A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8:too many annoying features

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:55 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDHolmdel
Just recently picked up my 2015 S8. For the money they charge for this vehicle, it should be flawless. Unfortunately there are 4 things that i feel are design flaws that quite frankly no other high end OEM has.
1. Front sensors. I cannot believe the only way the front sensors work is by pushing a button. Safety features should be able to be shut off but never should you have to remember to put them on. Ridiculous
2. Night vision: once again a safety feature that needs to be put on every time you start the car. Forgot to put it on this morning and as luck would have, I just missed hitting a deer. Clearly by virtue of the fact I paid to have this option means I want to use it. Why do I have to remember to put it on every time i start the vehicle?
3. High Beam assist. Once again needs to be put on every time you start the car. I have owned Mercedes, BMW, etc and those cars are smart enough to remember to put them back on if they were engaged when you shut the car.
4. This may be the dumbest of all. Why in the instrument cluster does the car insist that I hit a button every time I start the car to use my radio presets. It defaults to all the stations and not your presets. This is the only car I have seen do that.

Bottom line, for $120,000 this car should allow the driver to use these features custom to his likes and not automatically shut them off. I feel like a fighter pilot when I start the car having to hit all sorts of buttons before I drive away. If you are deciding between a A8/S8 and a Mercedes S class or the BMW 7, I recommend Mercedes or BMW. The Audi engineers need a wakeup call.
Interesting, in most of Europe that that car is around $220K and not many buy it for its comfort features. Have you tried pushing it really, really hard?, if you did you would end up with an irresistible smile and most likely a new addiction.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davideisenva
Hi Joe,

Are you from Holmdel? I grew up in Manalapan...

Regardless, I feel there are many other large inconveniences that you could complain about, such as the whacky Dynamic Steering, that I can't ever seem to find a sweet spot with, or this random chirping that comes through my speakers as I drive. These are the things that annoy me, not having to remember to turn the automatic headlights on. That being said, I love my car, and coming from a S6 it is a vast improvement.
yes David, i live in Holmdel. didnt mean to whine but the items i mentioned are all fixable by the German engineers. Hoping they read the forums to get ideas from. And why shouldnt we expect perfection when spending that much money. Other than those annoying features, I do like the car.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

quite frankly the Mercedes S class. It is not guilty of any of the 4 things i just complained about. Will agree the S8 is a ton more fun to drive though.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mercedes requires you to engage the high beam assist once but from there remembers you want them on and defaults to that setting
Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Didn't realize the S class didn't have all of the above mentioned problems. I personally wouldn't want the front sensors on all the time but yes, that seems like that could be an easy option to add in the MMI system. As far as the night vision, I only use it in select environments so it would annoy me if it was always on, but could be another easy option to add to the MMI. Maybe it will be more streamlined with the next version where the whole instrument cluster is digital.

I didn't buy this car for its safety features though - just the sheer power. Everything else is an added bonus to me.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

If any of you ever find the "perfect" car that pleases everyone on all counts, please post it immediately! In the meantime, enjoy your S8 every time you start up that wonderful engine and step on the accelerator!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
If any of you ever find the "perfect" car that pleases everyone on all counts, please post it immediately! In the meantime, enjoy your S8 every time you start up that wonderful engine and step on the accelerator!
+1

However, IMHO the S8 comes about as close to perfection as I've ever experienced--I really don't have any major complaints and no service issues after almost 15,000 miles. There will always be some features or better user interface offered by other manufacturers that you wish you had--the S8 is mostly about the motor and its exclusivity.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default NHTSA, liability, patents, and other BS

I recall reading that the high beam assist must be activated manually after turning on the lights because of yet another stupid NHTSA requirement, not because it didn't occur to the design teams to add the feature. I'm only guessing, but there could be a liability or any number of other reasons why you have to turn on the night vision each time you start driving your car, much like having to acknowledge everytime you enter data into the nav system while driving that you are aware there are risks to what you are doing. Audi is probably reluctant to assume that the same person climbs into the driver seat every time the car is driven.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Best Car Ever

I have a 2011 A8 NWB. It is by far the best car in its class I have ever driven. Of course it is not perfect. . . . What is? I smile every time I get in the car and drive. Other cars may have a better feature in a certain area but do they produce the same driving satisfaction of the A8/S8?

Quite frankly, Mercedes has cheapened the brand by coming out with too many models. They seem almost ubiquitous in a parking lot. On the other hand my car is noticed and commented on.

I could go on about my pet-peeves about BMW features and controls . . . but I decline.

Japanese cars are technically outstanding but lack the soul of originality and creativity. They usually seem to be a knock-off of other brands.

One thing that does annoy me about DVD/CD players in cars (including Audi) and homes units is that they count up to an unknown final time. Why is there no setting to count down!!!!! Rant for the day. :-)
Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Never had to turn on the front sensors unless easing into a parking lot after driving, never considered it annoying, I just drove a cool car, so didnt care.
only want night vision on when i need it on
didnt buy this option,
i have to agree on this one, but i am far from complaining about it.

Quick Reply: S8:too many annoying features