A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving your driving experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving your driving experience?

Hello Audi A8 drivers! I'm currently working on a study project where I'm trying to improve the driving experience in a high-end luxury car like the A8. And to improve driving experiences I need to know something about you, the drivers! I'm researching the current situation, especially the interaction with the infotainment system and the current assistent where you can talk to and receive information from. And the little details that make or break the experience of driving this amazing car. My goal is to design a smart (voice based) assistant that can help you get things done and help you in difficult situations. Something like Siri or Google Now if you're not familiar with such assistants.

If you'd like to answer some of the following questions, you'll be my hero of today and I'm very grateful!

- What's your age?
- What do you do for a living / what did you do?

- How often do you use your car on a weekly basis and what for?
- Where are you driving to with the A8? In what situations? With your family? On vacation? To your job? And what's the most often destination?

- Are you a frequent user of the infotainment system?
- What functions do you use the most on the infotainment system?
- What do you like about it, what not and why?
- Are you having difficulties interacting with the infotainment system? What do you do to try solve the problems?
- If you get a text message from someone, how do you access the content? Do you reply? If so, in what way? Do you think that way is safe and easy?
- How often do you give voice commands to the system to get things done instead of using the infotainment system via buttons? Do you think that's a nicer way to interact with the system?

- In what ways can you imagine a smart (voice based) assistant helping you get things done? What do you expect from a smart assistant in a luxury car like the A8?
- How would you like the smart assistant to talk to you? In what tone of voice? And why in that way?

If you have anything to add, be my guest!

Very much appreciated,
Dylan
Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I'm 26 and I use the A8 to get to work everyday. I do like the voice functions, I use it mostly for phone calls. Voice commands for the radio wouldn't be any faster or easier than the buttons on the steering wheel or center console.

The area where I would like to see it improved in the A8 would be the commands required. People like to use Siri because you can use plain English when giving commands as opposed to requiring you to use the narrowly defined existing ones.

It may be a feature already existing, but being able to use simple voice commands to program reminders for later would be handy for some. I could see it being useful if I could use a voice command to set a reminder while driving. By the time I stop, I may either forget to set the reminder or be too busy to. If it could be synced with the phone so the two devices could share information, even better.

As far as how it sounds, the first person to get Morgan Freeman's voice on a device as assistant or navigation will make a lot of people happy. His voice is the perfect combination of soothing and wise. That said, Siri is a good standard to go by.