A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time for my heat problem thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like when you say reset the MMI - push TEL, center dial, and top right?
tried that already. i don't know if there is a hardercore reset option?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Great way to brick MMI.

D3's are not an iPhone. Internet download crap is, well crap. Update disks cost literally like $20 at dealer. Not kidding. They always work, whereas a recurring screw up theme on board is not uncommonly some download "free" crap. If you brick it, you will pay about two grand at dealer to fix (no easy software reset-- only by very expensive parts replace), plus the embarrassment factor of admitting what you did. Not worth it. Not "free" in long run.

Having said that, MMI update should not affect cooling/heating. If you bled it, move on to std. diagnostics with thermostat, run diagnostics w/ VCDS on HVAC flaps, and then move to inspect heater valve block.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
it does seem like the Control box gives out wrong signals to vent controller... Did anyone modify the MMI settings (trying to be savvy?) using VCDS by any chance?

cheers,

Louis
No mods at all
I can say that auto does produce heat around vehicle
But I cannot set blower higher than 3
Mystery
As soon as I try to increase blower it exits auto setting
It's a heating gremlin for sure
Old 02-21-2015, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default auto setting will control the fan speed automatically...

As soon as you adjust the dial for speed, the auto is off... that's a working controller. Select the speed, then you need to select the vents - up - middle or floor or all three.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's it... if it doesn't change then...

Originally Posted by laychooba
like when you say reset the MMI - push TEL, center dial, and top right?
tried that already. i don't know if there is a hardercore reset option?
Let's go over the facts again...
1. Have heat - hot at idle? Manual vents selected with defrost - center - floor? Does air comes out HOT with manual speed select at 10, temp setting at HI?
2. Select defrost at idle - high blower on top only hot and A/C? Does air come out full speed?
3. If you have heat at these settings - then to me heater is working -
4. Do you have 4zone (rear AC separate?)
Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
D3's are not an iPhone. Internet download crap is, well crap. Update disks cost literally like $20 at dealer. Not kidding. They always work, whereas a recurring screw up theme on board is not uncommonly some download "free" crap. If you brick it, you will pay about two grand at dealer to fix (no easy software reset-- only by very expensive parts replace), plus the embarrassment factor of admitting what you did. Not worth it. Not "free" in long run.

Having said that, MMI update should not affect cooling/heating. If you bled it, move on to std. diagnostics with thermostat, run diagnostics w/ VCDS on HVAC flaps, and then move to inspect heater valve block.
i fully regretted the bootleg update halfway through my install as soon as it had problems
to read. at that point it was too late. i crossed my fingers and made it out alive and with a functioning
MMI.

is there somewhere in the VCDS that i should be looking? i would go into 08 - AUTOHVAC and started doing output tests. how can i test
each flap individually?
Old 02-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Let's go over the facts again...
1. Have heat - hot at idle? Manual vents selected with defrost - center - floor? Does air comes out HOT with manual speed select at 10, temp setting at HI?
2. Select defrost at idle - high blower on top only hot and A/C? Does air come out full speed?
3. If you have heat at these settings - then to me heater is working -
4. Do you have 4zone (rear AC separate?)
1 - yes i have heat at idle, but only low speeds (fan speed 1-4). if i give it the beans, it'll be hot for like 20 seconds and then
gradually get less and less hot until cold. it's like the heater core isn't replenishing with hot coolant enough so when you give it
full power, the air will be hot until the heater core cools off. then if i turn the fan off, wait for a few minutes, it'll be hot again
and the cycle start over.

2.yes the defrost seems to work properly. gives it full fan and directs the air to the windsheild, but always the same with the hot
to cold.

3. the only time i was able to get like hot hot heat was while playing with the vagcom and doing output tests on the HVAC menu.
when V68 and V71 would open, i would get hot air just out of one vent cycling through out the test, but this is at idle though.

4. yes i have the 4 zone heating system. controls in the back seat basically do nothing right now. no heat coming out
of there either.

Last edited by laychooba; 02-23-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Should be close enough to get you going

Video quickly goes into various Selective Output Test examples. You may want the Sequential Output Tests choice to cycle through things.

Output Test choice is the key thing to know. Same concept is used in many modules. See for backgrounder and general instructions: Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Output Tests In particular note you may have to close a module or even reset ignition key and restart VCDS to get some things to run a second time.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-22-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah for some reason on my vagcom, i can't do individual selective output
tests. the option is greyed out and the drop down bar doesn't work. i have to cycle
through them in the sequential tests.

my vagcom cable is legit as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

After reading about the AC/Heat system diagram -
1. Manually select leftside - rightside to see if the vents are selected correctly (dual ac/heat system)
2. Click "setup" and turn econ to "ON" (NO AC).
3. Turn on the rear Temp to HI and speed to Max to see if Air comes out.
4. Check the Outside temperature sensor in the Radiator area.
<a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/uy1cbuwta9ezmbf/a8_heat_outside_components.pdf?dl=0">heat outside components</a>

Louis

Quick Reply: time for my heat problem thread...