A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back In An Audi

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back In An Audi

Hi all! In 2011, after 4 consecutive Audis, I decided to buy an American car. The Lincoln MKS Ecoboost is what I chose, and it was a better car than a lot of people who haven't experienced one in a while would think. Those turbo 3.5's really move (0-60 in 5 flat). The ride was delightful, the interior quiet, and the assembly/build quality has come a long way.

But, it always felt like a front-wheel drive car - despite being all-wheel. The brakes gave me moments of sheer dread. The Microsoft infotainment system was a bane of ownership. I hope none of these traits find their way in the new Continental; which I hope is a great achievement for them.

Two weeks ago, after looking for a good CPO for a month, I left the dealer with a 2012 A8 4.2. Everything I missed about owning an Audi is back, and facets I was previously not privy to are absolutely wonderful!

The 4.2 FSI gets better mileage on the highway than I ever would have thought! The messaging seats are amazing. In comfort mode, the ride is blissful - while the chassis remains completely controlled. The brakes are responsive and easily modulated (except at very low speeds). The 4.2/8 speed combination is quite smooth (except when cold) and enables passing with authority (not to mention the grin it brings)!

Replacing the Microsoft disaster in my life with MMI is as good an upgrade as I could imagine.

I'd been reading the reviews all these years, and didn't think I'd end up in an A8 - but, I didn't want to give up the great ride quality I found in the Lincoln. (am I getting old? ) As it turns out, I was able to match (or best) it, and get more of the Audi traits than I've ever had in a previous experience.

I'll always love my '95 90s... But, this is one hell of a way to get back in the fold!

I look forward to our future discussions!

Pete

Last edited by ppinto1; 12-11-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Welcome home, and congrats on your new ride. Give us some details: color combo, equipment packages, etc.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! It's a fantastic automobile.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ppinto1
Hi all! In 2011, after 4 consecutive Audis, I decided to buy an American car. The Lincoln MKS Ecoboost is what I chose, and it was a better car than a lot of people who haven't experienced one in a while would think. Those turbo 3.5's really move (0-60 in 5 flat). The ride was delightful, the interior quiet, and the assembly/build quality has come a long way.

But, it always felt like a front-wheel drive car - despite being all-wheel. The brakes gave me moments of sheer dread. The Microsoft infotainment system was a bane of ownership. I hope none of these traits find their way in the new Continental; which I hope is a great achievement for them.

Two weeks ago, after looking for a good CPO for a month, I left the dealer with a 2012 A8 4.2. Everything I missed about owning an Audi is back, and facets I was previously not privy to are absolutely wonderful!

The 4.2 FSI gets better mileage on the highway than I ever would have thought! The messaging seats are amazing. In comfort mode, the ride is blissful - while the chassis remains completely controlled. The brakes are responsive and easily modulated (except at very low speeds). The 4.2/8 speed combination is quite smooth (except when cold) and enables passing with authority (not to mention the grin it brings)!

Replacing the Microsoft disaster in my life with MMI is as good an upgrade as I could imagine.

I'd been reading the reviews all these years, and didn't think I'd end up in an A8 - but, I didn't want to give up the great ride quality I found in the Lincoln. (am I getting old? ) As it turns out, I was able to match (or best) it, and get more of the Audi traits than I've ever had in a previous experience.

I'll always love my '95 90s... But, this is one hell of a way to get back in the fold!

I look forward to our future discussions!

Pete
I'm glad you found your way back, Pete! Enjoy the months of finding all the little things.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Welcome home, and congrats on your new ride. Give us some details: color combo, equipment packages, etc.
It's black phantom pearl with a black interior. Looking at the options it has, I think it must have been ordered with the premium, convenience, and cold weather packages.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
I'm glad you found your way back, Pete! Enjoy the months of finding all the little things.
About those little things... Here's what I've got so far.

Over larger bumps, there are creaks (the car has 48k on it). It's ironic that the same tiny noises are coming from the same places as in *ALL* of my A6's! Headrests, A-Pillars (ever so slightly), and the sliding shade for the sunroof are all the usual culprits. I would have thought these noises (however slight they are) would have been sorted out in the A8. The most annoying, to me, is the sunroof shade.

I'm not sure if this next one is a feature or not. If I abruptly get on the brakes, the responsiveness seems two or three times normal - in the same amount of pedal travel. I'm not opposed to this reaction - it's just a little weird.

Though more pronounced when cold, the transmission has a tendency to jerk into gear with some types of throttle input. This isn't really a kickdown. It will either happen at very low speeds - or if I'm being indecisive with my right foot.

I'm not read up on the back posts yet. Are these common?

There's also the low grumble when tightly turning at low speeds - forever reminding me that I'm in a Quattro I've been used to that one for a long time now

The sound I'm not accustomed to is that sweet 4.2! I wonder how it sounds from outside! I've owned quite a few Ford and Chevy V8's - but never anything German. It sounds like part of the car is in a rally race somewhere - and I love it
Old 12-12-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

love the growl of a V8! bet the W12 sounds crazy
Old 12-12-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

The brakes have an emergency boost when you aggressively engage them, or if the car's Pre-Sense safety system anticipates a developing emergency braking scenario. The system supplies the brakes with extra hydraulic pressure. My wife complained about my braking in our 2011 D4 when the overboost engaged itself, since it was a rather harsh sensation---even when just normally slowing down at higher speeds on the highway...she started calling me "lead foot" 🙄
In my 2015 D4, the system seems much more refined to the point that we rarely get that abrupt braking sensation...so I guess Audi made some adjustments to the system.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, I've encountered the thing with the brakes. It doesn't come up often, but from time to time I'll get it. Right now my headrests are making noise, and it's driving me nuts. Anyone know which type of lubricant should be used? They didn't make noise when I bought it.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My problem with the pre-sense is that when I know I'm close to another car but want to whip around them, bad idea I know, the car sometimes won't let me!

Quick Reply: Back In An Audi