A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a single A8...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Not a single A8...

We're leisurely driving back to Boston [daylight hours only] from Ft. Myers mostly along I-95 North [ I-75 and 301 as well in north Florida], and I have not seen a single A8 on the road! And this includes a two day stopover in downtown Savannah and an overnight in Raleigh. No A8's there either!

What's up? Truly a unique marque, but really...??
Old 04-11-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are rare, but apparently they come out in droves at a time. Last time I was in Charleston, I saw 2 D4s and 3 D3s, unfortunately I was driving the rental toaster. I saw a gorgeous grey D4 in the local grocery store parking lot last week...

But they are one of the rarest cars on the road. Makes me like driving it even more.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Went on a 5,500 mile road trip out west then south this winter with mine, and only saw one other on the road in all those miles!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It seems like if people knew what they were missing, more would buy them. After considering the best from Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar, it came down between the 750 and the A8. I chose the A8 because it's more nimble nature and it's inviting interior.

I had a passenger a bit ago who got in and asked me if it was a Mercedes. When I told him it was an A8, he asked if that was a kind of Mercedes.

That I see more LS460's out there is the most frustrating, given that it is by far the least rewarding to drive of any of the big marques.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88

That I see more LS460's out there is the most frustrating, given that it is by far the least rewarding to drive of any of the big marques.
The sad fact is most people don't want something that is rewarding to drive. Most people, my wife included, want something simple to operate, quiet, comfortable, and reliable. Our Lexus LX meets all those and my wife prefers it to the S8.

Me, not so much. Given the choice I always go in the S8.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's funny, I drove from Binghamton to Boston for a visit and saw several A8Ls.

Mine and my dads LOL....

I have a neighbor down the road who has an A8 (2010 or 11). I see a few down in Vestal during the first week of the college school year at Binghamton University, but more MB and BMWs.

There are plenty out there, but it's a low volume expensive car.

Only a few nuts have 4 Audi's in their garage LOL....

Mike
Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack88
It seems like if people knew what they were missing, more would buy them. After considering the best from Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar, it came down between the 750 and the A8. I chose the A8 because it's more nimble nature and it's inviting interior.

I had a passenger a bit ago who got in and asked me if it was a Mercedes. When I told him it was an A8, he asked if that was a kind of Mercedes.

My co-worker is now looking at D4s after seeing and riding in my S8 and he is close to making the move. He was stuck on a 750 but after seeing the interior of the A8 he is leaning much further that way. I told him to go drive both and he will know.

As for the Lexus, most Americans are driving appliances whether they admit it or not. As a previous poster stated, they want something to start, stop, forget about, and then start again...reliable A to B transportation. If it has nice smelling leather and wood and crap all the better.

Lexus, Acura and Inifiniti were created for the American market since "appearances are everything" and Toyota, Nissan, and Honda wouldn't have been able to sell expensive luxury cars here if not under an invented marque. I bet 95% of the general public don't realize the relationships between luxury brands and their parent companies.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Funny, I encountered 4 A8s yesterday---2 face lifted 2015 D4 LWB, 1pre-face lift D4 LWB and a D3 NWB. I guess they're blossoming out with the first warm days of Spring here on Eastern Long Island. 🌱
Old 04-12-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

CT to DC. Only 1 so far.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am beginning to see more A8s in the nabe; between yesterday and today, I saw 3 D3s and 1 D4 here in Brooklyn. I tend to agree with Fred.... perhaps the warm weather has a part to play.

Quick Reply: Not a single A8...