Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP

New to me is new project 1990V8, reasonable shape with 180k km. Different problem, my wipers work good but they go to "home" position-straight vertical. And no-undoing the locknuts and moving the wipers will not work-except to allow the wiers to sweep the hood. There used to be an adjustment one could do to make small adjustments on some cars but I see nothing. I can't see a simple reversal of the power supply wires doing it-but that is about all that busy fingers could have changed. All the parts look original. I'll be going through all fluids and filters and will have more questions. One of these would be- the mixtures appears to be too rich, is this most likely good servicing and maybe oxygen sensors?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

on most wipers I've taken apart, there's a 'home' switch in the gearbox. basically a cam bumps a switch when the wipers are at the rest spot. On some designs a switch rides on the gear, which has conductive and non-conductive areas on it.

Suppose that could be.. gummed up some how, or cam sheared off and is triggering at the wrong point?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeh, I was kinda thinking that except the danged gear box is all riveted shut so maybe I'll just see if I can change it out with something from the VW stable.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found a solution, the wiper gear box faces the firewall- it has a serrated tapered fit gear that holds the wiper arm mechanism on with nut. Must finish dissassembly tomorrow.
Now I have another problem but his one looks much bigger. I only ran the thing for 15 minutes when I looked at it to buy- MY BAD. It only heated up to 75 degrees C- now I found out that is as high as it will go-the danged car is running way rich probably staying in open loop with the FI. I looked into it on the net and changing a thermostat is a major -major event- it looks like. This thing has 124,000 km on it so I doubt anyone has done the timing belt, water pump, or thermostat service. Anyone know if the timing belt can be done DIY with out the special holders and such or know of a place that still sells these tools? Keep in mind I'm out 2 to 3 hours from the nearest Audi dealer and I don't think they would be of much help. Any help is appreciated.
On a brighter note, I took it for a bit of a spin down the highway 20 km and it ran great, I think I have a little looseness in the suspension as something rattles on gravel wash board- sounds like maybe strut mount or such. Something else to check out this winter.
Some one painted the lower part of the car in spray bomb black, I'll have to try to rescue that this winter as well.
All input is appreciated. Oh one last thing- anyone know a source for a manual, I guess they are as rare as these cars.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish you'd posted this a month ago. I have the tools, the manual and even a set of V8 transparencies and a viewer. But it's all 1500 miles away and I won't be back there for months. I used to have two V8s.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can change the thermostat with the belt covers on and since it's got an O-ring seal, is totally doable with everything intact except for the electric fan. That's assuming neither bolt shears off. 25? Torx. Your guage could also just be off so verify with an infrared tester before going to the trouble of replacing thermostat/sending unit or gauge. They all run rich...Ha
Old 10-13-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Motronic (FI)coolant temp sensor is right below the passenger distributor and costs like $15 or so and should be white in color. The one's for the fan/gauge are on the head/radiator, but don't recall which is which.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default AUDI V8

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Wish you'd posted this a month ago. I have the tools, the manual and even a set of V8 transparencies and a viewer. But it's all 1500 miles away and I won't be back there for months. I used to have two V8s.
Are you interested in selling your tools and stuff? I would be interested in that.
As well I did check my temps with my multimeter and thermocouple and the dash gauge is pretty close. I would say with the amount of black soot coming out the tailpipe and my recent DN start because of CAT- it kinda confirms my suspicions about engine being in open loop. I've got lots of temp. measuring stuff from my AC servicing days.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your private message (upper right corner of the page).
Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks toml99, I'll check the Fiche closely to try just doing the T'stat for now.Once I can get it up to operating temperature I'll check the rest of the temperature sensors. I took it out today for a bit of a run. 35 minutes run time and the gauge was just coming off the cold- the highest it has been is under the 75C- granted it was a cold day here today-there was frost on the windshield, but it should warm up better than that. I have to lay off taking it apart till after Tuesday, I have to take it to a mechanic for an insurance inspection due to it's age-don't anticipate any problems-but you never know if they want to drum up repair business.