Quick question about V8 brakes, not a how, but a how much money.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about V8 brakes, not a how, but a how much money.

I've found someone locally who is parting a '91 V8Q with a dealer installed G60 swap that I'd like pull off the car, and I'm honestly completely ignorant as to the market value of these. It'd be strut housings, carriers, calipers, etc.

Anyone with any idea as to the going value? My budget is a little limited, but in theory almost anything is cheaper than $600 just for a pair of UFO brake rotors....

Any information would be helpful, thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If everything is in good shape no more than $250 Might want to factor in new wheel bearings if necessary along with rotors/pads and new hoses. What's wrong with your UFO's? You do know G60's are a downgrade right?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Yoda, thanks for the price info. Bearings were intended as well as the various joints and possibly hoses.

At the outset, yes they are a downgrade, but it opens up new options for calipers and rotors which I currently don't have. Not only that I'm absolutely not driving it hard, and the braking performance won't be missed too much for the time being. It also opens up wheel options, and finally it brings the cost of calipers down from $300, to a more reasonable $50-100.

Originally Posted by yodasfro
If everything is in good shape no more than $250 Might want to factor in new wheel bearings if necessary along with rotors/pads and new hoses. What's wrong with your UFO's? You do know G60's are a downgrade right?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There are upgrade options for the UFO housings HP2(B5 s4 c5 a6) calipers can be bolted on with little modifications. That intern makes it so you can bolt on touareg/cayenne 4 and 6 piston brembos. There are also brackets available for the normal Porsche caliper upgrade too. It's not the UFO calipers that are expensive it's the rotors.
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29978
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49691
Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you even buy UFO calipers anymore? There never was a full overhaul kit for them.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry Yoda, I typed calipers instead of rotors. I blame rum for that.

I have seen both of those threads before, however I don't have access to any machining tools or any experience with it and I don't exactly have money to throw away on destroying hubs.

As for the B6 A4 calipers, I haven't seen any validation that it will work on UFO uprights, only speculation. The calipers and rotors are reasonably cheap, especially if I can get used calipers, so I may just hold off and make an attempt on it this summer.

If any of your guys have actually put stock B6 A4 or S4 calipers and rotors on a V8, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You don't need to machine the UFO hubs all you need is G60 hubs I've done it before. Not sure if stock B6 stuff bolts up but the stoptech kit did in that case. Plenty places sell rebuilt UFO calipers.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ah, that makes more sense. Amd's post didn't mention that G60 hubs will swap onto UFO uprights, which is where I got lost.

The B6 swap sounds like the easier option, and B6 A4's are really quite common so finding a used set up shouldn't be difficult. Only thing I'll likely have to worry about is getting new wheels.

Thanks for all of the insight Yodas!

You don't need to machine the UFO hubs all you need is G60 hubs I've done it before. Not sure if stock B6 stuff bolts up but the stoptech kit did in that case. Plenty places sell rebuilt UFO calipers.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rebuilt UFO Calipers

I've searched many sites for UFO caliper and have never found one. Plenty of G60 Calipers. Do you have a link to a site?

Thanks in advanced, Bob
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check Napa's website. Other places list them but they say out of stock rockauto partsgeek etc. Centric parts list them on there website along with rebuild kits.

Quick Reply: Quick question about V8 brakes, not a how, but a how much money.