A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of a 2012-2013 A8

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidA
Lusting after a A8 L is not shameful. The A8L, it is the 'the best car at any price in the world' IMO. The 4.0T is a 'world class' car; my '13MY w/ 33 k mis is addictive but I'm looking to upgrade to a S8 soon. (see my add in AW) Mine has most options except night vision, heads-up & refrigerator. It has a quality on the Interstate that gives the driver a sense of total control inside and outside the cabin. It settles in at 80-85mph... Plate position to the L can be done with the tow hook mod so it can be taken off or kept on the left side to allow the grill full exposure; suspension is air/adjustable and is quite adequate for the chassis (S8 is a sport susp. but at a price); 20" wheels are just right for the chassis and give it a smooth ride on almost any surface; over all its a 10 with few flaws.
would you outline these flaws please? as an owner your opinion is paramount. I keep reading about an excessive road noise complaint which seems astonishing for this class of car. do you experience it? any reliability problems? thanks in advance. feel free to pm me your answer if youd like.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
would you outline these flaws please? as an owner your opinion is paramount. I keep reading about an excessive road noise complaint which seems astonishing for this class of car. do you experience it? any reliability problems? thanks in advance. feel free to pm me your answer if youd like.
You didn't ask me but I will respond as well. We ordered our 2013 A8L in Feb. '13, it was delivered in May '13 and it has been totally problem free. Just had the 15k service performed and have yet to experience a single issue including anything relation to excessive road noise. We do have the dual pane glass and the road noise is very slightly greater than in our Lexus LS460 but not significantly louder and I attribute most of that to the Pirelli all-season tires which has a bit more aggressive tread than the Bridgestone's on the Lexus.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Audi Certified Pre-owned... 2012 fully loaded...

I think I found a 2012 with everything on it... sticker price $101k now, certified pre-owned for $53k with 12k miles. The car was first registered in feb 2012, which means it only has 1 year left of original warranty. Does certified pre-owned from a dealer mean it comes with 6 years 100k miles or I have to buy the warranty for it? If I do, what's the fair price for the warranty?
This is not a "L" which my kids like, but it has every possible options that I want.
-Solar roof - dual pane.
-Night vision.
-Driver assist package.
-Premium
-Cold package.
-20" wheels which I don't need and hate.
-4 zones.
-Convenient package.
-Leather package.
-Power shades.

One thing I want to ask is the foot activated trunk, it doesn't seem to list in this 2012. I thought it's standard in 2012 model or late 2012 model?

Is the price a good price? Especially it's a California car which I like. 1/2 price drop in 3 years, that's bad.

This may not be my last car, but at least 5-10 years until I can't afford the gas any more... :-)

-1.9% financing with AFS.
-6 years 100k miles warranty.
-low miles and fully loaded.
-The wife seems to like it - the only problem is we just bought the 06 less than 2 years ago, we may not get much for it if we trade it in.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-30-2015, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO means you get the warranty with it. The 6 years is from original delivery date I think, meaning a 2012 has a warranty until 2018 (3 more years), or 100k miles. Each service has a $80 deductible I think too.

Your kids like that it is not an L!?!? Why, so they can kick your seat back

Best deal around here is a 2012 for $41k with less options and 50k miles so it seems like maybe that is a decent deal. Lots of these showing up on cars.com now, probably because leases are ending.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think $10k for 30k miles is worth it...

Thanks for info Greg
25-30 cents a mile is a fair deal. We drive 16k-17k miles a year. I would like to get the one with everything on it so I don't have to retrofit anything.
The kids like heated seats, kick the back... it seems light interior color would be a problem.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7

One thing I want to ask is the foot activated trunk, it doesn't seem to list in this 2012. I thought it's standard in 2012 model or late 2012 model?
My 2012 has the foot activated trunk; though it wasn't advertised in any of the literature I got with the car. I didn't find out it existed until I read about it on here a year or so back.

Of course, I immediately went outside to test and see whether my version had that feature. Much to the general amusement of my neighbors, as it took me a few tries to figure out where to stand to activate it, and apparently looked like I was randomly and weakly kicking my rear fender...

John
Old 01-30-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I think I found a 2012 with everything on it... sticker price $101k now, certified pre-owned for $53k with 12k miles. The car was first registered in feb 2012, which means it only has 1 year left of original warranty. Does certified pre-owned from a dealer mean it comes with 6 years 100k miles or I have to buy the warranty for it? If I do, what's the fair price for the warranty? This is not a "L" which my kids like, but it has every possible options that I want. -Solar roof - dual pane. -Night vision. -Driver assist package. -Premium -Cold package. -20" wheels which I don't need and hate. -4 zones. -Convenient package. -Leather package. -Power shades. One thing I want to ask is the foot activated trunk, it doesn't seem to list in this 2012. I thought it's standard in 2012 model or late 2012 model? Is the price a good price? Especially it's a California car which I like. 1/2 price drop in 3 years, that's bad. This may not be my last car, but at least 5-10 years until I can't afford the gas any more... :-) -1.9% financing with AFS. -6 years 100k miles warranty. -low miles and fully loaded. -The wife seems to like it - the only problem is we just bought the 06 less than 2 years ago, we may not get much for it if we trade it in. Cheers, Louis
at half the original sticker low miles and include CPO you're definitely in range. (cpo is 6/100 from feb 12.) that was my formula last year on a very late build 2011.
they shld knock a few grand off.
watch for bull**** fees at end of negotiations.
if it's got the options you like then go for it.
2012 4.2 motor a plus and even with short wheelbase its plenty big. i loved my D3 in 'L'
but the D4 is even bigger and u may not miss the size.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks guys... I have some ideas on how to get my deal now

I was either pay cash for a used car or new from Dealer, never CPO one before.
My wife and kids would love the kick to open the trunk. I was going to finish "kick the trunk" for my D3 this summer, but it may not be if the deal take place. I'm in Mexico on a business trip at the moment and I found the car late last night on Autotrader.

If I get a D4 and it has the kick the trunk feature, I'll retrofit it to open by voice activation.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 02-23-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
Im in this market too. the 2012s are pretty affordable but makes me wonder why a car that listed for so much more depreciates like a stone. also I have had an audi tech tell me that its hard to resell too. jeez.
this is quite a bit of a misnomer. The problem with cars isnt so much depreciation at least in the 1st year anyway. its the fact that we overpay on what the car is worth to begin with, Let me explain it this way.

What does it cost for any manufacturer to really produce a car? Whatever it costs, that's the actual value of a car. BTW, you would be shocked on what it truly costs to build an A8 "widget"

In any case, the markup begins when Audi sells to AoA. Then the markup increases when AoA sells to the dealer. Then the markup increases when the dealer sells to the consumer (aka msrp or even slightly less than msrp)

Even if you were to buy a car at invoice (I think Invoice price is a clever marketing gimmick btw) , you are still overpaying on what the car actually cost to build and hence, what its really worth.

Now comes a year later when you put wear on the car. That's when true genuine depreciation (added to the overprice that you paid for it) kicks in a little due to wear and tear. 2 years later and there is more wear and tear. Bu wait, now there is a newer, faster better looking model. No longer is your car in as demand as it was because of the new look, body, performance etc

All these factors Play a huge role and sometimes the new model obliterates the value of the previous model in this regard. Lets taKe the R8 for example. When the new DCT (Dual Clutch Trans) in the R8 finally came out in 2014, suddenly, the Previous r-tronic was chopped liver. The new s-tronic technology destroyed the value of brand new r-tronics. It was so bad that leftover brand new 2012 lot cars with r-tronic trans were being discounted as much as $30K. Dealers had trouble giving these away. So what What does that do to a 2011 r tronic R8 that has 10K miles on it? It becomes downright depressing.

Look at the bright side. The cars that by far are the MOST overpriced and most depreciated are the MERCEDES Models, particularly the AMG's (S65, SL65, S63 AND E55). Do some research and you will agree. Look at what a 2009 S65 with aN INITIAL price tag of $200K is now selling for and you can even get them at Car max for 1/4 the initial cost. It almost makes me want to buy a 2nd hand luxury car! lol

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 02-23-2015 at 12:27 PM.