A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The A6 difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been driving a new 2016 2.0T A6 Premium plus, sport package loaner for the last couple weeks, even took it on a 3500 mile trip to NC, want to talk about a cheap piece of crap! Oh how I missed my A8. Funny thing is the fuel mileage is/was no better than my 4.2 is in the A8! How crazy is that!

Yes, the A8 will spoil you for sure, but I'm surprised what a step down the Premium Plus is over my wife's Prestige A6. If I'm not mistaken that's only one step in levels, but its a big difference in comfort and luxury. I'm sure the seats in the Premium Plus A6 are vinyl, and they are awful to sit in! No way are they leather.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

When I compare the A6 to the Merc E Class or the BMW 5 series, it is surprisingly tinny and lacks the solid vault feel of traditional German sedans.

It was not the fit and finish - which was good as Audi always is - it was just so incredibly tin can like.

I remember driving a rental A6 circa 2002 in Germany that was extremely solid.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The A6, 5, E, etc. are mainstream cars. The A8, LS, S, 7 all have the extra nice items to make it that much more special. From noise insulation, seating comfort, leather feel, control layout, etc. it is the mainstream flagship for most of these brands (I realize there are Alpina's, S maybach's, etc. but I am talking mainstream). I can honestly say that the interior of the A8 is astonishing to me. I don't drive it very much as it is my spouses car but when I get in it, I am always impressed! The A6 is nice but it just isn't at the A8 level and for good reason. That additional $30k better go somewhere!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hooked for life

Originally Posted by luxury1
The A6, 5, E, etc. are mainstream cars. The A8, LS, S, 7 all have the extra nice items to make it that much more special. From noise insulation, seating comfort, leather feel, control layout, etc. it is the mainstream flagship for most of these brands (I realize there are Alpina's, S maybach's, etc. but I am talking mainstream). I can honestly say that the interior of the A8 is astonishing to me. I don't drive it very much as it is my spouses car but when I get in it, I am always impressed! The A6 is nice but it just isn't at the A8 level and for good reason. That additional $30k better go somewhere!!!
I had an '07 D3 and my wife always told people that I loved that car more than I loved her. After scrolling up nearly 200K on the odometer (I drive a LOT) I lived without an Audi in the garage for a little over one year until I just couldn't take it anymore. My son and I had been admiring the sleek looking A7's whizzing by on the highway and I was convinced that was what I wanted until I test drove one with a friend in the backseat. Her head was against the roof liner and while it was nice and familiar behind the wheel, it just didn't feel the same. The ride was not as good, the space was not as accommodating. We went back to the lot and I drove the D4 and immediately I felt I was "back home". I was in love again. There is nothing to compare with it, even at the Audi dealership.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Agree! Couldn't believe that my mileage was no better...

I had an A6 2.0T as a loaner for a week, got a flat on the first day, and had to drive 60mph for the rest of the week (on the doughnut). Got just under 27mpg as an average for the whole week and hit 29mpg max. In my A8L 4.2 I get that (27 mpg) routinely at 80mph so I'm not impressed at all with the tradeoff. The 2 liter was peaky, sounded coarse and had none of the fun the 4.2 delivers

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
I've been driving a new 2016 2.0T A6 Premium plus, sport package loaner for the last couple weeks, even took it on a 3500 mile trip to NC, want to talk about a cheap piece of crap! Oh how I missed my A8. Funny thing is the fuel mileage is/was no better than my 4.2 is in the A8! How crazy is that!

Yes, the A8 will spoil you for sure, but I'm surprised what a step down the Premium Plus is over my wife's Prestige A6. If I'm not mistaken that's only one step in levels, but its a big difference in comfort and luxury. I'm sure the seats in the Premium Plus A6 are vinyl, and they are awful to sit in! No way are they leather.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz are all installing blown four bangers in their mid-size models. I have never driven a 4 cylinder that doesn't feel and sound coarse above mid-throttle. And as it is working hard to propel that mid-size car, the economy is not better than a 6 cylinder powerplant.

I would like to test drive Volvo's new turbo and supercharged four, however my expectations are not high
Old 12-24-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the point in the original post is all relative. I have a 2012 A6 Prestige and I feel the same way whenever I drive an A4, A3, or Q5 as a loaner. They feel like light little go-carts and the build quality just isn't there. When I get back in my A6 it feels way more solid and refined.

Isn't that how it should be? There's a $30k price difference between a loaded A6 and an A8L in the US. That $30k gets you a lot in terms of finish, materials, and overall refinement. My A6 has been trouble-free and I'm really happy with it (except for the uncomfortable driver's seat), but I recognize the difference with an A8 when I sit in one. It's a big reason I'm looking to move up to an A8 in the next few months.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, that's how it should be.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
I think the point in the original post is all relative. I have a 2012 A6 Prestige and I feel the same way whenever I drive an A4, A3, or Q5 as a loaner. They feel like light little go-carts and the build quality just isn't there. When I get back in my A6 it feels way more solid and refined.

Isn't that how it should be? There's a $30k price difference between a loaded A6 and an A8L in the US. That $30k gets you a lot in terms of finish, materials, and overall refinement. My A6 has been trouble-free and I'm really happy with it (except for the uncomfortable driver's seat), but I recognize the difference with an A8 when I sit in one. It's a big reason I'm looking to move up to an A8 in the next few months.
I would suggest you sit and drive in a base bmw 5 series or E class - they're noticeably less tinny

heck even a 2008 A6 feels less tinny
Old 12-24-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TNJohn
Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz are all installing blown four bangers in their mid-size models. I have never driven a 4 cylinder that doesn't feel and sound coarse above mid-throttle. And as it is working hard to propel that mid-size car, the economy is not better than a 6 cylinder powerplant.

I would like to test drive Volvo's new turbo and supercharged four, however my expectations are not high
I had the new Volvo XC90 as a rental down in Florida last month. Shockingly it was a loaded version, very nice interior. I was absolutely amazed that the power plant was a 4 cylinder engine. Whatever they do in turbo/super charging their engine really works, never felt wanting for power, very quick off the line in sport mode for such a heavy SUV. I was really enjoying my time with the Volvo until I needed my first tank of gas and couldn't get the gas cap door open! As it turns out it's an issue with the xc90's. just made it back to Budget at ft lauderdale airport sucking fumes. They gave me a Jaguar XF in its place, a mediocre luxury sedan at best, still had a cheap Ford interior. Regards. Ned.