A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 A8L Off Idle Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 2011, I only notice it when I slow down to about 10mph and then hit the gas, a small hesitation followed by a jerk. From idle, I don't have any issues.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RL371
I have a 13' S8 and don't have the hesitation issue. Is the issue being caused by the turbos not spooling up in time for a good enough torque/power response? I had a 2009 BMW 750i before this, and that seemed to happen often. I would pull out to pass someone, and it was either no power or spill your coffee jumpy power after 1.5 seconds.

Does this problem happen when you use manual mode or sport mode? I could still replicate my problem in my 7 series using tiptronic. Is the A8 hesitating to down shift properly/select the correct gear, or is the power a lag from turbo?
This happens in my '13 A8L in standard or sport mode. I think the hesitation when you lift your foot off the gas and then punch it might be due to an emmisions thing whereby the fuel cuts completely off for a brief moment whenever you let off the gas to allow any fuel left in the system to burn off--this occurs in some motorcycles for that reason and is quite annoying. I do not drive with one foot on the accelerator and one foot on the brake.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am about to order a A8 3.0. Should I reconsider?

My BMW 7 has the same hesitation problem, transmission update does not help. It is the reason that I ditch BMW.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by leap

My BMW 7 has the same hesitation problem, transmission update does not help. It is the reason that I ditch BMW.
My 2009 BMW M3 tried to kill me quite often during my 2 year lease. Randomly after coasting for a short time at maybe 20 mph, if I asked for throttle, it would lag for up to 3 seconds before the transmission and engine would play nice together. Even though they tried several TSBs and software fixes, it took two years before they finally figured it out. BMW denied there was ever a problem, but a megathread of 1757 posts on M3post.com couldn't have been imagining it.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=report+lag

I've been lurking on this forum since 2006, and still haven't bought an A8. Maybe next year.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by leap

I test drove a A8 SC 3.0 and I loved it since it has a supergharger there is no lag, the power is right there, if I were to do it again I would get the 3.0 V6 I love the 4.0T and the 4.2 V8 is the best
Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A8LNYC
I test drove a A8 SC 3.0 and I loved it since it has a supergharger there is no lag, the power is right there, if I were to do it again I would get the 3.0 V6 I love the 4.0T and the 4.2 V8 is the best
Agree on the 3.0 V6 comments. But... although the 4.0T's lag is annoying, its power and torque is quite amazing once you're moving. I don't regret upgrading over my 2012 4.2, and am hopeful that Audi comes up with a solution for the lag. Even a subtle improvement would be a step in the right direction and would make a difference. In the meantime, however, I'm afraid that any Smart Car or Prius has the jump on me when the light turns green. ):
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone had resolution on this yet?

Just noticed this starting on our '12 A8L over the past few months, intermittent at best, but alarming as hell when it does happen.

Taking it in tomorrow to have it checked, will forward all relevant detail from this thread, including earlier TSB too.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Has anyone had resolution on this yet?

Just noticed this starting on our '12 A8L over the past few months, intermittent at best, but alarming as hell when it does happen.

Taking it in tomorrow to have it checked, will forward all relevant detail from this thread, including earlier TSB too.
Yes. On October 13, 2013 I had a transmission software update on my 2013 A8L that resolved the lag problem for me.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knox379
Yes. On October 13, 2013 I had a transmission software update on my 2013 A8L that resolved the lag problem for me.
My dealer says there's no fix for this, and maintains the lag is normal and by design - it's intended to reduce the huge power of the engine so throttle tip-in isn't overpowering. This is a load of crap. This lag nearly resulted in me being t-boned recently, and is more than just a nuisance.

Do you have a TSB number or any specific information about the update you received?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Barmats
My dealer says there's no fix for this, and maintains the lag is normal and by design - it's intended to reduce the huge power of the engine so throttle tip-in isn't overpowering. This is a load of crap. This lag nearly resulted in me being t-boned recently, and is more than just a nuisance.

Do you have a TSB number or any specific information about the update you received?
At the time my update was done, the service adviser said the purpose was to address the hesitation issue. I will call my dealer and see if I can get any specific info that might help you talk to your dealer.

Quick Reply: 2013 A8L Off Idle Hesitation