A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deals on a new s8 plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I saw those as well. Some of these issues go back and have since been addressed. The way I look at reliability is how many people I know have problems with their cars. Many Tesla owners I know do not talk about dealership visits or car issues like we do. There are no TSBs flying around to figure out what issues need to be fixed. Have you noticed that much of the forum activity is discussing our car problems?

I take the ownership experience I witness today from Tesla owners over what the articles have written about the early models. I hope that my P90D is as reliable as my friends' which would make it far more reliable than my A8.

But you are correct, this thread is about S8 and we will eave it at that. For what it is worth, I'd love to have an S8 over my A8.

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Unfortunately, this thread has transgressed several miles off topic, but if we have to address reliability and Tesla in the same sentence, then see below. It's a good car and if we all live long enough, we'll all be driving electric vehicles I suppose. But for now, owning one involves having to live with some early adopter issues. Good news is that Tesla customer and vehicle service appear to be very, very good, but you have to be willing to invest some potential servicing time with the dealer---not unlike earlier Audi models in my experience. I would actually consider Tesla, but for the occasional highway traffic "nightmare" that stretches my normal 2 and half hour (each way) weekend commutes on the Long Island Expressway to 3 to 4 hours in bumper to bumper traffic---which would exponentially drive my fear of battery run down into the stratosphere...Not my cup of tea.

From CR (Oct 2015)

Tesla Reliability Doesn’t Match Its High Performance
Latest Consumer Reports auto survey finds that the Model S has too many problems to recommend

By Mark Rechtin
Last updated: October 20, 2015

Tesla Motors’ all-electric Model S sedan got high marks in Consumer Reports’ 50-plus tests involving driving dynamics and livability, and it consumed energy at the electric equivalent of 84 miles per gallon (87 MPGe in the P85D trim). It’s the best-performing car we’ve ever tested.

But its predicted reliability is another matter.

As part of our Annual Auto Reliability Survey, we received about 1,400 survey responses from Model S owners who chronicled an array of detailed and complicated maladies. From that data we forecast that owning that Tesla is likely to involve a worse-than-average overall problem rate. That’s a step down from last year’s “average” prediction for the Model S. It also means the Model S does not receive Consumer Reports’ recommended designation. (To be recommended, a vehicle has to meet stringent testing, reliability, and safety standards, including having average or better predicted reliability.)

The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks.

Specific areas that scored worse on the 2015 model, compared with the 2014 model in last year’s survey, were the climate control, steering, and suspension systems. Complaints about the drive system have also increased as the cars have aged—specifically for the 2013 model, which was the car’s first full model year. (See more details on the Tesla Model S model page.)
But those problems mostly still fall under Tesla’s four-year/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (and eight-year/unlimited mileage battery and drivetrain warranty), so they are generally being corrected at no cost to owners.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Just got this one in at work today. Glacier White with Black interior and Arras Red stiching. Dynamic package, black optic package, cold weather package, driver's assistance package, night vision, and Bang and Olufsen.

Last edited by SYMAWD; 04-25-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My wallet hurts just looking at that sticker...It'll be another decade or two before I can look at these new without wincing.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
My wallet hurts just looking at that sticker...It'll be another decade or two before I can look at these new without wincing.
FWIW, I have a hunch most of them will end up w/ out the performance package or the exterior trim package and be back to "regular" S8 pricing which didn't otherwise change except the incentives basically vanished. After the handful of enthusiasts who have to have it pass, it will be back to the "regular" S8 market. May already be shifting, and I bet dealers sort of get saddled with a bunch of over optioned ones that don't match market given multmonth order lead times. They only got the first orders in last month, and those in turn were many months late compared to Audi's announced approx. 1/1 availability. I think the "normal" config. means even things like no B&O on more than a few, let alone the almost $20K on the new to S8 couple of priciest add on option packages. You get the performance bump at the same price as 2015's or pre-plus 2016's. Then figure 30% less in 18 months, low miles, CPO. And down from there, especially when D5 announce gets close and then happens. Will be a good time to be a used buyer and will break even the 30% down metric. I'll guess 40%+. S's hold value somewhat more than their next step down "A" counterparts (and R's yet better if available in a model). But never pretty at end of life of a model run. W12's will always be the max. bath on D bodies as both a percentage and in $, and in turn well priced later on used. W12 may get further buried by this too (too bad), since w/ the extra packages S8 pricing sort of ties or even exceeds W12 pricing.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-25-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I saw a similar sticker last Sunday during a visit to the Audi dealer's lot. Over $150,000. It had a good affect on me--i was suffering from a weird compulsion to buy a car even though I didn't really want to--but I'm ok now.

It was actually funny; I was searching for a S6 to get a look at the interior, and I notice an S model across the lot, and I'm thinking "is that an S4 or S6", and it turns out to be a 150k S8. Woke me up!

I'll follow MP4's advice and wait a few years for an S8 lease return. My visit did confirm that the S8 interior is such a quantum leap over the lesser S's and I have come to value the luxurious interior.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
I saw a similar sticker last Sunday during a visit to the Audi dealer's lot. Over $150,000. It had a good affect on me--i was suffering from a weird compulsion to buy a car even though I didn't really want to--but I'm ok now.

It was actually funny; I was searching for a S6 to get a look at the interior, and I notice an S model across the lot, and I'm thinking "is that an S4 or S6", and it turns out to be a 150k S8. Woke me up!

I'll follow MP4's advice and wait a few years for an S8 lease return. My visit did confirm that the S8 interior is such a quantum leap over the lesser S's and I have come to value the luxurious interior.
Totally agree about the interior. I was recently looking at buying an S6 but where the interior looked nice in pics, in person it was no where close to the S8. Of course I didn't want to pay S8 prices and I wanted a large rear seat so I went for the A8L 4.0T so I got most of the way there...
Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interior is more important to me then mileage or being able to blow other cars 0-60.
I spend almost 1/4 of my life in a car and I am not interested in environment bare bone like is some cars, electric in particular.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Or, choice C...as in to me these are not apples to apples. 2015 S8 non plus, less than 10K miles CPO, low $90K's loaded. Just need look for it. That's your comparo I think to the AMG (new vs. used), and S8 still takes it. Mercedes Benz S63 AMG v Audi S8: Drag Race - YouTube I said 2015 to get to post facelift. 2016 pre-plus for that matter if findable yet.
You are way to logical man. Went with with the S63, $171k MSRP, 8K miles for $120K. There's no question the S8 wins in a drag race, but there's something special about the S63. Different type of experience for sure.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what's the insurance on the S8?
what state/county?

thx
Old 05-05-2016, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason Statham drives an Audi, not a Tesla.....nuff said

Quick Reply: Deals on a new s8 plus