Moving along.... some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Moving along.... some questions

How the heck does the A/C compressor pivot? I loosened the two bolts pointed out in the Bentley and it ain't budging. Also how the heck does one get the two lower timing belt cover bolts off? They are in a pretty tight location and if it involves removing the bumper, that ain't happening. The bolts for the bumper are pretty much welded in there and I don't feel like trying to extract them now (stinks because I have to do it eventually for my headlights). I found the TDC reference marks without too much trouble, the "0" on the flywheel is pretty tough to see with the rust, but its there.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the heck does the A/C compressor pivot? It's a trick!

There are 'multiple bolts' that you have to undo and twiddle to get the compressor to move. Seems as I recall two 'pivot' bolts (front and back) AND a tensioner bolt (underneath) and pehaps anothe one (the same one that *I* couldn't find when I bent the adjsuter bolt).

I recall an 'allen head' bolt going into an aluminm bit too somewhere from underneath that has to be undone to allow it to 'swing'.

Just look everywhere: In front, behind AND underneath.

Bottom belt cover IS removable without taking off the bumper or crank pulley (In fact you can do everything on the timing belt job, except replacing the belt itself without removing the pulley).

(Should take out the grille though.)

It it easier to do if you have some light, 1/4" drive sockets, extensions and rachet...
Old 08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Skiny hands and arms and an offset 10mm for the TB cover bolts. For the A/C:

There are a couple of adjusting bolts that need to be undone. One has a nut on it to hold the adjusted position. The other is a 6 or 7mm hex head on the back side of compressor. Loosen both and give the compressor a few wacks downward. The belt should loosen enough to slip it over the pulley
Old 08-29-2008, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default After all this....

I think taking the crank bolt out might just be the easiest part of the job... considering I have the 2084 and 2079 tools. It would be nice of the Bentley had a nice clear diagram and instructions on how to tension the A/C compressor..... you know like they have for the alternator (which surprisingly didn't put up too much of a fight!)
Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you have a copy of EKTA, it might shed some light on that...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Of course...

I think I got it figured out though. The exploded parts diagram in the Bentley is pretty non useful until you finally figure out that there are TWO separate pivot bolts on the compressor.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Tools 2084 and 2079

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
I think I got it figured out though. The exploded parts diagram in the Bentley is pretty non useful until you finally figure out that there are TWO separate pivot bolts on the compressor.
Do you still have tools 2084 and 2079 to remove the crankshaft pulley? Would you be willing to sell either one?

Dave Vanden