A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone come to A8 by way of SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anyone come to A8 by way of SUV?

Hi there, I've posted a few times and am considering my options to my current 5series wagon. Our other car is a '13 Q7 that my wife drives. I was really focused on either an A8 or an S6 but recently I've been distracted by the versatility of the Cayenne (specifically the diesel). Maybe this distraction is due to the fact that the Q7 replaced an X5 that served as my DD for 6.5 years, or maybe it's because I still have the versatility of the wagon that I inherited from my wife.

Anyway, I know not many people cross shop the A8 with an SUV but I'm basically looking at 2 different $80k options and want to make the best decision. The Cayenne offers good performance, versatilty, goes anywhere - wears many hats. The A8 is obviously a beautiful flagship - 'nuff said.

Tough choice. Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by Puzz1; 05-11-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

The A8L offers enormous space for the passengers, but the Porsche will have the room for luggage, but you will sacrifice second row seating room. In terms of performance, the diesel or V6 offers acceptable performance with an excellent chassis, but to me the V8 is the one to have, offering effortless acceleration all the way up to the limiter. The Porsche doesn't offer even near the comfort, but it's performance and character ensures you will have an engaging drive as well, with added benefit of cargo space.

Last edited by Jack88; 05-12-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tried to talk my wife into a Cayenne turbo, but she was more comfortable in the S8. Me, I wanted the performance of the Porsche, but I must say the performance of the S8 is close to the Cayenne turbo in my limited experience with the Porsche.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you trying to say that the Cayenne turbo has better performance than the S8?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, let's not get into a discussion of what "performance" means. Let me just say that IMO the Porsche was much more responsive in all driving situations. Was it as auick in a straight line as the S8? Probably not, but that aspect of things isn't really that important to me.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traded in my Cayenne Turbo for my 2015 A8L 4.0. The A8 is larger than the Cayenne. There is definitely more passenger room in the sedan and I feel that the seats are more comfortable and I had the 18 way sport seats. Obviously the trunk of the Cayenne was more versatile. I feel the ride if the A8 is more comfortable without giving up too much to the Porsche. Mine had all the electronic gadgets to make it handle well and it could definitely take a curve but to be honest neither are what we'd call sports cars. Straight line they feel similar if not a bit faster for the A8.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I own a 2014 Cayenne S and a 2007 A8. If you need the utility of a SUV, the Cayenne is a great vehicle, but the A8 is superior in every aspect I can think of.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cross shopped a Cayenne S wth the A8 because I have two kids under 3yo, live in a city that has a lot of street flooding, and pot holes that can destroy less than sturdy vehicles. I usually keep cars about 3 years with the exceptions of two SUVs, a Land Rover and a Touareg, both of which I loved.

The first thing I noticed at the dealership with the Cayenne S was the wonderful sound of the exhaust just with the back hatch open and the car idiling. It was also a pleasure to drive with no wallow or body roll. I was pretty sold on it until I started optioning it out. The ridiculously under equiped base model jumped up 5 figures just to get to the point that was acceptable to me.

The A8 is more comfortable, better optioned, and isn't parked at every broker's open house in the city. If you shop at Whole Foods, wear yoga pants, and sell houses to occupy your free time between martini brunches, you own a Cayenne around here.

I chose the A8 but I am seriously pushing my wife to replace her Q5 with a Cayenne.

Last edited by kobanna; 05-13-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Kobanna, I also "pushed" my wife to get the Cayenne, and she really likes it. You mentioned the exhaust sound of the Cayenne; I ordered the sports exhaust on the Cayenne. I love it, but if my wife ever found out what it cost she would kill me. An indirect benefit of the Cayenne is that with a new large vehicle in my "fleet" I am inclined to keep my A8 for a long time to come. It is probably the best car I have ever owned. Mike
Old 05-14-2015, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Just drove the A8 nwb 3.0t against the Cayenne Diesel back to back. I think I have the Cayenne out if my system. The A8 is truly amazing and is more car in every respect (except cargo). So much more comfortable and responsive. I also think the MMI and overall tech in the A8 is better as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone come to A8 by way of SUV?