A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess not a good start to new year...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default I guess not a good start to new year...

...Not nearly as serious as Ravill's body damage, but my month old A8L took a friggin' rock on the Long Island Expressway on my way back into NYC this afternoon. At first I thought it only hit the windshield (4 deep scrapes in the glass)...But NOOOO! Damn rock first hit the hood and damaged the paint and left a ding. Never fails, virtually every time I wax/detail my cars, something like this happens---that'll teach me. ARRRGGG!!!😤.

Hard to see the damage due to the SHINEY detailing 😖
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not washing or waxing mine for awhile just to be safe...
Old 01-04-2015, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to see that. But the paint around it still looks gorgeous.

Time for some touch up paint?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by motegi
Sorry to see that. But the paint around it still looks gorgeous.

Time for some touch up paint?
I wish...its dented. Needs to go to body shop.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ack!!

Hopefully you won't need any parts replaced and any aluminum (porsche, Lambo, tesla etc...) will be able to help you fix that.

If you need parts, only "audi certified" body shops are "allowed" to buy audi parts.

I wonder if a clear bra would have helped mitigate the damage? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a clear bra for my S8 when I get it back. I just hope it won't cost $3k like on other cars I've clear bra'd before.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Fred, I can't tell what the paint damage looks like, but the Dent Doctor guys would take car of the depression in no time at all.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Fred, I can't tell what the paint damage looks like, but the Dent Doctor guys would take car of the depression in no time at all.
Hopefully the dent is a relatively easy fix, as long as they can get to it from underneath. If any hood support structure is under it, then it'll have to be a normal "pull & fill" job --- either way the entire hood will have to be prepped to remove the ceramic glass coating that was just applied, and it will have to be entirely re-painted. All this for an inch and a quarter hit, damn. Also, they'll have to buff out the sharp edges of the windshield impact that happened on the stone's rebound.

Ahhh, I was going to make a service appointment anyway, since the MMI decided to close down the screen every 30 to 40 minutes on the same drive yesterday---guess it was an omen of things to come on that trip.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rock hit damage repaired...Picking up the A8 tomorrow

A couple of pics of the hood repair just e-mailed by the repair facility. Pics look good...tomorrow afternoon I'll see it "in the flesh." Then back into the city on the LIE...hoping/praying for no more kicked up stones/rocks!!!
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

And how many thousand $$?!! 😄
Old 01-19-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
Ack!!

Hopefully you won't need any parts replaced and any aluminum (porsche, Lambo, tesla etc...) will be able to help you fix that.

If you need parts, only "audi certified" body shops are "allowed" to buy audi parts.

I wonder if a clear bra would have helped mitigate the damage? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a clear bra for my S8 when I get it back. I just hope it won't cost $3k like on other cars I've clear bra'd before.
I had the Xpel Ultimate kit installed before delivery which was about $2400 for the hood, front valance, mirrors, front A-pillars, rear quarter panel aft of wheel well, rear bumper step, and headlights. it has worked very well so far for small stones, highway debris, bugs, etc. But not for the idiot parking attendant who laid a cigarette on the rear bumper step! Fortunately the burn is small and only in the Xpel film. And I doubt it would stand up to whatever hit derfA8L

Quick Reply: I guess not a good start to new year...