My '87 4kcsq project

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was going to ask if you made it. I would've had to take the monkeys or I'd have gone. Looks like fun!

Remind me to bring the HD cam and get some footage...

-Rog
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado's @ the Dunes

Broke some traffic laws racing the sunlight to the great sand dunes Wednesday. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

worth it.

According to Keela I missed the best light by 10 min. Going to try again in a few weeks when the days are a little longer. Might even have 3 for the next shoot. . .
Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not the prettiest A4 wheel but the cheapest Denver had to offer

swapped the plastic/brass piece off the stock steering wheel and managed to keep the turn signal cancel working but the horn is still a work in progress. I'll get it eventually.

And the singing rotors finally had to go.

Again, could have spent more money here but at least the rotors are milled directional (cant stand a backwards hole pattern or slots on ONE side of the car ) and they spin true. I'll most likely upgrade pads when and if I hit the track this year.

I also plan to pull the calipers apart and paint them soon but they'll have to stay ugly for now
Old 04-22-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

A little before and after

Just decided to prep & paint them. We'll see how they hold up over time.

And the 10V turbo finally has a stand to call home after years of sliding around on floors. . . maybe it will help motivate me to get going on this portion of the project.

Anyone have a source for a decently priced gasket set? I'm thinking the head gasket and bolts will also be a good idea since I plan on boosting it too the moon.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

nice! how did you do the paint around the window frames?

i would be willing to repaint mine soon. there faded and the edge that seems to be in contact with hands is wearing away.

should i sand and primer, then coat with paint?

or should i go the easy way and just get a spray can and cover up the old coat ?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There's the metal headgasket:

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...hyd-p-113.html

The only thing is you have to have the head and block mating surfaces dead flat. Like you should just about be able to see yourself in them. But that will let you do whatever you want to the engine.

I can't believe I didn't put the ARP studs part number in my thread... It's 204-4205, and if you search for that number on eBay you'll find the best price. Should be right around $100 including shipping. BTW, I have a whole bag of ball bearings left over from my stud installation if you want to do the same thing.

-Rog

EDIT: Scratch that, you might actually need this one:

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...ter-p-197.html

I will have to look up which lifters that engine has (unless you happen to know?) and get back to you.

Last edited by Rogviler; 04-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Funny you ask. I ruled out sanding a while back because it wouldn't take much to burn thru the vinyl, then you'd have a bigger mess on your hands. So I bought a plastic primer for that reason. Then I decided in the name of uniformity, I would paint the gutters too, everything but the quarter window gasket got paint. I'm not a pro but I do know that paint can do funny things when you start mix & matching processes. I didnt want the primed stuff to end up a different shade than the rest so I went the lazy way, cleaned everything with mineral spirits and hit it with some semi-gloss. I figure it'll be easy to touch up if needed and down the road if I ever replace weather stripping I can take the time and re-wrap them all legit and what not. Maybe one of the resident paint experts will chime in on what all I did wrong.

Good call on the gasket Z . . . I always forget all the small changes made on the 10V. That L-series in the Datsun is very interchangeable, So much so that I start thinking all engine families are that way which isn't the case.
Probly the early style gasket since its a 2.1 but the KH was sorta middle of the road production wise so I'll have to make sure.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got a little more ghetto with the rattle cans this weekend. I wish I could find the smoked lenses or a nice set of euro headlights for a reasonable price but I think its a big improvement over the US market pieces. Especially as mismatched as mine were

Cleaned everything with mineral spirits and spent some time masking off the car

Hell, its a challenge car. not an unlimited build. I'd rather be moving forward than waiting on the unattainable pieces. The "would have been nicer if you had those" kinda parts.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The funny thing about trying to save money is. . .

sometimes you end up spending more in the end.

So I bought a set of XXR 521's in the 4x108 classified section on vortex. They ended up being a 4x100/4x114.3 combo instead of 108. The seller felt bad and said he would take em back but since I am never one to make things easy on myself, decided to press forward so I'd be rollin' some wheels come June.

Even though I spent more than intended, It sure is nice to have good friends with nice tools. Here is my good friend turning some on his new lathe. We met working in a machine shop 10 years ago, now neither one of us works in one so he's building a machine shop to call his own.

The adapters I bought Have a 71mm I.D. so A spacer ring was required. If I remember right we ended up with a 2.2520 I.D. x 2.7965 O.D., .565 thick. Nice slip fit and aligns everything perfect.

I also had to track down some M14x1.50 bolts. not that easy to find and I don't live in the smallest of towns. 2 Bolt stores wanted me to order them but Napa had a bunch on shelf. . . go figure. We also had to removed about .035 off the head of the bolts for clearance.

All in this setup took about $230 bucks minus wheel & tire costs and free machining. Next time I'll spend an extra $80 on new wheels that bolt up and be done with it.

That being said, I am very happy with the fitment. What we have here is a 17x7 +38 with an additional 15 from the adapter.

Tires are 205 40's with an "xl" thrown in there. they must have known I'm not a stretch kinda guy

Fronts clear no problem at current ride height, Only heard them rub at full lock backing out of the driveway briskly.

The rears had a slight rub till I took the 2 minutes and cranked it up a half inch. I love coilovers.

Probly do a little fender rolling and drop it back down before long but I'm finally starting to get the look I'm after with this car.

Doin the bull dance...feelin the flow...workin it..workin it.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Took a little trip to check out the infamous turbo quattro yesterday. Put about 100 some (rough *** road) miles on the adapters then re-torqued them today. everything looks good so far and I have a little more confidence in them now. Anyway, a couple more pics. . . cant believe I didn't take one when I was parked behind the black car

that would be an ok picture without the bird turd I picked up

Quick Reply: My '87 4kcsq project