A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vag com newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vag com newbie questions

So as not to offend some of the senior members as a newbie i am still getting to grips with all the systems and know hows and have been reading as much as i can and i have purchased vag com to help with diagnostics and small mods.
I know lights and ride height will be some of the first things i tackle but can anyone tell me what other things would be of benefit through the vag com system? tips or tricks that benefit ownership apart from fault diagnoses.
thanks in advance
bob
Old 12-03-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Lots of fun things to do. Turning off the seatbelt warning, for example. You can find almost everything here. It's not listed as nicely as it could be, but there's a bunch of stuff in there. Look in the coding sections to see what's available. Feel free to ask about anything specific(or do a search, it's easy to find something specific and odds are someone else has asked and been answered.)
Old 12-03-2016, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Lots of fun things to do. Turning off the seatbelt warning, for example. You can find almost everything here. It's not listed as nicely as it could be, but there's a bunch of stuff in there. Look in the coding sections to see what's available. Feel free to ask about anything specific(or do a search, it's easy to find something specific and odds are someone else has asked and been answered.)
many thanks i will read through it all
cheers bob
Old 12-03-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing you want to do is activate those halogen lights with the xenons for highbeams (if you have those type of headlights) and make it so the fogs stay on with high-beams. This is done by changing a setting under instruments-17 I believe to ROW. You will notice a major difference at night! Kill the seatbelt chime, maybe lower the car (but I'm afraid to screw up air suspension so I opted to leave that alone), needle sweep, and also have it available to reset service lights and/or diagnose any faults. I don't have all the proper coding procedures, but they can all be located via this site or on Ross-Tech's. Just remember if you change coding to write down the previous coding in the event you need to change back.
This site along with your VAGCOM will be your #1 resource as an A8 owner. I've been on many other vehicle-specific sites and this one is by far the best.
I apologize for a previous post, I think we got off on the wrong foot. My mistake. Good luck with your W12.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Among them: gear indicator (which one you are in), one touch windows up down (which I forget often if it is in MMI already or not), & panel instrument backlighting always on. BTW, unless you leave the light switch only on A (which conflicts when you want to use fogs), I found the combo of the delay exit comfort lighting setting and suppressing warning tones (seatbelt, door open, lights on, etc.) can lead to lights left on and battery worn down. Ask me how I know... That is, either the warning tone OR the lights showing in inst. panel are cues when you exit to turn lights off, but if you set it up such that there is nothing obvious, results tend to follow, at least for me.

You can also enable Hidden Menu, first via VCDS, but then using it has (w/out VCDS after first enabled) its own set of learning. I would give it some learning before going in there.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm definitely a VAG COM newbie too (and also in the UK).

My favourite mod so far has been the chirp on lock.

MP4 - what do you mean by the gear indicator? Every '8 I've seen so far shows the gear in the driver info display between the gauges. Is there something else I can mod?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony
MP4 - what do you mean by the gear indicator? Every '8 I've seen so far shows the gear in the driver info display between the gauges. Is there something else I can mod?
Gear indicator, as in the display tells you specifically which gear. You know, 1, 2, 3, etc.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike141
First thing you want to do is activate those halogen lights with the xenons for highbeams (if you have those type of headlights) and make it so the fogs stay on with high-beams. This is done by changing a setting under instruments-17 I believe to ROW. You will notice a major difference at night! Kill the seatbelt chime, maybe lower the car (but I'm afraid to screw up air suspension so I opted to leave that alone), needle sweep, and also have it available to reset service lights and/or diagnose any faults. I don't have all the proper coding procedures, but they can all be located via this site or on Ross-Tech's. Just remember if you change coding to write down the previous coding in the event you need to change back.
This site along with your VAGCOM will be your #1 resource as an A8 owner. I've been on many other vehicle-specific sites and this one is by far the best.
I apologize for a previous post, I think we got off on the wrong foot. My mistake. Good luck with your W12.
thanks mike
i will work through them suggestions.
Many thanks
bob
Old 12-06-2016, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

FWIW, I think needle sweep is only about 2007 forward. Could not implement it on my 2006 W12. There is also digital speed display that also seems to only work on the later ones from prior posts and poking at it. Have both as factory original set up in my current Audis, and in D4 HUD display for speed.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I myself could not enable needle sweep on my 09 W12. If someone knows the trick, please post.