A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need new brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Backtrack to the Bosch pad info and see what the compound is. If it is a ceramic, that is a likely answer. Some ceramics have a very slippery feel, which then translates to more force needed. Others are better, but it varies by brand.

D4's use separate sensors now; not like the prior generations of C and D bodies. I prefer the in pad ones.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-17-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What TYPE pads are the OEM? Ceramic? Semi metallic? Else?
What BRAND are the OEM pads?
Old 10-17-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Bosch brake pads

Bosch replacement pads:

Front: BE1549H
F 03B 176 108 H9L
Semi Metallic

Rear: BE1547H
F 03B 176 073 - H9L
Semi Metallic
Old 10-17-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OEM pads part numbers

Don't know who makes the OEM ones, or if they are semi metallic or ceramic.

Front:
4G0-698-151-F

Rear:
4H0-698-451-A
Old 10-17-2016, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So bottom line, I'm afraid you went with what seems like a bargain pad, and sounds like you got a not surprising result. That's what it looks like anyway when i type in pad part number. Frankly I think of Bosch as kind of a no name for this sort of thing. Obviously a premier electrical and electronics supplier, but not for brakes in my mind.

Once you know you have the brakes bled as you say preemptively from your earlier post, it's pretty much that or pads if system is functioning mechanically and hydraulically correctly. You can try some concerted bedding to see if anything improves, but that's about it. I go w/ either OE pads or a top drawer aftermarket pad with a satisfied customer following specific to the make. No other magic potion here. If I were on a tighter budget, I would at least try to be with a brand more known for brakes--Ate and many others, some domestic.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-17-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
bargain pad, and sounds like you got a not surprising result
Does someone have first hand (or 2nd hand from source) experience with Bosch pads in this application?

I have used Bosch pads in the past, no negative there.
Reading up feedback on the bosch is positive (but not necessarily this application).

That is why I want to hear from Bosch users to report their experience (to substantiate or disproof 'assumptions and opinions').

Could well be that Bosch gets their pads from the OEM supplier.

BTW: who IS the OEM supplier????
Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Does someone have first hand (or 2nd hand from source) experience with Bosch pads in this application?

I have used Bosch pads in the past, no negative there.
Reading up feedback on the bosch is positive (but not necessarily this application).

That is why I want to hear from Bosch users to report their experience (to substantiate or disproof 'assumptions and opinions').

Could well be that Bosch gets their pads from the OEM supplier.

BTW: who IS the OEM supplier????
OEM suppliers vary a lot, and Audi these days seems to keep them under wraps as far as marking. Guesses can be TRW, Textar and Brembo in front. But without someone finding markings on pads or inside info, won't be easily figured out...regardless of all caps or lots of exclamation points...

The set up at 380mm is also shared with SQ5 so you can see if anything is to be found out there. But again, SQ5's are new enough that not much hands on knowledge there--they don't even seem to know about the front rotor design in general. I often point them over to this board (or the D4 application) in turn. The later D4 400mm set up has similar rotors but higher end calipers. If manufacturer of caliper happens to be Brembo, you may an answer/guess of shared pads from what i have seen w/ OE Brembo set ups in past, but then in next breath I think standard pads on oft commodity Ate components are probably not Ate's.

I guess you have your own beliefs/information from your reply. But sure, see what you can find out here or with the other leads suggestions. Not many DIY wrenchers so far on D4 board, though starting to change. I would guess Bosch pads are private labeled in turn from some other supplier. Many others are in that business besides whoever the OES is, and with price, compound and manufacturing location probably all over the map. Your box (or pads) should have had country of origin markings BTW, so that can at least be a starting clue. Meantime, they either feel right and work to your liking, or they don't. I thought you posted your own answer already about that. Other than bedding for maybe some marginal improvement, the brake system isn't going to change magically. Been through this before on my C5, with variously a set of pads (Ate) and set of different rotors (DBA 4000) that didn't work out and ultimately got pulled way before they wore out.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-17-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always buy at dealer? I wouldn't think they would be as outrageously over priced as some of the other parts?
I haven had to price them yet do in guessing.
Although I can't see anything that troublesome with Bosch. My nest pads will be ceramic though to keep dust down
Old 10-17-2016, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Saw your post on QW too (which is dead for D4's pretty much). I remembered you said you (only bled) fronts. You should be bleeding all four wheels. Also called for every two years for brake fluid maintenance anyway. Wheels are tied at diagonal from master cylinder too, and air anywhere can hurt feel. A cup also sounds like sort of a minimal bleed amount, but probably fits not doing rears with their longer tubing runs. I go through most of a quart/liter can doing all four. Hopefully you are also using a power bleeder, or the old two person open close manual technique. I couldn't be sure from post. Just leaving beed screw open while pumping single person without a power bleeder is not going to be air free, in case that is another possible contributor.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-17-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Garycw
You could always buy at dealer? I wouldn't think they would be as outrageously over priced as some of the other parts?
I haven had to price them yet do in guessing.
Although I can't see anything that troublesome with Bosch. My nest pads will be ceramic though to keep dust down
They ARE outrageous. I have seen OEM for over $200 and that was NOT even from the dealer, but cheap mail order.

Still in search for manufacturer of OEM pads.

Pretty sure OEM is semi metallic (and nice black dust).
Ceramic less dust, but supposedly somewhat less stopping power (there is a trade off IIRC).

Quick Reply: Do I need new brake rotors?