A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on purchasing 2011-2014 A8...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldn't classify the 4.0 as unpredictable, but it does deliver power in a manner typical to any modern turbo car. It would take a little getting used to, since you can no longer rely on knowledge like what gear and rpm you are at to gauge the throttle response you will get from a given throttle input. Now you need to take into account whether or not the turbos are spooled up.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Very predictable to me actually--push hard and blast off. Now.

Honestly though, also very responsive and reasonably linear for everyday use. It's when you lean way into it that power sort of goes exponential. Also, if you are trying to out smart it and use manual mode, it can bog until it finally overrides, kicks the gear down and goes rocket mode. To me theater's more operation error if I do it. I think at least in S8 either S mode or the dynamic individual modes can get it touchy too. Just in regular D and not jacked up mode wise is fairly tame (for a 500HP+ ride) and easily driven until you work gas pedal meaningfully. Not that different a feel to my D3 W12 actually--which has way more torque a lot lower down than a 4.2. Both are quick response, w/ W12 instant while D4 S8 has unmistakable full on afterburners that you can light on demand.

Very little lag to me compared to many turbo's I have driven. Remember the turbos are in the V intentionally to keep the paths short. Few turbo's out there that most have probably driven are set up like that. This has short feet of tubing/passages, the Mini S we had seemed like multiple yards when traced underhood. And there it was one-one thousand, two...light off (and torque steer galore).

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-04-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, you should also take into consideration that there are barely any mods for D4 4.2 V8's. Most engine/exhaust/etc are accessible to 4.0T and S8 variants. But this shouldn't be a cause of concern since the 4.2 has plenty of punch.

Btw, if you're looking for the
Massages seats - (it's a button right next to the seat adjustment controls)
Adaptive Cruise Control - (they are the round 'fog light looking' sensors in the bumper, below the headlights. A8's without them only come with standard cruise control)
Heated/Cooled Seats - (two buttons located on the center panel between you and your passenger, however the cooled seats are not as effective since the push air out than sucking the warm air in)

The back seats do not have massage seats unless you have a car with the executive seating pkg + the option for it.

I recommend buying a car with the 3 options above for max resale value as these cars are depreciating like crazy
Old 12-05-2016, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with your options recommendation, but while it'll help later resale, it also means he'll pay even more now, so it's still a net loss, in general. However, it's still not significant next to the cost of the car. Also, the massage is bundled with the cooled front seats, they are the same option. I would add to the list the rear seat comfort package, reclining rear seats in the A8L is an absolute delight. When I had mine, I let my friends drive from time to time just so I could enjoy them. Just plain nice.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
I would add to the list the rear seat comfort package, reclining rear seats in the A8L is an absolute delight. When I had mine, I let my friends drive from time to time just so I could enjoy them. Just plain nice.
+1 Sometimes I head to the garage at night and just ease myself into the rear cabin and stretch out with the seat set to the lounge position and listen to some jazz---Verrry relaxing. I've said it before, but damn, I really have to get me a part-time driver for those times I just want to relax in the rear cabin and not drive ;^)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
+1 Sometimes I head to the garage at night and just ease myself into the rear cabin and stretch out with the seat set to the lounge position and listen to some jazz---Verrry relaxing. I've said it before, but damn, I really have to get me a part-time driver for those times I just want to relax in the rear cabin and not drive ;^)
I have fallen asleep in my garage or driveway behind the wheel of both my '07 and '11 doing the exact same thing. For me, there is no more comfortable and accommodating space to spend time alone on the planet.

Last edited by Swissman564; 12-10-2016 at 03:26 AM.