A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deals on a new s8 plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by zman62
With a 43% residual it should give room at the end to sell the car, pay the residual and pocket some money.
This part I'm not sure of actually--my 20%/yr. depreciation metric, plus 20...
1. .8 ===>.8
2. .8 x .8 = .64
3. .64 x .8 = .512
AND, the model change "extra" 20% whack--probably starting about now as sense of D5 gets out there more, and in full force in next couple of years:
D5 kiss. .512 x .8 = .409
Q.E.D. At/Below residual.

That last whack in particular I think increasingly makes buying new a tough sell here, and/or in turn takes a pretty hefty discount to improve the "math" some.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-21-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't that backwards thinking? Paying more now to get some of it (if any) back later? You're paying now to assume unknown risk later... what's the benefit of that exactly?

Originally Posted by zman62
With a 43% residual it should give room at the end to sell the car, pay the residual and pocket some money.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My deal fell through

Came extremely close... Great car.... But terrible dealer.
Jack Daniels Audi..up in Jersey somewhere.

138k MSRP...they were giving it to me for 124k....little below invoice. Took credit card, ran check, approved, finalized lease payments, signed some agreement thing and sent it back.... They even overnighted all paperwork that I was supposed to overnight back..... And in the morning they call me and say that the deal is with off because Audi pulled back some $5k rebate and they can only sell it now if I pay $5k more.

WTF!

2 weeks of my life wasted dealing with these chumps. Just leaves a bad taste with this whole dealer experience thing.

Ordered a facelift ed P90D tesla... Fully loaded with ludicrous. 145k MSRP.
I appreciated the fact that I ordered it online at home with zero negotiations and zero interaction with any A-hole car dealer.

I really tried with the S8 plus... I really did. Yes the new one does not make sense but I was ready and committed.
I am not surprised Tesla is making the inroads it is making.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Desidon

138k MSRP...they were giving it to me for 124k....little below invoice. Took credit card, ran check, approved, finalized lease payments, signed some agreement thing and sent it back.... They even overnighted all paperwork that I was supposed to overnight back..... And in the morning they call me and say that the deal is with off because Audi pulled back some $5k rebate and they can only sell it now if I pay $5k more.

WTF!

2 weeks of my life wasted dealing with these chumps. Just leaves a bad taste with this whole dealer experience thing.

I appreciated the fact that I ordered it online at home with zero negotiations and zero interaction with any A-hole car dealer.

I really tried with the S8 plus... I really did. Yes the new one does not make sense but I was ready and committed.
So, if Audi would let you order the car online and pay full MSRP (like Tesla), you would be happy then?
I don't understand this logic, Tesla though, is laughing all the way to the bank...
Folks are paying happily in full for a car with obviously mediocre demand (you order a specific one and get it in just 2 months).
I got a P90D for a weekend test drive, wanted to like it but in the end did not.
The vaunted acceleration is really shocking but only at first, up to about 60mph, then becomes just average, a gimmick really, since it is possible only with a full charge.
It's like your S8 can offer it's top performance with a full tank only and after a 50 miles or so drives like an A8 3.0.
Also, I would not want to spend too much time with that interior, $140k car with $50k interior.

Last edited by absent; 04-24-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't listen to people that don't have the car. I just got the P90D, and what it offers is beyond just speed. Here is what I wrote in a post just last night below. Interestingly, I had my own issues (mainly misinformation from my local dealer and then their financing) with getting the Model S, but I worked through it.

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Ok. So... Tesla Model S P90D L may only be good for a dozen or so bursts and hit 0 to 60 in around 2.8 seconds. And yes, after that it will get slower... to around 3 seconds. But it is still by far faster than anything that burns gas and has Audi rings. The response time and acceleration is literally sickening. I just got the car yesterday and I now refuse to drive it in any mode other than NORMAL, because anything else literally makes you dizzy. P90D on a low battery will still run circles around S8 and other exotics unless you are well into triple digits.

The battery argument reminds me of the same battery argument that people had for the iPhone. How it could never hold a charge, and how flip phones were still relevant... hell, I see now the rest of the cars as rotary phones.

I know how we are all protective of what we drive, and it is easier to talk crap about the Tesla even though most haven't driven one properly setup or much less own one, but unless you sat in this spaceship called P90D and beat it around for an evening, you really don't know. And if you get low on power, you're back up very quickly with a charge... at a fraction of a cost for gas.

I still burn gas like crazy in my Cayenne Turbo, Boss 302, and the A8 4.0T, but Model S is really on another level. Makes you wonder why we still mess with gas powered vehicles and all of the **** that goes around to make them run.

Model S has no moving parts... just wrap your head around that, the efficiency and the dependability that creates. No engines, no turbos, no rods, no pulleys, no chains, no trannys, not diffs, no hot oils, no internal explosions, no smell, no tanks, no misfires, no tubes, no belts, no pipes, no failures, no leaks, etc... just FREAKISH unbelievable speed.

Oh, and the navigation, music setup, and voice command is second to none. The engines are good for around a MILLION miles (or so they say), and it drives it self and self valets LOL
Originally Posted by Desidon

WTF!

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 04-24-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I own a P90D and disagree on a gimmick comment. The car is fast. Always fast. If you have the right charging you will not be low on power.

The interior is different, but the technology inside (which counts) is light years ahead of Audi and is constantly updated real time. There are options that you won't currently find such as massage / ventilated seats, and forward facing cameras, but other than that it is all that I find missing.

What feels different about the car is what you think it is missing because the car does not need it. Because it has no moving parts. Tesla does not need the heavy material interior to mask the technology that is over a century old (burning gas and oil) like other manufacturers. So interior feels light, and some will mistake it for lacking quality. I'm no tree huger, but I give credit where it is due.

Originally Posted by absent
So, if Audi would let you order the car online and pay full MSRP (like Tesla), you would be happy then?
I don't understand this logic, Tesla though, is laughing all the way to the bank...
Folks are paying happily in full for a car with obviously mediocre demand (you order a specific one and get it in just 2 months).
I got a P90D for a weekend test drive, wanted to like it but in the end did not.
The vaunted acceleration is really shocking but only at first, up to about 60mph, then becomes just average, a gimmick really, since it is possible only with a full charge.
It's like your S8 can offer it's top performance with a full tank only and after a 50 miles or so drives like an A8 3.0.
Also, I would not want to spend too much time with that interior, $140k car with $50k interior.

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 04-24-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

The P90D is a wonderful car despite it's early 2000's Land Rover reliability. At least their service is second to none. I don't know why there's such a split on the two cars, they're both great. The S8 is the more luxurious of the two and the Tesla is quicker, provided you have no plans of tracking the car(last I heard, they make about one lap before the batteries overheat and it goes into limp mode.) Pros and cons for both.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What reliability issues are you referring to exactly? Do you have any experience with Model S reliability? Because no one I know even takes their car to the dealer...

When was the last time you drove one when it went into a limp mode and in what conditions?

I think it is hilarious how the word "track" and "lap" even comes up in conversations on the A8 forum when we are all driving 4,600 lbs boats. Unless you think A8 or S8 is some sort of track specimen talking how a Model S does on a track is sort of irrelevant. But if I had to wager, I bet it still does better before it starts to pull power (whenever that is) due to its insanely low center of gravity. The car really does have a better steering feel, a better turn in, and absolutely no body roll.

Originally Posted by Jack88
The P90D is a wonderful car despite it's early 2000's Land Rover reliability. At least their service is second to none. I don't know why there's such a split on the two cars, they're both great. The S8 is the more luxurious of the two and the Tesla is quicker, provided you have no plans of tracking the car(last I heard, they make about one lap before the batteries overheat and it goes into limp mode.) Pros and cons for both.

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 04-24-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by absent
Mine is a lease situation. I maybe paying full MSRP but Tesla has jacked up residuals on the back that make my lease payments $200 lower than the "awesome" Audi deal I was getting in Jersey. Add to that whatever gas vs electric monthly fuel bill savings.
So it is cheaper for me with the Tesla quite honestly and a "better deal" commercially for a higher MSRP car.

These are both very different cars and my first choice was the S8 plus which I like a lot. This is not about car performance vs luxury vs technology vs gas vs electricity...both are different cars and very good in their own right.

I am going by pure personal buying experience and economics of the deal and the P90D has S8plus beat there based on my statistically irrelevant experience.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
What reliability issues are you referring to exactly?.
Unfortunately, this thread has transgressed several miles off topic, but if we have to address reliability and Tesla in the same sentence, then see below. It's a good car and if we all live long enough, we'll all be driving electric vehicles I suppose. But for now, owning one involves having to live with some early adopter issues. Good news is that Tesla customer and vehicle service appear to be very, very good, but you have to be willing to invest some potential servicing time with the dealer---not unlike earlier Audi models in my experience. I would actually consider Tesla, but for the occasional highway traffic "nightmare" that stretches my normal 2 and half hour (each way) weekend commutes on the Long Island Expressway to 3 to 4 hours in bumper to bumper traffic---which would exponentially drive my fear of battery run down into the stratosphere...Not my cup of tea.

From CR (Oct 2015)

Tesla Reliability Doesn’t Match Its High Performance
Latest Consumer Reports auto survey finds that the Model S has too many problems to recommend

By Mark Rechtin
Last updated: October 20, 2015

Tesla Motors’ all-electric Model S sedan got high marks in Consumer Reports’ 50-plus tests involving driving dynamics and livability, and it consumed energy at the electric equivalent of 84 miles per gallon (87 MPGe in the P85D trim). It’s the best-performing car we’ve ever tested.

But its predicted reliability is another matter.

As part of our Annual Auto Reliability Survey, we received about 1,400 survey responses from Model S owners who chronicled an array of detailed and complicated maladies. From that data we forecast that owning that Tesla is likely to involve a worse-than-average overall problem rate. That’s a step down from last year’s “average” prediction for the Model S. It also means the Model S does not receive Consumer Reports’ recommended designation. (To be recommended, a vehicle has to meet stringent testing, reliability, and safety standards, including having average or better predicted reliability.)

The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks.

Specific areas that scored worse on the 2015 model, compared with the 2014 model in last year’s survey, were the climate control, steering, and suspension systems. Complaints about the drive system have also increased as the cars have aged—specifically for the 2013 model, which was the car’s first full model year. (See more details on the Tesla Model S model page.)
But those problems mostly still fall under Tesla’s four-year/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (and eight-year/unlimited mileage battery and drivetrain warranty), so they are generally being corrected at no cost to owners.

Quick Reply: Deals on a new s8 plus