A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S8 - Mechanical Dream, Electronic Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Audi dealer service is arrogant and chaotic. It's not so much that they refuse to fix things as that they refuse to acknowledge that it needs fixing. I don't believe that they are trained or equipped to fix logic errors of any kind. It would be nice if they would just admit their limitations and stick to what they know.

My 2012 A8L is mostly wonderful. It has a few flaws in its computerization and electronics. Now that I understand that Audi is not willing or able to fix them, I've come to realize that I'm just going to have to live with those flaws, and that, all in all, it's a great car.

Some things, like the radio coming on when you don't want it to, are clearly misguided design decisions and not flaws in the electronics. That idiotic behavior is what it is designed to do. All cars have the scars of idiotic design decisions; it's just that when a fix is technically possible (it's just software) putting up with the car's stupid behavior takes more effort.

I would probably buy another Audi A8 in the future, but I would absolutely not take it to this dealer for servicing.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service department is key to these cars. You need to find one willing to work with you and get things done. You might have to drive to the next town to find it but in the end it is well worth the trip. I have a very good relationship with my service department and they always go above and beyond to fix anything I complain about.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't think that any Audi dealer is trained or equipped to handle intermittent problems in digital systems. Other than by replacing the unit. But if the problem doesn't ever manifest itself while they are watching, they aren't going to want to replace anything.

My MMI has various odd failures every week or two. After owning this car for a year and a half, I've come to realize that I'm just going to have to live with it the way it is.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bkreid
After owning this car for a year and a half, I've come to realize that I'm just going to have to live with it the way it is.
This is the reality of it.
No point in getting in a hissy fit over the small stuff....
Old 12-24-2013, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default MMI Firmware Update

Took my Audi in for service the other day. They gave me a 2014 Q5 as a loaner and I noticed that the MMI firmware version on that car is HN+_US_AU3G_P0715. Unfortunately I didn't think to look until too late, and the dealer didn't update my MMI software, which is version 0609. So I can't test for bug fixes but would certainly be interested in knowing whether they fixed any.

I don't suppose Audi provides release notes when they update the MMI software version? Saying they fixed some bugs would mean admitting they existed in the first place. Either way, I'd be interested to know if any owners with version 0715 can reproduce the bugs mentioned in this thread. Or see issues not previously mentioned.