A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability with a tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What kind of impact if any do you see on cruising mpg? I want do the apr stage 2 with intake soon.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
What kind of impact if any do you see on cruising mpg? I want do the apr stage 2 with intake soon.
Which intake would you be installing on it? Asking before i cant seem to find any specific d4 fit intake.
The mpg wasnt affected in my opinion. Maybe im just used to a heavy foot before and now.i dont have to press on the gas as much as before. Its pretty identical regardless
Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like nermb Said. It depends on how you drive but it is allmost the same mpg, unless you drive it Harder wich People tend to do then it uses more fuel. Dont know about mpg since im in kml.
But it is a World of difference Stock vs stage 1 / 2. Like i Said in my earlier post i have a s8 apr downpipe and mtm stage 2. I tried Stock vs stage 2 test on my racelogic vboks. And i drove 0-100 km/h Stock 3.8, and now its 3.1 sec. 100-200 km/h was mid 8s befor and is 7.6 now. In a 2tons car.
Imo all these intakes ppl tend to put on work worse then the original since its a open filter inside the engine Bay
Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dannysh
Like nermb Said. It depends on how you drive but it is allmost the same mpg, unless you drive it Harder wich People tend to do then it uses more fuel. Dont know about mpg since im in kml.
But it is a World of difference Stock vs stage 1 / 2. Like i Said in my earlier post i have a s8 apr downpipe and mtm stage 2. I tried Stock vs stage 2 test on my racelogic vboks. And i drove 0-100 km/h Stock 3.8, and now its 3.1 sec. 100-200 km/h was mid 8s befor and is 7.6 now. In a 2tons car.
Imo all these intakes ppl tend to put on work worse then the original since its a open filter inside the engine Bay
So how does your car sound now with the dps? Did it get louder, any drone? Also how does it drive with the cylinder deactivation?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was not looking at the intake that closely but APR states it is needed to achieve ideal power / what they advertise. It makes sense. It needs to breath. Definitely makes the supercharger loud under wot.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cleex024
So how does your car sound now with the dps? Did it get louder, any drone? Also how does it drive with the cylinder deactivation?
On cold start it Sound abit louder not much and if you drive normaly it Sounds like Stock. When u give it throttle it growls more but it is deffintly not loud like e63 AMG etc. No drone at all i am very pleased with this setup, because my buddy have a rs6 with full catless miltek exhaust and it is insanly laud and alot of drone!
I dont notice the deactivation
Old 03-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I was not looking at the intake that closely but APR states it is needed to achieve ideal power / what they advertise. It makes sense. It needs to breath. Definitely makes the supercharger loud under wot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZFkUnM4kI
But this is with a open hood. If u drive your car hard the engine Bay Will be very hot, this is the issue with the 4,0t the cooling system plus the original catalysers are wraped behind the engine and it is very hot inside so when u put a open filter on it it Will most likely be hot air it sucks in unless its screen of like on the original (box) or like the first filter but it is still open inside the engine Bay

Last edited by Dannysh; 03-22-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I hear you about hot air and intakes. I can't testify personally just what apr is listing. I decided to do stage 1 for now. I have an appointment with an Audi dealer for the work. Had a really interesting and nice conversation about how they service and continue to provide full cpo coverage on the vehicle. It's the way to go if you still have coverage. Have a dealer do the tune and I will continue go to them.

another interesting video:
https://youtu.be/VNklpt8CVW4
Old 03-22-2017, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

But this is with a open hood. If u drive your car hard the engine Bay Will be very hot, this is the issue with the 4,0t the cooling system plus the original catalysers are wraped behind the engine and it is very hot inside so when u put a open filter on it it Will most likely be hot air it sucks in unless its screen of like on the original (box) or like the first filter but it is still open inside the engine Bay
if you are at a stand still then yes it will get very hot under there but with any kind of movement its not as hot as you think...also cold air is a lot more useful in naturally aspirated motors. the reason these engines would be to decrease the restriction...you really need to get more surface area and not as tight...the oem filters will prevent everything from getting into that engine except for a little bit of air lol...aem and k&n have much less restriction but of course that means a little more dirt gets into the engine which i dont think hurts that much.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

On cold start it Sound abit louder not much and if you drive normaly it Sounds like Stock. When u give it throttle it growls more but it is deffintly not loud like e63 AMG etc. No drone at all i am very pleased with this setup, because my buddy have a rs6 with full catless miltek exhaust and it is insanly laud and alot of drone!
I dont notice the deactivation
man i really want to get catless dps for this car as my 335i sounded so good with catless dps. even with the stock exhaust in the 335i it sounded amazing, but then sounded even better with an ets exhaust...that setup actually didnt have much drone.

but man its hard to throw down 2200 for some dps...then you have to get a tune otherwise why get it lol.

i wonder why the 1k 3k rpm shake is sometimes fixed with replacing dps...that is why i asked if there was any problems with the cylinder deactivation.

Quick Reply: Reliability with a tune