My '87 4KQ Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '87 4KQ Project

Backstory: I had an Audi 4000 in college. It was my first car and while it had its issues, the good memories outweighed the bad. That was 20+ years ago and I have always wanted another.

So, this is the year! Last month I found a 1987 4000CS "daily driver" with "low miles" that had lived its entire life in Colorado (i.e. no rust). My brother, who lives in CO, picked up the car and had a mechanic do a basic inspection. Confident that it would make the drive home, my daughter and I flew out and picked it up. We drove the car 1200 miles home stopping in the Badlands, SD and having a great father/daughter road trip.

Like a lot of you, this will be a hobby/project car. Right now my main goal is to make the car reliable, comfortable and fun. I'm sure I will have some questions and hope this forum can help; and, I hope my experiences can help others out with their 4KQ projects.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice, that's about how far I drove my Audi Fox when I bought it. Blown shocks, no wipers, iffy headlights, and studded snow tires made it a lot less enjoyable than it sounds like your trip was.

-Rog
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have almost the same story, had a 4k in college, flew out to Chicago and bought mine last month. You probably bought one I was looking at :-). Hopefully we can help each other.

[QwUOTE=TrailAgent;24718189]

Backstory: I had an Audi 4000 in college. It was my first car and while it had its issues, the good memories outweighed the bad. That was 20+ years ago and I have always wanted another.

So, this is the year! Last month I found a 1987 4000CS "daily driver" with "low miles" that had lived its entire life in Colorado (i.e. no rust). My brother, who lives in CO, picked up the car and had a mechanic do a basic inspection. Confident that it would make the drive home, my daughter and I flew out and picked it up. We drove the car 1200 miles home stopping in the Badlands, SD and having a great father/daughter road trip.

Like a lot of you, this will be a hobby/project car. Right now my main goal is to make the car reliable, comfortable and fun. I'm sure I will have some questions and hope this forum can help; and, I hope my experiences can help others out with their 4KQ projects.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-10-2015, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Too funny. I saw yours on Craigslist while I was picking mine up. Yes, I would be happy collaborate.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm pretty sure I saw yours too. I was able to transport free as I had a work trip to Chicago. I'm currently trying to prioritize the work it needs. Really doesn't need much, door handle, differential bushing, cluster repair. Rest is cosmetic. Runs good, rust free.
Originally Posted by TrailAgent
Too funny. I saw yours on Craigslist while I was picking mine up. Yes, I would be happy collaborate.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Time for a turbo swap!!

I was lucky to pick up a 1990 Audi 200 for a decent price last week and connect with a local Audi master mechanic that is willing to handle the swap.

The 200 already has a 2Bennett boost chip installed, custom exhaust and well-running MC-2 Turbo Engine. It really has some punch, so I can't wait to feel and hear how it handles in the 4000. Once the engine is sorted out, I will be replacing all of the suspension bushings and adding H&R springs and Bilstein sport struts.

This means that I will have a non-turbo 5-liter engine for sale in 3-4 weeks as well as whatever is left from the Audi 200.