A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC and Audi Braking Guard Unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Totally disagree, respectfully. These are the same guys that gave the OP a line of BS, denying responsibility...and they clearly haven't a clue. Once the dealer has the car hooked up to the diagnostics equipment they can address any recoding or realignment issues in the moment. It won't be inexpensive, but it will (should) be corrected IF that is the issue. I've previously discussed this topic with my dealer's service manager and he confirmed that there is some realignment/recoding that needs to be done when replacing a windshield on an A8 (and now also on other models). That's my opinion, anyway.

As my wife says, I'd agree with you.... but then we'd both be wrong :-)

You misunderstood my comment.... or I did not state it correctly. You pick.

I wouldn't let the glass guys try to fix it. But I would expect them to pay to have it corrected.

The comments before mine said something about turning the repair into the insurance company.... and that might be the next step as it's all part of the repair.

But if I paid someone to replace my windshield I would expect them to know what needed to be done in that repair/replacement and everything should be addressed at the time of the replacement.

Now, with all that said, I believe that the glass company just didn't know what all was involved and is not willing to admit their ignorance. It's time for them to "learn" what is involved to put a windshield into one of these cars.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmr
As my wife says, I'd agree with you.... but then we'd both be wrong :-)

You misunderstood my comment.... or I did not state it correctly. You pick.

I wouldn't let the glass guys try to fix it. But I would expect them to pay to have it corrected.

The comments before mine said something about turning the repair into the insurance company.... and that might be the next step as it's all part of the repair.

But if I paid someone to replace my windshield I would expect them to know what needed to be done in that repair/replacement and everything should be addressed at the time of the replacement.

Now, with all that said, I believe that the glass company just didn't know what all was involved and is not willing to admit their ignorance. It's time for them to "learn" what is involved to put a windshield into one of these cars.
Let's chalk it up to me misunderstanding where you were coming from 😉 Sounds like we're essentially on the same page.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Let's chalk it up to me misunderstanding where you were coming from 😉 Sounds like we're essentially on the same page.
Or we could settle this like real men....

Over a beer....

:-)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just a quick update on this guys. After managing to speak to the owner the windscreen company sent out a different engineer who has been trained to fit glass on these hi-tech cars, why they let the first guy loose on my car is beyond me!!

He identified an issue with the fitting of the rear view mirror, the silicon used to hold the mirror in place wasn't aligned properly and was blocking the sensors. He removed the mirror and replaced it and I checked over the alignment very carefully and it looks good.

Unfortunately this hasn't cleared the error, maybe once the system shuts down it needs to be re-activated by Audi? I'm gonna head down to my mechanic mate tomorrow to see if we can reset the error code ourselves.

The owner was a bit cagey about reimbursement of any costs I may incur at Audi if I have to take it in saying that if the mirror was the problem refitting should clear things up. I will push hard to get a commitment to cover the costs of any repairs, I'm prepared to take these clowns to court if I have to so hopefully he'll realise I will not let this go and do the right thing.

I'll update once I have more news
Old 01-15-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Or we could settle this like real men....

Over a beer....

:-)
Ha! Wait until I get my triglyceride levels back down to normal 😣
Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by andonevris
So just a quick update on this guys. After managing to speak to the owner the windscreen company sent out a different engineer who has been trained to fit glass on these hi-tech cars, why they let the first guy loose on my car is beyond me!!

He identified an issue with the fitting of the rear view mirror, the silicon used to hold the mirror in place wasn't aligned properly and was blocking the sensors. He removed the mirror and replaced it and I checked over the alignment very carefully and it looks good.

Unfortunately this hasn't cleared the error, maybe once the system shuts down it needs to be re-activated by Audi? I'm gonna head down to my mechanic mate tomorrow to see if we can reset the error code ourselves.

The owner was a bit cagey about reimbursement of any costs I may incur at Audi if I have to take it in saying that if the mirror was the problem refitting should clear things up. I will push hard to get a commitment to cover the costs of any repairs, I'm prepared to take these clowns to court if I have to so hopefully he'll realise I will not let this go and do the right thing.

I'll update once I have more news
Some progress I guess. Please keep us posted. Nothing is simple with these cars.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So GOOD NEWS on this. I took the car back to my mechanic mate and this time we were able to reset the error code and the ACC and braking guard came back to life

So for future reference I can confirm that the forward facing camera in the rear view mirror is part of the ACC. If it is not functioning correctly the ACC will shutdown even if the radar domes are working properly.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by andonevris
So GOOD NEWS on this. I took the car back to my mechanic mate and this time we were able to reset the error code and the ACC and braking guard came back to life

So for future reference I can confirm that the forward facing camera in the rear view mirror is part of the ACC. If it is not functioning correctly the ACC will shutdown even if the radar domes are working properly.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Glad you got that all sorted. I wish that if the ACC didn't work, it could revert to a standard cruise control with a warning telling you it wasn't going to slow itself.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats. I guess it's like dominos. From the tech literature it appears that these systems all share sensors to one extent or another, and function sequentially; if one aspect is off, the whole system doesn't like it.

Glad to hear you're back in business.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same error pop up this weekend. I think it was due to snow covering the entire front of my car. I am hoping once it melts away that it will start working again.

Quick Reply: ACC and Audi Braking Guard Unavailable