A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I hate NJ's numbnuts rules...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would have no problem paying extra for someone to pump my gas for me if they actually cared about their job. Problem is everyone I've ever had do it made me worry that they would spill gas all over my car etc. because I got the feeling they could care less about their job. I guess I know why I've been reasonably successful in life. I have always cared about my job and tried to do the best I can. Even when I was young and delivered pizza. The biggest problem I see in society today is entitlement. Seems like people think just because they showed up for work you owe them a paycheck. But that's not the way it works. You not only have to show up you have to earn it!

Ok rant off. Sorry.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
WHAT in the name of???

That's hilarious that you can't pump your own gas, well you fellow Americans are so special anyway!
To be fair its only 2/50 of the states were you need a 'professional' to do something the other 300 million can do just fine.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Also keep in mind that these two states combined have about 2/3 the land area of Finland but about 2.5 times the population.

I hate forced pumping of gas into my car. It's been awhile for New Jersey and I passed through Oregon last year and did not buy gas there. With Rental cars, yes, I've bought gas there. Don't care though.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree that there is no point in preventing people from pumping their own fuel.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still pump my own gas in NJ. No offense to anyone, you're just not touching my car.They can yell at me all they want, not going to happen.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well NJ is the armpit of America so no surprise there, and besides a lot of things wrong with that stupid State, one of them is that you cant pump you own gas just the same as in 80% of the state you cannot make a left turn but have to drive and extra 2 miles loop around a U-turn and them drive back. Whenever im in that dump of a state I make sure I stand next to the car the entire time the "gas attendant" fills the car, I run outside right away to make sure when they open the gas door and unlock the cap it does not dangle on the quarter panel and scratch it (which 90% they do)
Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Doc_A8
You can (and should) swipe your own card at gas pumps in Oregon. If anybody tells you otherwise they are likely wanting your card for something else.

A new law recently passed in Oregon allowing those in 'rural' areas to pump their own gas. Not sure how they define rural...
just picked up mishars car from seattle and drove it to michigan, made a stop in what was definitely rural oragon (everyone wore cammo and drove old trucks) i had forgotten about this law, got out and proceeded to the pump...the attendant got a little full of herself when she informed me that i "wasnt allowed" to pump my own gas.... i asked her if pumping gas was too complicated for the locals to figure out... she didnt talk much after that.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would ask the pesky attendant if they ever saw a $100,000 car before. If not, now they have. While the older A8 didn't cost $100K, a new one can cost that and more. My dealer has one A8 4.2 that is priced at $103,000 and a w12 at $144,000
Old 09-05-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

In NJ and Oregon, while it doesn't make sense to most who don't live in those states, like it or not, it is the law. When I had to travel to NJ for business, after they finished and processed my credit card, I would always get out and ensure that my gas cap was present and on tight. I figured out that giving a low skilled, minimum wage station attendant a hard time probably wasn't helpful.

Both states' legislatures in the past have repeatedly resisted changing the laws mostly with the argument that it would put thousands of people out of work (the original safety justifications have long been proven to be irrelevant). Once again these states are considering changing the law and maybe this time they will figure out that it's in the best interest for consumers to pump their own gas if desired.

If the no-pump laws are finally rescinded, residents of both states, most of whom have never filled their own tanks, would have to learn how to operate a gas pump.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-05-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
In both states' legislatures in the past have repeatedly resisted changing the laws mostly with the argument that it would put thousands of people out of work (the original safety justifications have long been proven to be irrelevant). /
This argument (by the government) is also as irrelevant and makes absolutely no sense as the one about safety. How about they provide the framework (working with the private sector) to create job/training opportunities for these people to move up into more skilled /higher paying jobs? Seems like a no-brainer to me.....except if I missing something here. SMH.

Quick Reply: Why I hate NJ's numbnuts rules...