A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking suspension?

See this thread regarding the WHOOP noise:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2857231

Main shaft and bushings replaced, DID NOT RESOLVE. Still makes the whoop noise, mostly over dips in road.

Now for the past couple months (with colder weather, if relevant), the suspension is creaking when going over speed bumps slowly. Sounds like an old Chevy with rusted shocks as is gently moves up and over, and the up/down is noisy as hell.

Not sure if this will vanish with warmer outside temps, but the car is heading in for service next week.

I did review this thread
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840165

Any other thoughts or relevant reports appreciated.

Thx.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 03-07-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2012 has the same issue - mostly over speed bumps, mostly when cold or first drive after sitting.

Generally by the time I'm out of the neighborhood it stops.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2011 has a heavy thumping sound over repetitive bumps (we live on a three mile gravel road) most noticeable with light braking and only at the left front. Not surprisingly, the dealer could not duplicate on two separate occasions. Noise occurs hot or cold, initial drive or after countless miles. Curiously, all is quiet when driving in reverse over the same bumps. Can't say it's a whoop noise though. Maybe that's next.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My father-in-law's 2011 A8L makes a chattering noise over bumps, my 2011 A8 NWB does not. My initial thought was that he has 20" wheels and mine are 19", which are a little more forgiving on bad roads with an aluminum framed car.

He drives with his suspension set to auto, what setting are other people using when they hear the noise? I wonder if it happens in comfort as well as dynamic.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

my 2012 started doing this about 8 months ago. Only from the front suspension, it'll creak when going over speed bumps. Haven't approached the dealer about it yet.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Experience the same issue in a 2012 D4 A8.

Interestingly, had a similar issue in the D3 A8 which never got resolved despite raising it a number of times with the dealer.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone had any luck resolving this issue yet? Seems to be as bad, or worse. Usually on first 10 minutes from cold start. There has to be some history but Audi says nothing in the tech bulletins.

Annoying as hell.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know nothing about the D4 suspension setup, but it is likely similar to the D3. We all have this issue until components are replaced. Typical culprits are control arm bushings and sometimes sway bar links.

It sucks to hear they still haven't fixed it in the D4!!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My father-in-law finally had all of his issues resolved. The dealership told him that some part (shock/strut or something along those lines) was initially used on both A8 NWB and A8L. That part was later found to not be able to handle the added weight of the A8 L, and was no longer used on both models. They changed out the part on his car and now he says it drives perfect with no creaking, squeaking, or other obnoxious noise.

I am sure something was lost between what the service manager told him and he eventually told me, but that was the gist of it and now the issue has been completely resolved.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kobanna
My father-in-law finally had all of his issues resolved. The dealership told him that some part (shock/strut or something along those lines) was initially used on both A8 NWB and A8L. That part was later found to not be able to handle the added weight of the A8 L, and was no longer used on both models. They changed out the part on his car and now he says it drives perfect with no creaking, squeaking, or other obnoxious noise.

I am sure something was lost between what the service manager told him and he eventually told me, but that was the gist of it and now the issue has been completely resolved.
If possible, a look at the invoice would give the part, it's number and perhaps if it is under a TSB, it's number as well. If the number of postings on this issue is any indication a lot of us are dealing with suspension noises. Any further help you can give would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Creaking suspension?