A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will It Ever Be The Same?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Will It Ever Be The Same?

Returning home yesterday from an out of town funeral. Driving on Interstate where right lane was barricaded and closed for repairs. Following about 6 car lengths behind an 18 wheeler that lost the tread off a tire. There was no where for me to go since right lane was closed so I hit the piece of tire head on. Everything seemed OK until we got home and got out of the car. There was a strong smell of gasoline. I backed out of the garage and there was a puddle of gasoline on the floor.

Verdict from the dealer is a hole in the gas tank and will require removal and replacement of the tank. According to the dealer this requires "partial disassembly of the frame" and subsequent wheel alignment etc. Total estimate is $4,700.

Question I have is, if they have to "partially disassemble" the frame and do a wheel alignment will it ever be the same? I love the way it drove before the incident, but this sounds a little scary for the integrity of the car.

Anyone have any experience?
Old 08-05-2015, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It should be alright. You didn't have any damage to the structure, so it should go back together just fine. Where I'd worry about it driving different is they had to replace structural items.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Returning home yesterday from an out of town funeral. Driving on Interstate where right lane was barricaded and closed for repairs. Following about 6 car lengths behind an 18 wheeler that lost the tread off a tire. There was no where for me to go since right lane was closed so I hit the piece of tire head on. Everything seemed OK until we got home and got out of the car. There was a strong smell of gasoline. I backed out of the garage and there was a puddle of gasoline on the floor.

Verdict from the dealer is a hole in the gas tank and will require removal and replacement of the tank. According to the dealer this requires "partial disassembly of the frame" and subsequent wheel alignment etc. Total estimate is $4,700.

Question I have is, if they have to "partially disassemble" the frame and do a wheel alignment will it ever be the same? I love the way it drove before the incident, but this sounds a little scary for the integrity of the car.

Anyone have any experience?
Sorry to hear that Red. It should be fine. I don't doubt everything is bolt on. They will square it up and you will be on the road again.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow. Bummer man.

God speed on getting you car back on the road.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ugh. Word from dealer is tank is back ordered with no estimated delivery date.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Take some JB weld or MarineTex to that thing....
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redpit107
Take some JB weld or MarineTex to that thing....
No, think not. I'll just drive my A4 loaner and wait.

Anyway know if back orders mean they have to source it back to Germany? Or just what it may mean?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

They gave you an A4 for a loaner?!? I was disappointed when I got an A6 2.0t. I hope you can get this resolved sooner rather than later. We're all sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was joking about the JB welb and MarineTex. Hopefully it gets in quickly. Are you claiming this through your insurance? If so, watch out for diminished value.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I think they just mean the rear subframe has to be removed to swap the tank. The tank is a saddle type design that straddles the propshaft and diff (why it has two in-tank pumps) so to get it out, all that stuff has to be unbolted. There should be no difference to how the car drives once once reassembled and properly aligned.

Quick Reply: Will It Ever Be The Same?