A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bass speaker rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:51 PM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bass speaker rattle

I noticed some here have complained on a rattle when heavy bass sounds are played. I have the same from time to time and today I decided to check where it originated. Its coming from the speaker protection grill covering the speaker in the back, seems its slightly loose.

So before I start tearing things apart and probably break something does anyone know the correct procedure to remove this protection grill?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Same thing here. I had the dealer look at it and they described it as a loose parcel shelf. They said they fixed it and for the most part they did. I still hear it every once in a while. When it buzzes on mine, it buzzes over bumps as well as low bass.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful with the speaker trim - it's a one time use only item.

See this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...oofer-2858978/
Old 09-15-2014, 04:41 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Be careful with the speaker trim - it's a one time use only item.

See this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...oofer-2858978/
Ok, different approach then. An alternative fix was cutting a bit of plastic, tie wrap and push it down at the back side of the protection trim, completely silent. You can test it by tapping the protection trim.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 8
Ok, different approach then. An alternative fix was cutting a bit of plastic, tie wrap and push it down at the back side of the protection trim, completely silent. You can test it by tapping the protection trim.
I have this problem as well. Can you illustrate what you've described? Did you basically shim some material between the opening for the speaker and the speaker housing itself? I'd love to see a picture so I can either do this myself or share it with the dealer... the bass rattle is getting on my case (I like my electro and I like my bass turned up about 2/3rds).

The dealer tells me "don't turn the bass up past 5 and you're ok"... WTH?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by needles
I have this problem as well. Can you illustrate what you've described? Did you basically shim some material between the opening for the speaker and the speaker housing itself? I'd love to see a picture so I can either do this myself or share it with the dealer... the bass rattle is getting on my case (I like my electro and I like my bass turned up about 2/3rds).

The dealer tells me "don't turn the bass up past 5 and you're ok"... WTH?
On my car its the protection trim that is slightly loose or not seated properly, if you tap the trim you should hear the same rattle. It seems its loose at the back end and yes I just shimed a suitable sized and colored material and its now dead silent. Hopefully this pic will help (if I can get it to show)

Name:  2505F6ED-AF6B-41A7-A069-D9D677C7194F.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  113.9 KB
The following users liked this post:
markremi (02-08-2021)
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dude, thank you so much for this! I'll try it out here.

I am hoping this is my issue and not something else. The "brap brap brap" with every kick drum hit is starting to annoy me.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the many times I have heard the bass rattle, not once was it coming from the speaker. Check closely as this is very deceiving. My experience says it may be something else.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A 8
On my car its the protection trim that is slightly loose or not seated properly, if you tap the trim you should hear the same rattle. It seems its loose at the back end and yes I just shimed a suitable sized and colored material and its now dead silent. Hopefully this pic will help (if I can get it to show)
Out of curiosity, what is the shim you used?
Old 09-17-2014, 12:26 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by needles
Out of curiosity, what is the shim you used?
You can quite easy test if its the trim or something else, just put one of your offending bass tracks on and make sure the car goes "brap brap brap" get in the back seat and put your hand on the speaker trim and apply a bit of pressure. If it stops the "brap" then you know its the trim, if not its something else.

I just took a 4 mm tie wrap and pried it in, its around 1mm thick and 4 mm wide.

Quick Reply: Bass speaker rattle