A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Tdi. Buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my brother has a Golf TDI and was offered a $500 gift card and $500 towards any future service. He's also signed on with the Seattle law firm that has the class action against VW, same firm that did the Toyota class action. No one will be able to sell their VW diesels after this, at least not at a significant loss.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Has any Audi 3.0 TDI owner (Q7, Q5, A8, A6, A7 etc.) had any engine related item fixed in the last month? I would think that the dealer "would bend over backwards" to make things right. Would be good to actually get some data vs. speculation. My guess is that these engines will be well taken care off by the dealer to try and restore the diesel reputation etc.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

VW/Audi fessed up on the 3.0TDI earlier today--all years, all models. Says legal in Europe--lax emissions compliance low bar standard... Suggests only a reflash is necessary. No info on how it affects performance or economy. But probably not too hard to speculate and connect the dots.

Volkswagen Reverses Course, Acknowledges Additional Cheating | TheDetroitBureau.com
Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does anyone have any further input regarding the diesel option? I'm looking for another diesel (currently own a '12 VW Passat TDI) as I'm interested in the fuel mileage of the TDI cars. I drive a lot so most likely I won't be looking at resale value much anyway, regardless of which car I get. My VW has close to 138k miles currently and with all regular maintanance, it runs and looks almost new. I'm looking at getting into something nicer, especially since I spend a lot of time in the car, and i can have AWD for the winter months. Given my difference in "need", I can't help but think the TDI motor in either the A8 or A7 i'm considering is well worth it. I don't have any issue with whats happended with VW/Audi, unless of course any changes that need to be made will seriously affect my mpg.

any thoughts?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If that's what you want, go for it. I'm sure it will be fine. That said, the gas motors are quite good as well. It just comes down to which character you prefer. Personally, I don't think the cars will be much different after whatever fix VW will inevitably implement.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm hoping maybe someone has some experience with the 3.0 tdi motor in the audi. Obviously maintenance and reliability information would be helpful considering the higher costs of the car and regular service. Do you know if they use the same trans in these cars regardless of the motor? How dependable are they compared to earlier auto trans? Do they require 40k mile service intervals like the DSG trans in the Passat? I opted for the manual trans in my Passat as I almost always prefer this option anyway, but it won't be an option for the Audi's.

Originally Posted by Jack88
If that's what you want, go for it. I'm sure it will be fine. That said, the gas motors are quite good as well. It just comes down to which character you prefer. Personally, I don't think the cars will be much different after whatever fix VW will inevitably implement.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine will be fine it's an emission thing, especially with California, not an engine fault. It's likely a ECU & urea (adblue) fix.

Likely the transmissions are the same for the torque increase. Could even be an S8 transmission to account for it. (my bmw 335d has a 7-series transmission to account for the torque)

You're unlikely to buy one from a dealer, unless they're very shady. Heard the other day about someone who took euro-delivery pre-'stop sale'. The car is now sitting at a US port with no-one confessing as to why it won't ship to the dealer. Been there for 4 months.

My only concern with audi diesel would be the dealership honoring service/audi care. I read that VW was considering buying back some cars.

At present BMW has the 535d & 328d. Avoid the VW V10TDI.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 59k miles on A6 TDI

Originally Posted by nativefx
I'm hoping maybe someone has some experience with the 3.0 tdi motor in the audi. Obviously maintenance and reliability information would be helpful considering the higher costs of the car and regular service. Do you know if they use the same trans in these cars regardless of the motor? How dependable are they compared to earlier auto trans? Do they require 40k mile service intervals like the DSG trans in the Passat? I opted for the manual trans in my Passat as I almost always prefer this option anyway, but it won't be an option for the Audi's.
So the TDI in the A6 is essentially the same as in the A8 (A6 slightly later development so HP and torque figures are a little higher). I took delivery of my 2014 A6 Prestige TDI in Sept 2013 and have driven 59k miles so far. The only issue which has come up involved the AdBlue tank and pump. At about 48k miles it showed 1500 miles remaining on quantity (this is a big deal, since if the tank gets too low/runs dry, the car will not run). It is supposed to be refilled when the services are performed. I brought it back to dealer and they checked the reset function and made sure it was topped off (it had been). About 1000 miles later I got the same message. Dealer installed new tank and pump, and no problems so far. Other than that, the car has been flawless. I drive about a 50/50 mix of highway (75-80 mph) and in town slow traffic. I've averaged 31.5 mpg over 59k miles, and that's calculated without relying on the car's on-board computer. I went to the Rolex 24 at Daytona a few weeks ago. New Orleans to Daytona easily on one tank (80-85 mph with the help of a few rabbits out front and 41 mpg).

Drivability is spectacular. The car has torque for days, and when I go to Audi driving events (quattro de mayo, etc) there is VERY little i can't keep up with or stay in front of on twisty roads (and I've been on drives with D4 S8s, S7s, and new Corvettes), and everyone else on the drives is refueling at the end of each day while I refuel every two days. Leaving the transmission (conventional auto as opposed to DSG) in Sport mode keeps the car right in the optimum torque range, and it is very quick under those circumstances.

As you might guess, I'm very happy with this power plant in my car. Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow..you guys realize that there is a very small amount of people here in the states that WANT diesel engines and those do not care about their resale value. If you buy a new car and are worried about resale value then you should not buy new.