A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum. Looking at getting into a new daily driver. I've test driven the A8L 4.0 and the S7. I've found that optioned up, the S7 "with the interior exclusive package" is in the same ballpark as the A8. I realize they are different vehicles and was wondering if anyone cross shopped the two. I like the exterior of the S7, the sound and I thought it drove a little better than the A8 which was a bit more floaty. The A8 wins the interior contest hands down and definitely more comfortable. The example I drove was NOT equipped with the sports package (steering and diff I believe). My fiancée is leaning towards the A8 but is fine with the S as long as it's glacier white. My dad wants me to look at the S class but that's another comparison all to ether.

We're working with a friend/Audi manager who is helping us with the order. He gave me the following exercise: think of a long bad day at work, you're walking out with the key fob in your pocket. You head to your car and grab the door handle. What do you see?

I'm so torn! I don't think I can go wrong with either car. I know both are due for an overhaul as well. some of the must have options in either are: glacier white paint, upgraded audio system to the B&O, executive interior package in the 7 with Valcona brown with comfort seats and brown interior in the 8 +/- one of the Audi design selection packages.

Thanks a lot for any input you can give!

Cheers!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

They are two very different cars. I have both a '14 RS7 and a '15 A8L 4.0 TT. If comfort is a priority, then the A8 wins hands down. The S7 is a smaller car, handles better in the city, and with sport tuned suspension, gives the occupants a harsher ride. Speed-wise, it is a wash. The A8 for me, is better suited for a daily driver and since, I live in the northeast, don't have to swap for winter tires.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in norther Minnesota. We've to budget for winter tires for all our cars. I drive down the road in my little c7 stingray on snows and people look at me like I shot their dog :-)))

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The S7 seems to have a better resale by about 10k or so over the A8. The lease rate is less by $200 on the S7 because of it.

Also remember that S7 rear seat is just a 2 seater vs 3 seater for the A8. However, the S7 is one of the best looking cars on the market now.

If I was buying new it would be a tough choice, but I need the backseat of the A8.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I promise you that when the A8L suspension is set to DYNAMIC the car loses that "floaty" feeling it may have in COMFORT mode, and is very stable and planted at speed. I always set the suspension to DYNAMIC when on the highway, and there is absolutely no floaty feeling at 75+ mph. The S7 will always feel flatter and more firm vs. the A8, and the overall wheelbase/length variance between the two generate different handling characteristics....But for a daily driver, it's the A8 all the way IMO. And yes, the rear sport differential and dynamic steering do add to the handling characteristics of the A8L.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Listen to your fiance. And not just on this :-)

As you are posting this on a A8/S8 forum I'm guessing you knew you were going to get these answers.

While I drive a S8, I have to believe the A8 with the sport suspension is gonna be pretty close. The one thing I'm not sure about is the SWB versus the LWB thing. I know there are people that say the LWB car is fine with the sport suspension, I just don't know how it would compare to the S7.

Is it safe to assume you've ruled out the S8?

Assuming you say no due to cost, have you considered a CPO 15?

Glacier White on the 8 is an incredible color.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the same dilemma shopping a couple years ago, and I could not turn down the fabulous massaging seats in the A8 I had bought. The old barge handles the corners better than smaller cars I've driven, you'd have to be a professional in an S7 to lose me. So, if you are looking for a comfortable daily driver which can also be fast, buy an A8 and make sure to get the upgraded seats and adaptive cruise. If you want a sports car that can be a comfortable daily driver, get the S7.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LeicaNut
They are two very different cars. I have both a '14 RS7 and a '15 A8L 4.0 TT. If comfort is a priority, then the A8 wins hands down. The S7 is a smaller car, handles better in the city, and with sport tuned suspension, gives the occupants a harsher ride. Speed-wise, it is a wash. The A8 for me, is better suited for a daily driver and since, I live in the northeast, don't have to swap for winter tires.
Leica-Nut I see you moved from the S550 into the A8. How did the two compare?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry I just saw the multi quote button.

Originally Posted by OhNoMrBill
The S7 seems to have a better resale by about 10k or so over the A8. The lease rate is less by $200 on the S7 because of it.

Also remember that S7 rear seat is just a 2 seater vs 3 seater for the A8. However, the S7 is one of the best looking cars on the market now.

If I was buying new it would be a tough choice, but I need the backseat of the A8.
It is very tough. Right now there's just two of us but in a couple of years I'm suspecting I'll be shopping for car seats for a little human creature thing. My head tells me go for the A8. The S7 was nicer to drive!

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I promise you that when the A8L suspension is set to DYNAMIC the car loses that "floaty" feeling it may have in COMFORT mode, and is very stable and planted at speed. I always set the suspension to DYNAMIC when on the highway, and there is absolutely no floaty feeling at 75+ mph. The S7 will always feel flatter and more firm vs. the A8, and the overall wheelbase/length variance between the two generate different handling characteristics....But for a daily driver, it's the A8 all the way IMO. And yes, the rear sport differential and dynamic steering do add to the handling characteristics of the A8L.
True. And I have a c7 corvette for twisty roads and track days.

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Listen to your fiance. And not just on this :-)

As you are posting this on a A8/S8 forum I'm guessing you knew you were going to get these answers.

While I drive a S8, I have to believe the A8 with the sport suspension is gonna be pretty close. The one thing I'm not sure about is the SWB versus the LWB thing. I know there are people that say the LWB car is fine with the sport suspension, I just don't know how it would compare to the S7.

Is it safe to assume you've ruled out the S8?

Assuming you say no due to cost, have you considered a CPO 15?

Glacier White on the 8 is an incredible color.
Ha! I did post on the S7 forum to mitigate sampling bias :-) A new S8 would be out of my proce range and I haven't looked at CPOs yet. I know these cars depreciate like crazy but there is currently only one glacier white '15 S8 on cars.com.

Originally Posted by Jack88
I had the same dilemma shopping a couple years ago, and I could not turn down the fabulous massaging seats in the A8 I had bought. The old barge handles the corners better than smaller cars I've driven, you'd have to be a professional in an S7 to lose me. So, if you are looking for a comfortable daily driver which can also be fast, buy an A8 and make sure to get the upgraded seats and adaptive cruise. If you want a sports car that can be a comfortable daily driver, get the S7.
Yeah. Maybe I oughta go back and drive them back to back this time. I had driven them about a month apart. Can you tell I take my time researching a car before I pull the trigger? The lady is just about ready to kill me if I show her another car video/article before bed.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just my 2cents and maybe a nickel more. I went from a new 2004 Audi a8l ran it to 160,000 and purchased a new 2012 A6 Prestige. I was shocked at how nice the a6 was over the older a8. Techology with side warning,brake gard and adaptive cruise and the apr tune put it in a different world. I just purchased a 2015 S8 and had toyed with another 2016 A8L or a 2015 RS7. almost pulled the trigger on the rs7 but it really is just a hot-rodded version of the A7,A6 I would have the same interior and I was kind of over that. My decision on the S8 was similar I kind of like the 2014 Style S8 but the kids told me to go with the facelift and now am I glad I did. The a8 s8 interiors just offer so much more, and the slightly larger frontal area is more comfortable for me.

I hate that I lost the underseat storage the a6 a7 offer