A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well that is cute

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Well that is cute

Still getting acquainted with my new S8. I went out this evening to run an errand and noticed that the red-line on the tachometer changes as the engine warms up. How about that. Pretty amazing.

I am used to quite a bit more instrumentation in my Porsches. Are there after market options for measuring such things as turbo boost, oil temperature, etc.?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty cool, huh ?

It's a shame P3 Cars doesn't make them for the S8.
They have a very elegant solution for lots of other models - maybe if enough people call/write...

Needle sweep is my favorite tweak.
You can show some things in DIS with VCDS tweaks too.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Oil temp might be hidden not entirely sure. I know the S4 has a laptimer where they bury the oil temp. Boost is probably hidden somewhere too. It would take some time playing in VCDS to see what you can find.

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Still getting acquainted with my new S8. I went out this evening to run an errand and noticed that the red-line on the tachometer changes as the engine warms up. How about that. Pretty amazing.

I am used to quite a bit more instrumentation in my Porsches. Are there after market options for measuring such things as turbo boost, oil temperature, etc.?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
Oil temp might be hidden not entirely sure. I know the S4 has a laptimer where they bury the oil temp. Boost is probably hidden somewhere too. It would take some time playing in VCDS to see what you can find.
I went from a Porsche to a new S8 as well. Love the S8 but I too miss the additional instrumentation and flexibility of information display Porsche offers. I found it does take as long to really find the groove with the S8 as it does to get a Porsche familiar and set up just right; finding the right power band and transmission modes at the right time, things like that.

Prior to the a couple Porsches I had a Maserati Quattroporte, a wonderful, sexy car but I never liked it more than I did on the day I took delivery. With the Porsches and now the S8 I like the car more after having it for a while than the day I took delivery. Not sure what that means or why, but I kinda like it that way.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a Ross-Tech cable, you can enable the lap timer function in the DIS. Bringing up this "page" with the little menu button on the left side of the steering wheel next to the scroll wheel will also display the oil temperature and a boost gauge, though the latter is just a small vertical stack of bars with no absolute value, just a relative display between 0 and MAX. In manual mode, this screen will also display a progressive series of horizontal bars that function as a shift light.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks ronbars. I'll have to look into a Ross-Tech cable.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll have to look into a Ross-Tech cable.
This is the one you want: Ross-Tech Store: VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Unlimted VIN (All VAG)

There is also a WhyFi version, but it's not ready for prime time in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
This is the one you want: Ross-Tech Store: VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Unlimted VIN (All VAG)

There is also a WhyFi version, but it's not ready for prime time in my opinion.
I might do this if it was compatible with Apple laptop, but I don't intend to venture into the Windows world just to have this info. I really would like to have it displayed constantly as I'm driving. I can get some of it using my Garmin GPS, but can't get turbo boost and oil temperature, which are two I would like to be able to see.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I might do this if it was compatible with Apple laptop
I hear ya.

They failed badly by making it Windoze only, and tried to fix that with what is called HEX-NET.

It's an interesting product, and I was foolish enough to buy two of them.
You are stuck forever using a USB cord to update it, required to tether it to your phone and pray the cloud functionality works, among many other quirks.
They also seem to have very little interest in making it work properly with the D4 model.

You may ask around on the forum(s) to see if there is anyone near you who has VCDS and could assist.

If you'd like I'll look up the factory procedure in erWin.
The only diagnostics assistance I do anymore is for D4 owners
Old 12-19-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks jakematic, but don't need diagnostics right now, just a curious new owner who is used to closely watching oil temperature in my Porsches!

Quick Reply: Well that is cute