A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else get a letter about T-Mobile and a New Cell Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Anyone else get a letter about T-Mobile and a New Cell Radio?

So, I got a letter from AOA that T-Mobile is killing the type of 3G that the MMI uses to communicate in my area (OKC). According to the letter, that will limit me to 2G only. The letter says that the dealer will replace the cell radio for free with a new version that will not only work with T-Mobile, but also AT&T. Too bad they didn't go ahead and do 4G, but this says it will only restore my 3G. Anyone else get this - and has anyone gotten the new radio yet?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My experience AOA isn't being very honest about this whole subject. My '15 S8 works just fine with AT&T. I don't have 4G, but 3G data and Google work just great. Prior to changing AOA promised me that it wouldn't work at all.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Talked to the Dealer

They didn't know anything about it, but called AOA and now I have an appointment next week. I'll report back.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
My experience AOA isn't being very honest about this whole subject. My '15 S8 works just fine with AT&T. I don't have 4G, but 3G data and Google work just great. Prior to changing AOA promised me that it wouldn't work at all.
They're plenty honest about it, the people you talked to just didn't have any idea what to tell you since THEY only offer service through T-Mobile. Anyway, the equipment in 14+ models is the same that they're refitting to older cars.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
They're plenty honest about it, the people you talked to just didn't have any idea what to tell you since THEY only offer service through T-Mobile. Anyway, the equipment in 14+ models is the same that they're refitting to older cars.
No, the person I talked to told me, "We don't support AT&T, only T-Mobil." I told her that was not satisfactory when I paid what I paid for the car and she told me "If you can afford a car costing that much you shouldn't complain about having to have T-Mobil."

Last edited by RED HORSE; 07-08-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the high tech world "We don't support..." and "It doesn't work" are not the same.

"We don't support" usually simply means that the originating company hasn't done the investigation to see whether it works or doesn't have a contract with that supplier. In reality it's a 'we don't know if it works, but if it breaks your stuff, you're on your own'.

"It doesn't work" implies that they have definitive knowledge that it doesn't function.

Of course - since you probably end up talking to someone in a call center with a procedure manual, even getting the right negative answer may be a bit hit and miss....

<<grumble grumble, standards of service today, grumble >>
Old 07-08-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was past the first call center voice and talking to someone claiming they were in the "Tech Support" when I was told basically Tough S##t and if I could afford a car costing over $100,000 I shouldn't complain.

A very big strike against Audi after purchasing my first.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Tech Support = Paid Googlers
Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the letter yesterday. I called AofA and was told that I would need to switch to an AT&T plan if I wanted to continue receiving 3G connection service after July 22nd. I told the call rep that I paid $324.00 in late April for a one year subscription to AudiConnect with T-Mobile. I asked if the balance of the remaining term (about 9 1/2 months) would be prorated and applied to a new AT&T plan and was told that it would not carry over. Of course I hit the ceiling when they told me I would lose the money I paid. I called a second number for AudiConnect at T-Mobile (I didn't see this phone number when I made the first phone call) and was told that my remaining balance would be prorated into a new plan with AT&T. We'll see who's correct regarding this!

After making the phone calls, I stopped by my local Audi dealer (Audi of South Coast - formerly Commonwealth Audi) to inquire about the hardware installation. The service rep said they had performed this hardware update on only one other vehicle. He thinks that once the new hardware is installed, the car will continue to run on the 3G network under the T-Mobile plan and that I will not need to switch over to a new plan with AT&T. He wasn't sure if the hardware update would be covered for free in my car because it is already past the warranty. I told him that the letter references my VIN and clearly states that the update will be performed at no cost to me. I'm waiting for a call from the dealer to confirm this and then schedule the appointment. He said that this bulletin was rolled out very quickly to the dealerships so they are still receiving clarification about the entire process.

Last edited by Jgs1564; 07-08-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can tell you this from personal experience. AT&T, using one of their SIM cards, works fine in my S8, INCLUDING Audi Connect. But, and this is my problem with Audi, you can't access Audi Connect via the internet through the Audi site using the AT&T SIM card #. However, you can connect to Audi Connect through your vehicle using the AT&T sim card.

Audi American is screwed up on this and it is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth about Audi, even though I absolutely love my car. When it is time to trade, I'll have to think hard about buying another Audi just because of service (non-service) such as this.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a letter about T-Mobile and a New Cell Radio?