakes front and rear--and new front lines on top of already recently replaced rears.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-02-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Also consider getting rotors from a local NAPA store. They may have to order, but they ship via their own private fleet from all DC's (Distribution Centers) to your local store for no charge.

They offer German sourced rotors. Also Chinese junk but we all know better what to buy when it comes to brakes. I buy my pads from dealer only but I'm weird that way,

Last edited by Mister Bally; 05-05-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure about their rotors or pads but I like aftermarket pads because of the dusting with OE pads. 10 years with my D2 and over 4 years with a D3, have all been with aftermarket pads. I don't have to wash my wheels every three days because they are black.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love to see us helping out everyone with Audis and not just D3 A8s in here! I hate break dust like TSHong but usually stay stock on the calipers/pads for my cars. I do have the stainless line kit sitting at home for my S2000 just waiting for me to get back there to install.

My S8 on the other hand has CCBs and I am spoiled...no dust at all!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I use EBC reds on my A8. I really like how they feel, smooth everyday stopping but a lot of stopping power if you need it; also, the dust is way down vs OEM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
I use EBC reds on my A8. I really like how they feel, smooth everyday stopping but a lot of stopping power if you need it; also, the dust is way down vs OEM.
Same here!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in a similar boat, TFT. I've settled on EBC reds for the pads, but I'm still mulling over my choices for rotors.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
I'm in a similar boat, TFT. I've settled on EBC reds for the pads, but I'm still mulling over my choices for rotors.
If I were you, I would just stick with OEM rotors with the EBC pads. Very good setup. I purchased mine from ECStuning.com
Old 05-06-2016, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TFT
I am about to replace the pads on my 2002 A6 4.2 (I know, this is the D3 forum but you guys are the most responsive)
Anyway, Auto-anything has a sale on the complete package of pads and rotors for $391.49. The 4.2 has the performance rotors and pads.
What do you know about the quality of this product?

StopTech Slotted Brake Rotors - SHIPS FREE
I used Cryo treated Stop Tech rotors on our Q5, I like them, they didn't have pads so we used Hawk Pads, I was not impressed with the Hawk Pads. No bit when cold. But rotors have been great. My wife drive the Q5 daily and she said once the pads warm up everyone works very well and she likes them over the OE Audi parts that were on the Q5 when we bought it.

I normally used PowerStop crossed drilled/slotted Rotors and Pads.

Quick Reply: stop tech rotors and pads