Dash light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash light replacement

Looking for some help to replace the dash lite in the odometer window and one in the shift window on the dash. Dealer tells me that the whole dash has to come out to replace a $5.00 bulb. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Dealer is correct - the instrument cluster has to be removed to gain access to the rear of the...

panel. It's a DIY repair if you have some experience in dealing w/ electrical connections. If you want to try it, please advise and I'll post the removal/installation procedure. I had to remove my cluster last year to replace one dash light over the fuel gauge. But I replaced all of the dash lights so I wouldn't have to do it again for some time. BTW - the $5 bulb from the dealer can be purchased for ~$2 from a non-dealer parts retailer.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:51 PM
pgu

Default I replaced dash lights this weekend

It's really not that hard to get the dash out, but if it's only one bulb I would say it's not worth the job, yet.

(English is not my native language, so please be patient when you read.)

To get the cluster out, you first have to pull off that little thing under the cluster (unscrew the 3 screws first). It covers 3 other screws that holds the cluster. (If you have wood under your cluster you should cover it with tape before you pull it out.) Get the screws out and carefully pull out the cluster. Since the cables are longer on the right side of the cluster, it's easyest to rotate the cluster a bit so you can see behind it on the right side.
When you are able to put a hand up behind the cluster, you have to unscrew the indicator light line where the 'check engine' light is. (Cables for this unit cannot be unplugged.) Then you unplugg all other cables you can reach.
As I remember there is 5 connectors, and 3 different ways to unplugg. The one right behind the speedometer has to be pulled to the right (side of the cluster). The two small ones behind the tachometer has to be pulled straight out. The bigger connector behind the tachometer and the one above the fuel gauge has a plastic brigde/lock on their center that you have to pull out before you can pull out the connector it self.
When all the cables are disconnected, the rest is easy.

About bulbs in the shiftwindow (I asume this is the line in your dash showing P-R-N-D-3-2-1):
Bulbs in the shiftwindow is not ment to be replaced. Audi does not sell bulbs that fit. If you go to a dealer they'll say you'll have to replace the whole display unit, which cost $200!
However, the bulbs in the shift window is soddered on a circuit board, and you should get someone who knows how to sodder to do the replacement. There is a IC between the two bulbs in the display unit, and this chip will be damaged by heat, so be carefull!
I spent about 5 hours, driving to all car dealers and electronic stores in 3 cities to find a bulb I could use. (And I am a EE masters student, living next to Silicon Valley!)
I ended up with a bulb without a socket, but it works.

good luck
-pg
Old 04-30-2003, 06:03 AM

DO IT YOURSELF! Takes 10 minutes. Need a scredriver and needlenose pliers.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default echo....

very easy...you can get a pack of 10 bulbs for $5 from Blaufergnugen. Then all you need is a phillips and needlenose like shopping cart says.

One piece of advice I'd have for you...those bulbs tend to have amazingly similar life spans...do your self a favor and replace them ALL while you're in there. Otherwise you'll find yourself taking apart the dash 4 or 5 times over the next 6 months.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:03 PM

Default dash bulb specs

I've been searching through the archives and haven't found the dash bulb specs yet.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:01 PM
pgu

Default Re: dash bulb specs

normal bulbs are 1.1 or 1.2w (I had both in my dash). Bulbs for colored areas and indicator lights are 2w. They have a shape that (I guess) only audi is using.

Bulbs for the gear selector display is totally different (has to be soddered on a circuitboard). These bulbs doesn't have any text telling their specs.

-p
Old 05-02-2003, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FY Use - Instrument Cluster Removal Instructions

To remove the instrument display, you do the following:

1. Lower and extend the steering wheel as far as possible.
2. Place a towel over the steering switch assembly cover to prevent scratching the cover from the instrument dsiplay.
3. Remove the (2) screws from underneath the lower trim strip and slide it to the left to remove (there is a pin on the right side that you much clear).
4. Remove the (3) Phillips screws that retain the instrument display into the dash.
5. Pull the display out so that you can access the wiring connectors on the back side. Disconnect the wires/lights from the display (remember where they all go!). The two large 26-pin connectors have a center slide that locks the connector to the panel - you have to slide the center lock up to remove these two connectors.
6. Once all of the wiring connectors have been disconnected, you can remove the instrument display. Assembly is the reverse of the above steps.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:27 PM

I wish I knew about the step 2 before I did it the first time
Old 05-02-2003, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Me too - I had to buy another upper cover, so now every one else can learn from my experience.

Quick Reply: Dash light replacement