A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got an A8 and have some questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got an A8 and have some questions :)

Hi there, I recently picked up a CPO 2013 A8L. Overall I love the car and it drives really nice. I had an A6 prior to that and this is definitely a nice step up. Love the massage in both front seats, as does my wife and daughters

Anyway, a few questions that I am hoping someone on here can help me with.

1). I responded in another thread on this but braking, especially when the speeds starts dropping just doesn't appear to be smooth. At first I thought it was the brakes but now I think it might be the way the car down shifts and it's just too abrupt. Don't have that issue in our Q7.

2). The auto engine shutoff seems to be hit and miss. Sometimes I press the brake and I get the white A icon with a line through it. Other times the engine shuts off (green A sign with a circle on the dash) but after about 15 seconds the car just starts again, even though my foot is still firmly on the brake. Anyone else have these problems? Not sure why sometimes it just refuses to stop the engine. Audi have said it depends on the A/C and how hard it's having to work. Is that correct?

3). I do notice a squeaking noise when I back out the driveway in the mornings when I have to tap the breaks. Have heard it a few other times when I am going very slow and tap the brakes. Not sure what that is all about really.

4). The navigation system is more up to date than my A6 one was (had a 2008 A6) and it is certainly nicer. One thing that really bugs me though is if I turn the big know to zoom in (to say 1/4 mile) it will still on that scale for maybe 5 seconds and then it shoots back to 2 mile scale. How can I get it to just stay at whatever scale I turn it to? Is there a way?

5). Playing audio books through bluetooth is great. Love it. However, when I exit the car and get back in it always seems to restart the chapter from the beginning and does not remember where I was. Quite annoying since I then have to re-find where I was. I rent cars for business trips on a frequent basis and cars like Fords don't have this problem at all. Again, is this just the way the MMI works?

6). What version should my MMI be?

TIA.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome the A8 and the forum !

2) Yes

3) Sounds like control arm bushings, usually does it only after sitting overnight or all day

4) Are you doing this while a destination is set or just normal driving ?

5) Probably, but could be related to the MMI version

6) Couple recent-ish threads on this. Good luck getting them to update it - varies by dealer.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome,

On point 4 if you go to settings and select 3d mode then the zoom should stay.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
6) Couple recent-ish threads on this. Good luck getting them to update it - varies by dealer.
I've asked myself and searched -- never a straight answer.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by needles
I've asked myself and searched -- never a straight answer.
The C7 guys seem to be more up to date and have lots of info in that forum.
I think due to the sheer volume of them and higher interest than we usually have...
Old 11-02-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tried the auto engine off while the AC was turned off, was still hit and miss. I just don't get how this is supposed to work!

4). I am doing this while normal driving, no destination set, just driving around.

I have also noticed that my jukebox does not stay in random play if I switch from Jukebox to iPod and back. Seems like this car has an issue with remembering things
Old 11-02-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

If it is a CPO car, surely the dealer can show you how to set it up as you prefer.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dave-S4FL
4). I am doing this while normal driving, no destination set, just driving around.
I found the same thing unless you select position 3D, no idea why. I prefer the map in 3D as it seems more natural to follow, the scale should not change unless you are navigating to a destination and using auto zoom (I think that's what the menu says) and you get to a junction, after it should revert back to the scale you last set.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by synchrocnc
I found the same thing unless you select position 3D
Excellent point - I forgot there was a mode other than 3D...

Discovered recently if you manually zoom while in 3D or have it display destination on map, using SDS and saying "Display 3D map" will put it back.
Way too fiddly to work with while driving since I can never recall all the options.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave-S4FL
Tried the auto engine off while the AC was turned off, was still hit and miss. I just don't get how this is supposed to work!

(
I have a Q5 with auto on/off that behaves the same way. My understanding (can't remember where I read it) is that the on/off systems behave according to an algorithm that weighs a variety of factors such as engine temperature, A/C, interior temperature, etc. The result is that it becomes difficult to pin down the reasons why it stops and it starts when it does. It appears to have a mind of its own. But trust the system -- it's grounded in math! Or so I've heard!

Quick Reply: Just got an A8 and have some questions :)