A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Panamera Comparison

Has anyone seriously considered the Panamera or traded out of one into the A8?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I considered the Panny 4S before getting my 2011 A8L, and again toyed with the idea prior to getting my 2015 A8L. Also looked at the Pan4 as a cost reducer, since the lease cost on the Pan 4S (the way I wanted it optioned) was way over what I felt appropriate to spend. Didn't really like the normally aspirated V6 engine in the Pan 4, nor the overall "sports car" feel of the Panamera model line-up---I more enjoy the "luxury" experience of the A8, but that's a very subjective like/dislike. Despite a very nice Panamera interior and comfortable seats, the A8 was just a better all-around package for my needs. I have an acquaintance who has a 2011 Pan 4S (V8) and felt the need to get a Benz S550 for his longer highway commutes---which he feels has a far more comfortable ride on lousy NYC roads and when stuck in traffic situations versus his Panny.

I still think about it, but my current 4.0T V8 A8 has virtually eliminated the Panamera's siren song I used to hear.

Last edited by derfA8L; 04-24-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

One experienced Audi salesman I talked to where they sell Porsche's still on the same site is that the typical cross shop car is an A7, or more likely S7 or RS7 depending on equipment level. Happened to come up when I mentioned my biggest issue sitting in an RS7 was the back seat and in turn four seater only for that one, like my D3 W12. That's when he mentioned Panamera.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, but which model are you talking about? There are a ton of them, plus the new V6TT in 2014 that replaced the V8.

I test drove the PTT and it was very fast, but for some reason I still like the 4.0T better for daily driving.

Originally Posted by Puzz1
Has anyone seriously considered the Panamera or traded out of one into the A8?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTFL just released a video they caught of the 2017 Panamera testing. The back end look a lot better.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I recently test drove a 2013 Panamara GTS back to back with a 2013 A8L 4.0. Drove both on back roads primarily. As to the A8, the handling was not to my liking, and I attribute that to the long wheel base. My 2007 A8 is SWB with the sport suspension option, and I much prefer its feel to the LWB A8.

The Panamera GTS was quite different. NA V8, which I like, and it is indeed more like a sports car. I drove it hard, and it was fantastic. In Sport plus mode the transmission did things I didn't realize we're possible; multi gear downshifts with perfect RPM sync and the sports exhaust howling! I almost bought it, but I could not quite come to grips with a can of fix a flat instead of any kind of spare tire. Plus, I already have a couple of sports cars. And, of course, my eyes, my eyes!

I told the salesman that I wanted to drive an S8 when they get a recent vintage return.

But I want to emphasize, SWB is a big deal to me, and if the intended driving is primarily highway, and luxury is the target, no problem with A8L.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Quite long, but you might want to watch this. Again, it is the RS7 comparo to Panamera, and then on top of that it's the Panamera turbo. But in later part of it they get to on road and then on track. They also pull in Randy Pobst for his track driving commentary given his Audi, Porsche and other driving history. That part I take more seriously than your latest random car reviewer. Never heard the S8 is a track car--at alone at or beyond RS7--so to me RS7 is perhaps some proxy back over to the best an S8 might be regarded. All fits my continuing sense S8 is much the extremely well dressed autobahn rocket but not the finesse road machine beyond 7/10ths.

Mike, remember that through 2015 you could find SWB 4.0T A8's, including w/ sport diff. So you can look there as well, as opposed to just S8's. Narrow window in there as well you can find them in facelift.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-25-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forget how many but I've driven probably 4 different versions of the Panamera (fastest being the GTS) and I can emphatically say I do NOT like them and in the context of the S8 its not even close. Why?

- "Feels" heavy, and not in a good way. The A8 platform isn't exactly light but it never feels it's weight IMO

- Interior: looked cool at first but I'm not a fan of the Porsche software vs. Audi MMI, feels cramped for such a big car in all seats, and I've seen some very shoddy wear & tear on some that are 2+ years old (painted plastic wearing off)

- Looks: I'm sorry but they are fugly as hell. The newer ones are better but the car is still a mess, to me it can't figure out what it wants to be...

- Value: Seeing as how Porsche has never sold one of the "base" Panameras ever, you're looking at $100k+ for the lower end of the 14 different versions available (YES THAT IS CORRECT THEY SELL 14 F*CKING VERSIONS OF THIS CAR!!!!!!!). Even the Turbo doesn't touch the S8 in the 0-60 category....

So yea, cool car I guess but not for me...
Old 04-25-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was looking to buy my '13 A8, I test drove a '12 Panamera 4. I really wanted to love the car - I wanted a Porsche! Haven't had one since I had a 911 before I had kids. And I had the best 911 ever - 1987, G50, factory wide body cabrio. Loved it!

The '12 panny did nothing for me, could've been that it was a V6, not sure. It just wasn't great. And it had no fun options for that year, I even had to use the key to start the car and the fob to open the doors - not a big deal but I was used to the other stuff. The NAV screen on the dash was pretty cool. Big factor was the stupid hatchback - you can't see out of it very well at all. Very narrow from top to bottom.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Panamera actually scored high on the 'ugly car' list. I know its a Porsche, but I can't get the fact that it looks like a squashed pacer. I know Porsche has to be tried and true to their look, but its dated.

Quick Reply: Panamera Comparison