A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 2014 A8 - Top 5 Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by A7_TDI
What would be REALLY cool is if pushing button to open garage door (home link) also automatically activated parking assist at same time...

Edit: And give option to auto-retract mirrors.

It's interesting that putting car in reverse does activate p/a... and if you then shift back into drive the the p/a still stays active. So it's similar in concept.

Audi, are you listening ?
The auto-retract mirrors control is in settings in MMI. There is a tutorial on the Audi website or check the manual. I believe the sequence is "car-car systems- vehicle settings" and scroll through the options.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
The auto-retract mirrors control is in settings in MMI. There is a tutorial on the Audi website or check the manual. I believe the sequence is "car-car systems- vehicle settings" and scroll through the options.
I meant option to auto retract mirror when pushing home link button, ie while vehicle is essentially still in forward motion... if you have a very tight garage (or larger than average car?) it would be a handy feature.

As far as I could determine only way to do that now is by manually turning the mirror switch to 'fold' position... totally a 'first world problem'.

I already have auto retract mirror set for locking car.

Watching the tutorial videos is a good tip (escpecially for anyone waiting for their new car to arrive). But I wish owner manual was in digital format too.

Last edited by A7_TDI; 01-04-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
I have 3 stored that are rarely used since I know the addresses.
Normally I enter a destination by voice, or navigate to a contact in my phone.
The My Destinations section in myAudi lets you manage more of them as I recall.
It is pretty cumbersome but it looks like the myaudi.com solution may be a work around. I still haven't figured out how to select highway intersections as destinations. I seldom agree with the recommended routes on any of my navigation systems so I need to program intersections as way-points.

Thanks Jake
Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meant option to auto retract mirror when pushing home link button, ie while vehicle is essentially still in forward motion... if you have a very tight garage (or larger than average car?) it would be a handy feature.

As far as I could determine only way to do that now is by manually turning the mirror switch to 'fold' position... totally a 'first world problem'.

I already have auto retract mirror set for locking car.

Watching the tutorial videos is a good tip (escpecially for anyone waiting for their new car to arrive). But I wish owner manual was in digital format too.
Yeah initially after I got my car I pressed the mirror fold button each time before pulling into the garage. Now, I'm more used to the width of the car I don't do it anymore. Of course, now that I've written that I'm probably going to rip one of the mirrors off while backing out of the garage. LOL.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What would be REALLY cool is if pushing button to open garage door (home link) also automatically activated parking assist at same time...
Excellent idea which is immune to all the counter arguments I've heard about a more automated active parking. This would eliminate half of my annoyance but there is still the store parking lots where active parking requires manual activation (again, not a problem for other luxury cars).

Audi, are you listening ?
LOL! Do you really believe German engineers listen to anyone but other German engineers? I can hear them now: "Stupid customers need to just shut up and accept our superior designs. Feedback?? we don't need any stinking feedback!"

Mike
Old 01-05-2015, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
I still haven't figured out how to select highway intersections as destinations.
That would be handy, along with being able to enter GPS coordinates.
Looks like there might be something under House number/Intersection according to the manual - will have to look into that.
I wonder if Online Destinations works with intersections...

Edit: Looks like you can use geo-coordinates with Address -> Coordinates

I seldom agree with the recommended routes on any of my navigation systems so I need to program intersections as way-points.
At least this one doesn't screech at us when we go another way like others I've had

Had it re-route you due to traffic yet?
First time it did that I was like "WTF is going on here..." but I trust Audi so I went with it.
Turns out there was a motorhome on fire on the interstate it sent me around - ended up getting to the destination right on time...
Old 01-05-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, you can input a destination using the coordinates via myaudi.com. I've done that now for a couple of places. I need to go out to the Lexus and dial up all my favorites and copy the coordinates so that I can add them, but it sure is a pain in a car that costs this much.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, you can input a destination using the coordinates via myaudi.com. I've done that now for a couple of places. I need to go out to the Lexus and dial up all my favorites and copy the coordinates so that I can add them, but it sure is a pain in a car that costs this much.
Last time I tired myaudi.com for destinations, it would not allow entry of waypoints or stops along the way. Is this still the case?

Mike
Old 01-05-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OldManMike
Last time I tired myaudi.com for destinations, it would not allow entry of waypoints or stops along the way. Is this still the case?

Mike
Still the case from what I can see. My work around on this was to select the destination from myaudi.com then cancel the destination. Select a new destination using the recent destinations option on-board, then add the destination to the directory. Now I can select from the Directory and have the way-point option.

A PIA for a car costing this much, but doable. Since I'm retired and have the time I guess I won't get wound around the axle about it. Pretty dumb though.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No comment on my Shot?? Thought I'd be burning by now...

LOL

Mike

Quick Reply: Audi 2014 A8 - Top 5 Annoyances