A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 4.0T oil dipstick mod. S8, A8 and other 4.0T's

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Audi 4.0T oil dipstick mod. S8, A8 and other 4.0T's

Following up on my post the other day, here are the part # and other details to retrofit a real dipstick to a 4.0T. I have not found info on this anywhere, so it may be an AW D4 exclusive debut. There are no parts listings here or in Europe for a 4.0T dipstick that I could find, including other applications like S6, RS7, S7, etc. A few EKTA screens erroneously label the oil tube into which it fits as a dipstick, but by looking for actual pictures (like on eBay for used ones) I could tell the description was faulty.

In my case the application is a 2015 S8 with the pumped up 4.0T. That means an added air intake filter airbox on the same side as where the factory plug is located at the top of the dipstick tube. For any other 4.0T application, you should have more working space than what you see in the pics.

The winning part number is...079 115 607C. audiusaparts had it in stock even! $39 list, pretty well discounted to $24.18 net. Romney there even went back to look at it for me to confirm the upper diameter against the plug I pulled out. Bingo!

It comes from the FSI 4.2. Specifically for the 4.2 S4, and also some very early C6 A6 4.2's. I first stumbled upon it looking at dipstick pictures on EBay. I realized to look at the 4.2 FSI since 4.0T is supposedly a derivative. A key is the long pull handle it has, because the plugged off tube sits relatively low on the 4.0T. Critical on an S8 where you can't reach down in there without a tool.

Obviously also critical is the length of the measuring stick part, with the graduations at bottom. More subtle is the top plug diameter of the dipstick varies w/ Audis. Like on my Q5 it is much bigger in diameter there and wouldn't physically work even if the length was correct (they're not).

See a variety of pictures below where you see how it fits. Importantly, I tested it against the MMI display to see if they were in the same zone. You will see a display picture below, and also one with a small screwdriver pointing at where the oil actually was visually on dipstick (hard to capture in photo). I topped it up some and the physical dipstick and display did match up reasonably. I plan to do a real oil change with filter and all before the first AudiCare one, so I will do an exact spec. quantity fill and see how that cross checks, both to the dipstick and the display.

BTW, from the Q5 board I decided these can be important, and not just because I'm old school, do my own (post AudiCare) oil changes routinely and so on. There have been several bad stories on the Q5 board, often w/ 3.0T it seems or sometimes old 3.2. Often goes something like, the light for oil level turns on. They throw in a quart of oil. Light still on. More oil. By about 3 quarts extra (sometimes more...) maybe they realize something is amiss. If they post, car gets flat bedded to dealer. Usual find is it was a bad sensor and a now way overfilled crankcase. If they don't realize and start driving, major problem often. Thus to me, the dipstick is the definitive tool, the display a casual "tech" way to check it...as long as it works.

Finally, I dabbled with one other choice that might work IF you don't have twin air boxes. It is the fitment for most years of the C6 era 4.2 FSI, for late D3 4.2's with FSI, and the Q7 (FSI) 4.2. That number is 079 115 611R. Not verified by me beyond a picture below (from ECS Tuning website) that seems to have the right upper diameter and a decent medium length grab handle. Note that one has a curve to the handle part. If you don't have to thread it in between the valve cover and an air box like on a D4 S8, it might work as well or better. The D3 4.2FSI application seems like a pointer that way. S8 definitely needed as long a handle as I could find, and the extra airbox meant the curve wouldn't work.

Pictures:
1. Where to look for the factory dipstick tube plug--dipstick tip is pointing to it.
2. What plug and upper part of dipstick look like. Note long and straight upper handle, plus diameter of sealing area where it goes into tube.
3. Dipstick installed like you would see it opening the hood.
4. MMI screen displaying oil level.
5. New dipstick reading tying off to screen pretty much (screwdriver point is where oil reads on stick).
6. Possible other dipstick alternative that might be good if no twin air boxes; discussed above w/ that part#.
Attached Images       

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-19-2016 at 12:39 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by MP4.2+6.0:
09S5 (01-26-2021), DallasDave (05-06-2020), JulianHicks (08-07-2020), mikesvwservice (05-02-2023), Paladin-S8 (06-08-2021), Striker2237 (06-11-2023), urs6_ma (04-18-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent work! Our 2011 S5 4.2 did not come with a dipstick either. First mod I did. Crazy that it is not included with a performance vehicle.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent info and detailed post. This is great information.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I just ordered the 079-115-611-R for my car. I'll check back next week and let you know if it fits.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for an excellent tip. Just got my new dipstick, and it fits like it was designed to be. Amazed that Audi will save a few cents and rely on the computer level sensor only, a la BMW.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just received and installed mine as well. Marks match the MMI level. I'm also amazed they don't include a dipstick from the factory.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, if the dipstick match the MMI level why are we installing this ? Both my Mercs don't have it and there is nothing wrong so far....just curious.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I like to change my own oil and would prefer not to watch the MMI to make sure it's topped off. Also sometimes the sensor fails. Not so much on D4's but other Audi's have had issues.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
Ok, if the dipstick match the MMI level why are we installing this ? Both my Mercs don't have it and there is nothing wrong so far....just curious.
Well for example, there was the Q5 post I remember. Apparently working MMI display said needs at least a quart. Quart added. Nope, feed me another. And so on. Either 3 or four quarts later you can guess what happened. Car was flatbedded to dealer and running like crap. A few thousand for blown seals and who knows what else. I forget if it was under warranty or not. Sold me--on a stick. Have one for Q5 Hybrid too.

Or, B. You suction it--which I'm not a fan of but nonetheless you do. Well, how much is in bottom without drain plug pull? Just dump in full spec amount? Less? Look at gauge multiple times to try to get it right?

Tech in search of a problem.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-25-2016 at 10:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (05-02-2023)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Well for example, there was the Q5 post I remember. Apparently working MMI display said needs at least a quart. Quart added. Nope, feed me another. And so on. Either 3 or four quarts later you can guess what happened. Car was flatbedded to dealer and running like crap. A few thousand for blown seals and who knows what else. Forget is it was under warranty or not. Sold me--on a stick. Have one for Q5 Hybrid too.

Or, B. You suction it--which I'm not a fan of but nonetheless you do. Well, how much is in bottom without drain plug pull? Just dump in full spec amount? Less? Look at gauge multiple times to try to get it right?

Tech in search of a problem.

Great mod for the "older school" and DIY group- did the part # and it fits perfect and indicated a full level along with the MMI in my '13 S8.

Thanks again MP4.2 !!!

Quick Reply: Audi 4.0T oil dipstick mod. S8, A8 and other 4.0T's