A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miles between oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I agree. I purchased it for piece of mind. Just kind of disappointed the plan was misrepresented. Like the need for 5k oil changes, just found out they cover brake pads but not rotors, and who knows what else is excluded. It's not a big deal just the typical dealer sales tactics I guess. I have used yelp and found multiple German car specialty shops with ratings far better then any Audi dealer in my area. The problem that can arise is if something got messed up they would deny the cpo coverage.
Note that Audi Care is time OR miles and the program specifies a given number of service intervals. It is still a good bargain considering the cost of a normal service done by the dealer. I just had the 35k service performed even though I only had 20k on the vehicle. So, included was changing the spark plugs at no additional cost. I can only imagine how much that service would cost ala carte! My total out of pocket expenses for service in the past 44 months has been zilch and for those of us who received Audi Care as part of the original purchase price, the benefits are obvious. And as has been pointed out by others, no quibbles if something goes wrong during the warranty period.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently used up my Audi Care Plus and for that reason went looking for independent Audi mechanics in my area of Maryland. I found 4 and had visited and spoken to 2 of them. The two, after asking for general advice on my 2012 A8L (4.2L V8) told me to change the oil every 5000 miles for engine internals longevity. Each had been independent for over 20 years. I plan to follow their advice.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In general I have found that high quality synthetic oil is capable of going 10k - 15k miles but oil filters in general do not do so well. This can lead unwanted carbon or varnesh buildup.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Hmmm. On last two replies, from owning A8's and 4.2's, I am comfortable running those out to the longer intervals. It's more on the turbos (like either 2.0T or 4.0T) where I would have more questions. Audis have had good after run systems and water cooled turbo bearings for many years, but a key concern historically has been coking (aka cooking) the oil at the turbo bearing if car is shut down too fast after spirited drive. Audi has engineered for that, which is good. But normally aspirated motors like 4.2 don't have those kinds of worries. As far as internals, yes varnish or sludge type build up can happen as drain cycles extend, though Audi 502/505 and generally synthetic specs tend to mitigate. Carbon issues are much more fuel side or PCV valve set up related, and amplified with FSI on al the newer Audi gas motors used with Q5 and others. To me those risks would have little to do with oil change intervals. On a Q5, unfortunately a 3.2 may be near ground zero on carbon fouling, but even there not clear to me oil changes would affect it much--more the head design issues, probably PCV set up, (first generation) use of FSI, and the like.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-24-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just called spoke to a rep a Blackstone. I have used them in the past. He said most people were doing their OCI with the 3.0T engine at 6K miles. I think I am going to follow this pattern.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Smile If you don't have profound knowledge....

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I just called spoke to a rep a Blackstone. I have used them in the past. He said most people were doing their OCI with the 3.0T engine at 6K miles. I think I am going to follow this pattern.
Paraphrased from Deming IIRC.
Anyway, go ahead and use the 6K/1yr change interval with synthetic oils only!! unless your Blackstone or other Oil Analysis Program (Amsoil also has one, I use a NJ lab) indicates excessive wear metals or carbon or other materials after 6K. Unfortunately, you're going to have to extend your OCI beyond 6K to find out if you're actually building up contaminants or just wasting your time and oil changing oil too soon. Every engine is a little different.

Fair disclosure, I'm a Lifetime Amsoil Dealer and I prefer Amsoil products, except for my E46 M3....I use Castrol SynTec 10W-60? or whatever BMW recommends. If Amsoil ever develops a synthetic with that range I'll use it, but until then, the Castrol at one year or 8-10K depending on how much I drive has worked well for over 14 years.

I've used Amsoil on turbocharged Saabs and Volvos and they work out well for 10K or longer. One car had an Amsoil bypass oil filter and I hardly ever changed oil...just changed the full flow filter once a year and the bypass oil filter every couple of years if the oil flow (visible from where the return emptied into the oil filler neck) was noticeably low. The oil analyses all came back clean with recommendations to continue using the oil. I dropped back to 10K oil changes on one car because of carbon buildup indicative of dispersant additive depletion (if not overfueling/overboost, heh heh) at 15K miles, mostly highway driving.

FWIW, the Army doesn't change oil anymore on a scheduled basis...for diesel engines and turbine tanks and most engines...unless they have a reason to do so, like a contaminated work environment, blown air cleaner system, or a bad Army Oil Analysis Program (AOAP) report. They just take a two oz oil sample on a regular basis and send it to the AOAP lab that will then tell them to change oil if the oil is contaminate or additives are too depleted.