A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem With Front End Noise

My 2011 with 44.700 miles, has an extended warranty so the front suspension bushings should be covered unless it is classified as a 'wear' item.

THe second item on my list is the front brakes squealing on low speed light pedal braking. This is the second time 'round with this issue. THe first time they machined the rotors and sanded the glazed brakes. Hmmmm.... I wonder if the can put on ceramic brakes.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
THe first time they machined the rotors and sanded the glazed brakes.
Audi did that ?
I didn't know anyone turned rotors anymore.

They are so inexpensive on a D3 from what I've heard, I would have expected them to replace them.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pcc125
Do you know if the dealer had to realign your wheels after replacing the needed parts? Thanks for posting the pictures.

Yes, I had to pay for that, about $175 or so along with the headlight adaptation for the alignment on them also. The steering wheel was off to the left anyway and I hate things out of whack.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
There are two specific issues which you have to separate out.

The first is a sort of "whoop" sound that many of us hear when going over dips and bumps in the roadway after the car sits overnight. This usually goes away after a few minutes. Audi's explanation for this is essentially air bubbles that accumulate in the air suspension's hydraulic oil causing the sound---it typically goes away after the oil heats up causing the air bubbles to dissolve.

The second issue appears to be the suspension control arm and stabilizer bushings wearing out at about the mileage you've reached---approximately 47k---causing the creaking noise. Many of us on this forum probably haven't driven those many miles, so the issue hasn't really received that much attention here. Plenty of posts on the D3 side however, and as more new owners of pre-owned D4s come on board---especially with 2011/'12 cars---they will be hitting that mileage mark with more frequency, so I expect to see more discussion of this issue as time goes on.
So I dropped the A8L at the dealership this morning, and they gave me a brand new 2015 A8 loaner. Three hours later, the service advisor calls in and says the noise is normal even though I showed him a video of the car going over bumps and making the squeaking noise. The advisor said Audi has issued a TSB stating that it is normal and goes away after a while. He said all the bushings were fine per the mechanic's visual inspection and he would attach a copy of the TSB to my RO. I will post a copy of the TSB once I get the car back. Wonder why this noise started to appear at this mileage level and not before....Is Audi listening?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've never heard such dealer service horror stories from a luxury marquee before.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by needles
I've never heard such dealer service horror stories from a luxury marquee before.
Hah! You should have been around the AW A4, A6 and A8 forums years ago if you wanted to hear some real dealer service horror stories. Still too many crappy dealers out there, but things have improved from what I can tell.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pcc125
Wonder why this noise started to appear at this mileage level and not before....Is Audi listening?
How long have you had the vehicle ?
It's much more noticeable in colder weather.

I've seen the TSB and it states exactly that - tell the customer it is not an issue.

Originally Posted by derfA8L
things have improved from what I can tell.
I think they have.
Folks are armed with more information now than previously for one thing.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
I think they have.
Folks are armed with more information now than previously for one thing.
I mentioned "several web sites with A8 discussion forums for owners" to my service rep and his tone immediately shifted from amicable to exasperated. Not sure if it's related, but damn!

He even tried to defeat me over the phone regarding the rear cup holders not opening any longer. "You really need to push hard!" he says. Uh huh, I feel like I'm going to break it if I push any harder. The catch is not releasing, bro. LOL.

Anyway, I shudder to imagine what they'll say if I ask for UCA bushings.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by needles
I mentioned "several web sites with A8 discussion forums for owners" to my service rep and his tone immediately shifted from amicable to exasperated. Not sure if it's related, but damn!
Well think of all the un-informed people who aren't on this or other A8 forums that your SA has to deal with....
Shoot, even we here have been fooled by little things like the valet function.
Then think about how everyone today feels they 'deserve' something and bitches to high heaven if they aren't 400% satisfied...

This is why I will never work with the pubic again

A lot of it is about the relationship with the dealership as discussed in another thread.
Having been a dealer nothing annoys me more than the derogatory term 'stealership'.
Fools and their money are parted one way or another, usually through ignorance
Old 11-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Amen . . .

I was raised with oil in my blood (and gas fumes in my brain). My family owned a domestic and then an imported franchise from 1925 to 1980.

I agree. You can bend over backwards and do your utmost to satisfy a reasonable customer, but you cannot satisfy a fool or an idiot.

Originally Posted by jakematic
Well think of all the un-informed people who aren't on this or other A8 forums that your SA has to deal with....
Shoot, even we here have been fooled by little things like the valet function.
Then think about how everyone today feels they 'deserve' something and bitches to high heaven if they aren't 400% satisfied...

This is why I will never work with the pubic again

A lot of it is about the relationship with the dealership as discussed in another thread.
Having been a dealer nothing annoys me more than the derogatory term 'stealership'.
Fools and their money are parted one way or another, usually through ignorance

Last edited by Kkirkg; 11-18-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Squeaky suspension