A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting My Windows Soon.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
The tint is on the laminate plastic in the middle of the 2 panes of glass. I have replaced one a while back.
Hello chokboywonda,

I know that the laminate has a very slight tint to it here in the USA, and I believe it is just the material itself giving that slight color, but nowhere as dark as what member 2004A8L is showing, and he is in South Dakota with a USA spec A8L I believe, and if he in fact has a Euro spec glass setup then I would think it would be not "DOT" approved or have the "DOT" number on it.

Please post a picture of your window label, as the same for member 2004A8L, it would be interesting to see if in fact there is a tint spec for side and rear glass available for the US, Also what did your 1 piece cost you and which piece was it, I paid $300 ish for the dual pane from the dealer for the rear door glass on my A8L, it listed for over $500.00 and no tint....

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 02-03-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2004A8L
Mine have some markings on them
Hello 2004A8L

Your comment is what leads me to believe that you have tint film on your glass, if you in fact had the tint in between the two panes of glass as chokboywonda states, then you could not mark it up or scratch it, UNLESS you mean the "markings" are between the two panes of glass, as in delaminating.

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 02-03-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here is the pic

Old 02-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2004A8L
here is the pic
Thank you !

Yeah you definitely have a film on the glass as can be seen by the lifting around the label, if you ever remove the film for replacement because of markings please be sure to take pictures of what the actual OEM tinted glass looks like, hey at least you can tell the LEO's " hey look it's factory, see it says tinted" LOL, until they find the lip on the inside....

Here's mine, driver's side rear with the crack from the tree trimming crew....

Okay, who will tell us what all these numbers mean ??

Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 02-03-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Thank you !

Yeah you definitely have a film on the glass as can be seen by the lifting around the label, if you ever remove the film for replacement because of markings please be sure to take pictures of what the actual OEM tinted glass looks like, hey at least you can tell the LEO's " hey look it's factory, see it says tinted" LOL, until they find the lip on the inside....

won't be a problem lol..... they can look but touching isn't allowed
Old 02-04-2016, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not sure of the US and he may have extra tint on top of the glass but the glass of my front driver side had a coloured tint inbetween the 2 panes. i ordered one and when it was delivered it got damaged and the whole of one corner was broken revealing the laminate tint. I had to order a 2nd one to send to my aftermarket tint guy to do before I installed it. I did not buy it from the dealer as they were asking around £400 just for the glass so I bought it 2nd hand from a breaker for around £90. I'll try and take a pic of my numbers on my glass later
Old 02-04-2016, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Thank you !

Here's mine, driver's side rear with the crack from the tree trimming crew....

Okay, who will tell us what all these numbers mean ??

Perhaps a phone call or email to the AUDI customer experience center might help decipher the coding on the glass.
(800)822-2834; AudiCustomerExperienceCenter@Audi.com
If not, maybe they can point you in the right direction.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, finally got my windows tinted last month for the first time in 190,000 miles. Looks very sharp and surprisingly, the installer did not have a problem with the rear window trim. He did remove all of the panels to make sure the tint was placed properly, and I love the look. All and all, cost was $450.00.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Good price for the work involved. In looking into it (much lighter flavor) on my recently bought 2015 S8, I checked out degree of difficulty. Easier on a D4. Turns out the number one hardest car in the western world remains...the D3 by many professional tinter accounts.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it was a very good price and it only took 4.5 hours. It actually isn't as dark as it seems in the picture. In direct sunlight it's slightly lighter but without the sun it's like the picture. It's still light enough to where I have no problem with the police (you can clearly see who's inside) and the visibility inside is almost like it was before it was tinted. I know the D4 will look even sharper with nice tints!

Quick Reply: Tinting My Windows Soon.....