A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Customer Care worthless...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Audi Customer Care worthless...

My dealer is still insisting that there is no MMI update for my car. I called Audi Customer Care and gave them the TSB from this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2864895/page4/

They claim that TSB does not exist.

No MMI update for me!

Instead, the dealer is replacing my microphone which is somehow going to make Bluetooth pairing faster and stop the buzzing sound. I asked them that question and said "what do I do when this does not fix the problem?" and the customer care rep went into a pitch about "there is no MMI fix for the car" and that "we can only do an MMI update to address specific issues for which there is a TSB." Oh, so there IS an update, you just won't give it to me?

I am at my wit's end with this ****.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that stinks !

I wish we could figure out the part number and start doing it ourselves like the previous generation A8.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default If it helps, my "Dale Carnegie" advice here:

having been through this on a variety of Audis and TSB's.

First, you need to get your hands on what ever TSB is on your mind. Not the web chat that can be dismissed as "I heard it on the Internet so it must be true." Get to the printed copy. Search the web for it. Ask your SA if you can't find it otherwise, etc. If you don't ever come up with it, you run the risk it's all a version of the old "telephone" kids game, and that's asking for difficulties and misinterpretations.

Next, read it carefully. Make sure preliminarily it applies to your year, your model, your VIN within the range, your equipment, etc. If not, no go. Some just plain don't even if you think they should. If it does apply per the specified model, year, VIN, etc., proceed.

Having checked for general applicabilty, read what it says the problem is and the solution. Make sure to read what it says, and not get thrown off by what you "thought" it said from what you read on the web.

Now, get in there to your service advisor. Do not go in with "I want TSB xyz fix." Instead lead with the problem. CRITICALLY, make sure the problem you cite fits the TSB wording. Then after you cite the problem, say to the effect of, I heard a bunch of owners are having this issue and there is some TSB/bulletin about it. Does that ring a bell to you? [Pause] Oh, let me look [Shuffle]. Yeah, here it is, TSB xyz.

Having been through this drill early on with my D3 on an MMI update that killed the "lawyer" warning screen, what you did not want to do is go in and say "I want the update to kill the lawyer screen because I don't like it." Then Audi gatekeeper says, nope, not a good reason and I guess the guy doesn't really have anything wrong with his Audi. Instead per the TSB you went in and said "my car is losing its presets overnight" (that was a specific thing the TSB identified as one of two possibles to get the update; that one was good because I knew they couldn't wait overnight to check but the TSB said it was a known issue). Then point them at the TSB if needed, and presto, you could get the update. The key is they need to be able to get it into some kind of diagnostic that is covered and they get reimbursed for. Thus, I actively try to help the SA with the "problem" wording now, both so they fix it right, but also so they can get any check off approvals they need along the way.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-25-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Well that stinks !

I wish we could figure out the part number and start doing it ourselves like the previous generation A8.
The part number for the CD-ROM for K0715_2 is 8R0906961CL.

$7.17 from 8R0906961CL - CDROM - ES#2684120

MMI 3GP = 8R0 906 961 CL - K_715 - U.S. for Q3/A6/A7/A8

Last edited by needles; 11-25-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow that's tempting for < $10
Not sure I want to be the first one to try it though....
Old 11-25-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Wow that's tempting for < $10
Not sure I want to be the first one to try it though....
I don't know what the process is, either. Is it a matter of loading the CD into the internal drive where the SD slots are and going into the MMI Setup and selecting software update? Audi wouldn't possibly make it that easy. There's probably some activation code and phone home bullsh!t...
Old 11-25-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by needles
There's probably some activation code
There is for the map updates I heard early on, no idea on the MMI update though
Old 11-25-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also would want to know if there are any prerequisites. I saw on the D3 you had to upgrade to one particular version before going to 4460 or whatever it is.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Service manager said that the upgrade is just the CD with no SVM nonsense and said "I didn't say this but you can really just do it yourself through the software update screen. Just follow the prompts."

Hmm...
Old 11-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default CD

Originally Posted by needles
The part number for the CD-ROM for K0715_2 is 8R0906961CL.

$7.17 from 8R0906961CL - CDROM - ES#2684120

MMI 3GP = 8R0 906 961 CL - K_715 - U.S. for Q3/A6/A7/A8
Needles,

What does the CD allow the owner to do?

Bruce

Quick Reply: Audi Customer Care worthless...