A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMI RSE Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default AMI RSE Etc.

So the car I bought has RSE and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about it. My understanding is that there is an AMI in the arm rest back there. Can the front and rear MMI access either the front or rear AMI? I'd like to get a usb hard drive and put it in the rear armrest with movies and music. But i'd like to be able to access it from the front MMI as well. In addition does anyone know if you can access the rear jukebox with the front MMI and vice versa? Hopefully someone has RSE and can let me know if this works as I won't have my car for about a month.

Also I'm looking at this AMI cable for the hard drive:

https://www.amazon.com/Xtenzi-4F0051...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Seems like it works well for that. What cable are people using for Android phones? The one above doesn't seem to work for that purpose.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
So the car I bought has RSE and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about it. My understanding is that there is an AMI in the arm rest back there. Can the front and rear MMI access either the front or rear AMI? I'd like to get a usb hard drive and put it in the rear armrest with movies and music. But i'd like to be able to access it from the front MMI as well. In addition does anyone know if you can access the rear jukebox with the front MMI and vice versa? Hopefully someone has RSE and can let me know if this works as I won't have my car for about a month.

Also I'm looking at this AMI cable for the hard drive:

https://www.amazon.com/Xtenzi-4F0051...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Seems like it works well for that. What cable are people using for Android phones? The one above doesn't seem to work for that purpose.
Assuming you have your VIN (or any VIN off any D4 for the given model year...), you can access the manuals from the Audi USA web site here: Audi Online Owner's Manual Way more readable on a tablet like an iPad BTW than my laptop if you have a choice. Then you can read up on whole car well in advance. RSE is in the MMI related manual. Probably will find some of your questions answered there. I read them once as best I could before I got mine, and then again after the first day when I had a bunch of questions from driving it hands on.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion MP, however I already read through the owners manual and MMI manual this weekend. It left me with the questions above. It talks about an AMI connector in the rear armrest and a separate jukebox but not if you can access the front jukebox and AMI. It does state that you can use the rear DVD drive to watch movies or the DVD changer located in the glove box. Unfortunately it doesn't really differentiate between RSE like i'm getting and RSE in the 4 seat model. I'm not even sure there is a rear seat DVD slot or AMI in the arm rest.